    my documents in almost the same way that the IMG and A tag's do.

    So how do I include those elements?

    Thanks.
    gaijinco, Aug 28, 2007

  2. gaijinco wrote:
    > I have used HTML for a while now and had tried to jump into XML for a
    > long while but it seems that there is not a tutorial to go from HTML
    > to XML.

    Partly because that isn't actually the correct way of thinking about the
    problem.

    HTML is one specific application of SGML, the Standardized General
    Markup Language. XML is a simplification and evolution of SGML. Both XML
    and SGML are abstractions -- shared basic syntax upon which many
    specific markup languages can be built.

    So the real direct-equivalent transition is really from HTML to some
    ***specific*** XML-based markup language. The most obvious one would be
    XHTML, which is the "next generation" of HTML and which is an XML
    language rather than an SGML language. (XHTML is to XML as HTML is to
    SGML, more or less.)

    > Like any HTML user what I will want is to include images and links in
    > my documents in almost the same way that the IMG and A tag's do.

    How that's done depends on which XML language you're working with. Since
    XHTML is an evolution of HTML, almost all the things you're used to
    doing in HTML will work the same way in XHTML.

    Other languages may represent these in completely different ways, or may
    not have the concepts at all. It may not make sense to have the concept
    of "image" in a language designed for accounting data, for example, and
    links might be specified via something based on XPath and thus not
    require a predefined "anchor" on the receiving end. Or the links may be
    entirely implicit...

    Decide which XML language you're working with; that will determine how
    things are represented, and will determine what you can do with the
    documents -- which may not include viewing them directly in a browser;
    many XML documents are not intended to be directly read by humans and it
    is assumed that you will put them through a stylesheet or some other
    processing to render them into a form suitable for browsing or printing.
    The output of that process may be HTML, XHTML, XSL-FO... or something else.

    XML is a general framework for data markup. Not all markup is display
    markup.

    Joe Kesselman, Aug 28, 2007

  3. gaijinco

    PC Paul Guest

    gaijinco wrote:
    > I have used HTML for a while now and had tried to jump into XML for a
    > long while but it seems that there is not a tutorial to go from HTML
    > to XML.
    >
    > Like any HTML user what I will want is to include images and links in
    > my documents in almost the same way that the IMG and A tag's do.
    >
    > So how do I include those elements?
    >
    > Thanks.

    This is what you need to read:

    <http://www.xfront.com/rescuing-xslt.html>

    The probem it tries to solve is excatly the one you are having - how to
    go from writing HTML to using XSL to generate your HTML.

    Well worth a read.
    PC Paul, Aug 28, 2007