Images; Ken Burns effect

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Gary Duncan, Jul 1, 2005.

  1. Gary Duncan

    Gary Duncan Guest

    Hi all,

    My first incursion into this group so apologies if the following
    question is misplaced.

    That is, I'm trying to find some free javascript which implements
    the "ken burns effect" on images, eg .jpegs in a CD slideshow,
    or similar.

    I've seen a bit of JS which zooms images but doesn't handle
    the panning effect.

    NOTE ; I stumbled over some cute zooming/panning effects using JS
    but it seemed to use a proprietary libary object *ts_zoom*,
    from 'images.macys.com.'

    Mysterious;

    Help appreciated.

    - Gary ( http://gmduncan.com )
    Gary Duncan, Jul 1, 2005

  2. Gary Duncan

    VK Guest

    > the "ken burns effect" on images

    It's not as easy as Heimlich maneuver, but it can be done.

    After you'll have finished searching what "Heimlich maneuver" means,
    you may want to describe the exact effect you're willing to reach w/o
    referring to Ken Burns. Not everyone here is a fan of this producer.
    Some of them (however terrible it may sound) never seen one his movie
    (like myself). :)
    VK, Jul 2, 2005

  3. Gary Duncan

    mscir Guest

    Gary Duncan wrote:

    <snip>
    > I'm trying to find some free javascript which implements
    > the "ken burns effect" on images, eg .jpegs in a CD slideshow,
    > or similar.
    >
    > I've seen a bit of JS which zooms images but doesn't handle
    > the panning effect.
    >
    > NOTE ; I stumbled over some cute zooming/panning effects using JS
    > but it seemed to use a proprietary libary object *ts_zoom*,
    > from 'images.macys.com.'

    The images that pan and zoom that I saw at the macys site used Flash.
    Maybe if you explain specifically what you want to do (it sounds like
    you want a slideshow, image zoom and panning) people could provide
    specific answers. If you google for 'javascript slideshow' you'll see
    lots of hits.

    Mike
    mscir, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Gary Duncan

    mscir Guest

    Re: Images; Ken Burns effect [MORE]

    Gary Duncan wrote:
    > I received a couple of replies (thank you), one of which pointed me at a
    > JS site with lots of scripts (which I'd visited anyway), and another
    > from someone who seemed not to be a Ken Burns fan , and who asked me
    > say exactly what I was after, without mentioning his name. Hmmm ;)
    >
    > Seems he implied there is not "The" KB effect, but "particular" KB effects.
    > Fair enough - thats why I'm asking.
    >
    > A bit of background; I hadn't heard of KB until I recently upgraded
    > my Apple iPhoto app ; its slide-show feature had an option,
    > "Use Ken Burns Effect" which was on by default.
    >
    > It displays an image by slowly panning around it with a slow in-out
    > zoom. Its very effective - although I gather some folk find it
    > yawnful after a while. Well I didn't, and suspect most casual viewers
    > of slideshows wouldn't either. YMMV - particularly if you're like
    > my second respondent ;)

    You might want to consider buying s/w to do a Ken Burns:

    http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7418

    The Ken Burns Effect
    (http://www.digitalzoo.com.au/lunchtime/lunch_docs/related_07_ken_burns.htm#top)

    Software:
    MemoriresOnTV (http://www.picturetotv.com/)
    iMovie (http://www.apple.com/imovie/) - Ken Burns' Effect is actually
    part of the program
    Moving Picture (http://www.stagetools.com/)
    Final Cut Pro (FCP) (http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/)
    Still Life (http://www.grantedsw.com/still-life/)
    Photo to Movie (http://lqgraphics.com/software/phototomovie.php)
    Stillmotion Creator (http://www.imagematics.com/)
    PhotoJam (http://www.shockwave.com/sw/content/photojam)
    Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/dmehome.asp)

    Mike
    mscir, Jul 2, 2005
  5. Gary Duncan

    VK Guest

    Re: Images; Ken Burns effect [MORE]

    > Thanks for the response. Seems I'll have to roll-my-own;
    > maybe even using Pythons Imaging Library functions.

