images in java applet not showing

Discussion in 'Java' started by Navodit, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. Navodit

    Navodit Guest

    I am working on a collaborative whiteboard application. So I have this piece
    of code which is supposed to be using 2 jar files. I have been told that the
    jar files (whiteboard.jar and collab.jar) work fine. However when the
    whiteboard is displayed then the images of the icons (New, Close, draw line,
    draw arrow etc) dont show up even though the whiteboard works perfectly
    fine. Even the tooltip text can be seen when the mouse is placed over the
    icons and I can perform all the functions required of the whiteboard. My
    question is:

    What could be the reason for the images of the icons not showing up ?

    The images are not included in the jar file but are in a folder called gifs
    which is in the same folder as the jar files. I tried including the images
    in the jar file but that still did not work !
    The code that I use (in a .asp file) to invoke the applet is as follows:

    <OBJECT classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93" width="600"
    height="400" align="baseline">
    <PARAM NAME="code"
    VALUE="com.inMeeting.client.whiteboard.WhiteBoardApplet.class">
    <PARAM NAME="archive" VALUE="collab.jar, whiteboard.jar">
    <PARAM NAME="-Doracle.jdbc.Trace" VALUE="true">
    <PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2">
    <PARAM NAME="scriptable" VALUE="true">
    <PARAM NAME="MAYSCRIPT" VALUE="true">
    <PARAM NAME="username" VALUE="<%=Request.QueryString.Item("username")%>">
    <PARAM NAME="meetID" VALUE="<%=Request.QueryString.Item("meetID")%>">
    <COMMENT>
    <!--<EMBED type="application/x-java-applet;version=1.3"
    width="10" height="50" align="baseline"%
    pluginspage="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.3/plugin-install.html">
    code="com.inMeeting.client.whiteboard.WhiteBoardApplet.class"
    archive="collab.jar, whiteboard.jar"
    MAYSCRIPT="true"
    username="<%=Request.QueryString.Item("username")%>"
    meetID="<%=Request.QueryString.Item("meetID")%>"
    <NOEMBED> -->
    </COMMENT>
    No Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition v 1.3 support for APPLET!!
    </NOEMBED>
    </EMBED>
    </OBJECT>

    Can anyone suggest why this could be happening ? Or take a educated guess as
    to where I should look for the error ? Any help/hints would be appreciated.
    Thanks....

    Navodit, Jun 15, 2006

  2. Navodit

    Andy Flowers Guest

    Navodit wrote:
    > I am working on a collaborative whiteboard application. So I have this piece
    > of code which is supposed to be using 2 jar files. I have been told that the
    > jar files (whiteboard.jar and collab.jar) work fine. However when the
    > whiteboard is displayed then the images of the icons (New, Close, draw line,
    > draw arrow etc) dont show up even though the whiteboard works perfectly
    > fine. Even the tooltip text can be seen when the mouse is placed over the
    > icons and I can perform all the functions required of the whiteboard. My
    > question is:
    >
    > What could be the reason for the images of the icons not showing up ?
    >
    > The images are not included in the jar file but are in a folder called gifs
    > which is in the same folder as the jar files. I tried including the images
    > in the jar file but that still did not work !
    > The code that I use (in a .asp file) to invoke the applet is as follows:
    >

    > <OBJECT classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93" width="600"
    > height="400" align="baseline">
    > <PARAM NAME="code"
    > VALUE="com.inMeeting.client.whiteboard.WhiteBoardApplet.class">
    > <PARAM NAME="archive" VALUE="collab.jar, whiteboard.jar">
    > <PARAM NAME="-Doracle.jdbc.Trace" VALUE="true">
    > <PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2">
    > <PARAM NAME="scriptable" VALUE="true">
    > <PARAM NAME="MAYSCRIPT" VALUE="true">
    > <PARAM NAME="username" VALUE="<%=Request.QueryString.Item("username")%>">
    > <PARAM NAME="meetID" VALUE="<%=Request.QueryString.Item("meetID")%>">
    > <COMMENT>
    > <!--<EMBED type="application/x-java-applet;version=1.3"
    > width="10" height="50" align="baseline"%
    > pluginspage="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.3/plugin-install.html">
    > code="com.inMeeting.client.whiteboard.WhiteBoardApplet.class"
    > archive="collab.jar, whiteboard.jar"
    > MAYSCRIPT="true"
    > username="<%=Request.QueryString.Item("username")%>"
    > meetID="<%=Request.QueryString.Item("meetID")%>"
    > <NOEMBED> -->
    > </COMMENT>
    > No Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition v 1.3 support for APPLET!!
    > </NOEMBED>
    > </EMBED>
    > </OBJECT>
    >

    > Can anyone suggest why this could be happening ? Or take a educated guess as
    > to where I should look for the error ? Any help/hints would be appreciated.
    > Thanks....

    How are you attempting to read the images ?

    Personally I'd put them into the jar file and read them from there, perhaps
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/applet.html#images or
    http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0240.html might help ?

    Andy Flowers, Jun 15, 2006

  3. Navodit

    Navodit Guest

    I am using a pre Java 1.4 plug-in in my code. Does that make any difference
    ? In particular I am using Java 1.3 plugin... Also if I look at the Java
    Console it does not show any error which means that it is able to locate the
    image but during display instead of showing the image icon it is only
    showing some buttons ... Any idea what cd be going on ?

    Navodit, Jun 15, 2006