Imager with UTF8

joe

Hello. Does anyone know if I can print japanese text with imager. This
is what i did but so far it prints numbers and symbols, no japanese
characters. THanks.

my $font = Imager::Font->new(
file => '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf',
index => 0,
color => $blue,
size => 10.5,
aa => 1);

$img->string(
font=>$font,
text=>$line2,
x=>$x2,
y=>75);

smallpond

Hello. Does anyone know if I can print japanese text with imager. This
is what i did but so far it prints numbers and symbols, no japanese
characters. THanks.

my $font = Imager::Font->new(
file => '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf',
index => 0,
color => $blue,
size => 10.5,
aa => 1);

$img->string(
font=>$font,
text=>$line2,
x=>$x2,
y=>75);

FreeSans has Japanese?

joe

I doubt there is a ttf with many languages. It works great with
english not sure what to do here I have found a couple of posts but no
details on how to implement it. Does imager have a built in font with
all the languages? thanks

RedGrittyBrick

joe said:
I doubt there is a ttf with many languages.

"supporting most major code pages and character sets in modern use ...
Ascender Uni is a 39MB TrueType (TTF) font with approximately 53,000
glyphs" - http://www.ascenderfonts.com/font/ascender-uni.aspx

Arial Unicode MS also has over 50,000 glyphs.
Bitstream Cyberbit has over 10,000 glyphs

Not that I'm recommending the idea of pan-unicode fonts. I believe there
are significant issues for the CJK character sets (which I think may
need to have different language-specific glyphs for many Unicode
codepoints). This might or might not be what joe's question is about.