images editing question

RonW

Hi,

I am starting (again) making a website. The background is like a piece of
writing paper.
I want to place some pictures on a page and I want it to look like a
photograph lying on the background, with a little shadow edge under it and
an edge like an old photograph ( sort of a ragged white edge )around the
image.
I know I have to edit the picture with an image editor, but I just cannot
find the right one. I have Paint Shop Pro 7, Adobe's Photoshop, but they
don't have the editing options needed to make the picture like I want them
to.
Anyone knows an image editor that will do the things I described above ?
I know it is possible, I've seen it before on some websites..

Thanks for the attention and ( if possible ) ..help

Ron

RonW said:
Hi,

I am starting (again) making a website. The background is like a piece of
writing paper.
I want to place some pictures on a page and I want it to look like a
photograph lying on the background, with a little shadow edge under it and
an edge like an old photograph ( sort of a ragged white edge )around the
image.

Learn how to use layers well in Gimp or Photoshop.
I know I have to edit the picture with an image editor, but I just cannot
find the right one. I have Paint Shop Pro 7, Adobe's Photoshop, but they
don't have the editing options needed to make the picture like I want them
to.
Anyone knows an image editor that will do the things I described above ?
I know it is possible, I've seen it before on some websites..

Gimp is as advanced as Photoshop, but more specialized for web
graphics and free. Runs a bit slow on winboxes compared to linux, and
you have to save often on winblows. But if anything will do the
job, it will. Be sure to download one of the big Gimp books, too.
The learning curve is about as steep as photoshop, so brace
for a busy day. Go to gimp.org.

RonW

Ok,

I'll have a go at Gimp ( I have Linux and Solaris on my pc too, so don't
have to run it in Windows.. ;-)

Ron

brucie

ulead photoimpact is an easy to use package. http://ulead.com/