    Why are you refusing to use Macromedia Flash? The chances are high that
    you have an option simply export your iMovie file into .swf (or find a
    plugin for it).

    I guess I understand now what "Ken Burns Effect" is for you: as a
    combination of zooming, re-positioning and transitions of still images
    put on a timeline (with some narrations also added I guess). It's
    really a call for Flash. It *can* be mimic by JavaScript (at least on
    IE) by playing with transitions
    (<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/filter/filters.asp>),
    styles, timers and bgsound.src
    Though it's kind of writing a JavaScript version of Quake.
    Theoretically possible, but why?
    VK, Jul 2, 2005
  6. Gary Duncan

    Gary Duncan Guest

    Gary Duncan wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >

    > My first incursion into this group so apologies if the following
    > question is misplaced.
    >
    > That is, I'm trying to find some free javascript which implements
    > the "ken burns effect" on images, eg .jpegs in a CD slideshow,
    > or similar.

    I received a couple of replies (thank you), one of which pointed me at a
    JS site with lots of scripts (which I'd visited anyway), and another
    from someone who seemed not to be a Ken Burns fan , and who asked me
    say exactly what I was after, without mentioning his name. Hmmm ;)

    Seems he implied there is not "The" KB effect, but "particular" KB effects.
    Fair enough - thats why I'm asking.

    A bit of background; I hadn't heard of KB until I recently upgraded
    my Apple iPhoto app ; its slide-show feature had an option,
    "Use Ken Burns Effect" which was on by default.

    It displays an image by slowly panning around it with a slow in-out
    zoom. Its very effective - although I gather some folk find it
    yawnful after a while. Well I didn't, and suspect most casual viewers
    of slideshows wouldn't either. YMMV - particularly if you're like
    my second respondent ;)

    > I've seen a bit of JS which zooms images but doesn't handle
    > the panning effect.
    >
    > NOTE ; I stumbled over some cute zooming/panning effects using JS
    > but it seemed to use a proprietary libary object *ts_zoom*,
    > from 'images.macys.com.'

    My first respondent somehow thought I meant 'ts_zoom' was a browser
    feature. Not so ; seems - as I said - its part of a proprietary library.
    It takes args like ts_zoom.pan( "up"|"right"|"down" , <pixel_count> )

    As implied I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel and write my own version.

    - Gary

    > Mysterious;
    >

    > Help appreciated.

    Repeat.

    Gary Duncan, Jul 2, 2005
  7. Gary Duncan

    Gary Duncan Guest

    mscir wrote:
    > Gary Duncan wrote:
    >
    >> I received a couple of replies (thank you), one of which pointed me at a
    >> JS site with lots of scripts (which I'd visited anyway), and another
    >> from someone who seemed not to be a Ken Burns fan , and who asked me
    >> say exactly what I was after, without mentioning his name. Hmmm ;)
    >>
    >> Seems he implied there is not "The" KB effect, but "particular" KB
    >> effects.
    >> Fair enough - thats why I'm asking.
    >>
    >> A bit of background; I hadn't heard of KB until I recently upgraded
    >> my Apple iPhoto app ; its slide-show feature had an option,
    >> "Use Ken Burns Effect" which was on by default.
    >>
    >> It displays an image by slowly panning around it with a slow in-out
    >> zoom. Its very effective - although I gather some folk find it
    >> yawnful after a while. Well I didn't, and suspect most casual viewers
    >> of slideshows wouldn't either. YMMV - particularly if you're like
    >> my second respondent ;)

    > You might want to consider buying s/w to do a Ken Burns:

    You mean spend money , in this age of free, Open-Source ? ;)

    Well I know Mac-users are conditioned to having a drip-feed
    inserted into their wallet , but include me out of that scenario.

    Thanks for the response. Seems I'll have to roll-my-own;
    maybe even using Pythons Imaging Library functions.

    (In my situation, the interpretive language is not an issue )

    - Gary

    Gary Duncan, Jul 2, 2005