Images display intermittently in ASP 3.0 page

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dave, Sep 6, 2007.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I have an ASP 3.0 website on which the images are displaying intermittently.

    In other words, when I request a page, the image is blank. There is no
    missing image place marker (rectangle with a red X).

    The location where the image should be is just empty.

    The code is there to display the image as can be seen when you view source
    in the browser

    And if you later return to the page, or sometimes if you simply refresh it,
    the image will render properly.

    What could be causing this erratic behavior?

    I'm not sure whether this is an ASP issue, an HTML issue, a browser issue
    (the error occures in IE 6.0) or possibly a network issue.

    Any thoughts are appreciated.

    Thanks
    Dave

    Dave, Sep 6, 2007

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Here is some follow up information to my original post.

    This evening I tried to access the web page from home. In 60 tries I was
    unable to reproduce the error (i.e., all images were always displayed
    properly).

    At the office where I encountered the error I am using IE 6.0. At home
    where I am not encountering the error I am using IE 7.0 (i.e., Mozilla/4.0
    (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR
    2.0.50727; InfoPath.1))

    I did an analysis of the site statistics and found 4 user sessions today
    where the user was referred to the site, made multiple requests for the same
    question in rapid succession and then left.

    This behavior is consistent with the problem I am seeing; that some images
    are not being displayed on the page so the user tries to refresh the page
    several times and when he is unsucessful, gives up and leaves,

    If anyone has time, they can try to reproduce the error by going to
    http://www.frickcpa.com/tvom/TVOM_Answer.asp?qno=10

    At the office I can always produce an errror within abount 2 dozen tries.

    I load the page and then click the HP-12C link near the bottom. I should
    see two graphics for Question 10, each with an image of the HP-12C
    calculator at the top, followed by images of a set of key strokes.

    Sometimes I see both images, sometimes I see one, sometimes I see a partial
    image and sometimes I see only the text with no images at all.

    I never see a missing image icon (rectangle with a red x), just a gap where
    the image should be. As I said previously, if I go into the brower's view
    source, I see all of the HTML code to render the image; it's just not being
    displayed. If I keep refreshing the page, the image eventually displays.

    This problem has me perplexed because I have not encountered it on other
    sites. In other words, I can't ever remember going to a site where there
    were big blank gaps where the images should have rendered, I've seen
    missing image placeholders before but not just empty spaces.

    Any thoughts are appreciated.

    Dave, Sep 6, 2007

  3. Dave wrote on Wed, 5 Sep 2007 21:43:50 -0700:

    > If anyone has time, they can try to reproduce the error by going to http://www.frickcpa.com/tvom/TVOM_Answer.asp?qno=10

    The images appear to be just references to GIF files. If these are just
    pulling the GIFs direct from IIS, and they're not being generated via ASP
    (eg you have isapi_rewrite running and the GIFs are actually generated on
    the fly by ASP code), then you'd be better off posting in an IIS group as it
    won't be an ASP issue.

    Check the logs to see if there is something odd going on with the requests
    for the images (ideally with a request from you when it goes wrong so you
    know that it's actually failed). Do you have any sort of proxy/caching
    server in front of your IIS server that might be serving empty images?

    Also, when you get blank images, go to your Temporary Internet Files folder
    in IE and try to find the cached image files, copy them somewhere else (so
    they don't get removed), and then take a look at them using a graphics
    editor/hex editor to see if maybe there's some sort of corruption going on.

    One other thing to check - does your IIS have HTTP Compression enabled?
    Maybe that's corrupting the images so they're actually being delivered to
    the browser, but due to being corrupt it's unable to actually display it
    correctly and just shows a blank area.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Sep 6, 2007
  4. "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Here is some follow up information to my original post.
    >
    > This evening I tried to access the web page from home. In 60 tries I was
    > unable to reproduce the error (i.e., all images were always displayed
    > properly).
    >
    > At the office where I encountered the error I am using IE 6.0. At home
    > where I am not encountering the error I am using IE 7.0 (i.e., Mozilla/4.0
    > (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR
    > 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1))
    >
    > I did an analysis of the site statistics and found 4 user sessions today
    > where the user was referred to the site, made multiple requests for the

    same
    > question in rapid succession and then left.
    >
    > This behavior is consistent with the problem I am seeing; that some images
    > are not being displayed on the page so the user tries to refresh the page
    > several times and when he is unsucessful, gives up and leaves,
    >
    > If anyone has time, they can try to reproduce the error by going to
    > http://www.frickcpa.com/tvom/TVOM_Answer.asp?qno=10
    >
    > At the office I can always produce an errror within abount 2 dozen tries.
    >
    > I load the page and then click the HP-12C link near the bottom. I should
    > see two graphics for Question 10, each with an image of the HP-12C
    > calculator at the top, followed by images of a set of key strokes.
    >
    > Sometimes I see both images, sometimes I see one, sometimes I see a

    partial
    > image and sometimes I see only the text with no images at all.
    >
    > I never see a missing image icon (rectangle with a red x), just a gap

    where
    > the image should be. As I said previously, if I go into the brower's view
    > source, I see all of the HTML code to render the image; it's just not

    being
    > displayed. If I keep refreshing the page, the image eventually displays.
    >
    > This problem has me perplexed because I have not encountered it on other
    > sites. In other words, I can't ever remember going to a site where there
    > were big blank gaps where the images should have rendered, I've seen
    > missing image placeholders before but not just empty spaces.
    >
    > Any thoughts are appreciated.

    Works fine for me IE6 on 2000 and IE7 on XP.

    Is the blank gap the right size for the image?

    Sounds like a browser problem to me, its very doubtful that ASP or the
    network is to blame.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Sep 6, 2007