    Again, if by now someone has a more sophisticated version,
    I'd like it.

    - Gary

    Gary Duncan, Aug 30, 2005

  2. Gary Duncan

    Erwin Moller Guest

    Gary Duncan wrote:

    > A few months ago - if memory serves - I posted a query here
    > as to whether anyone had a bit of Javascript which could
    > be used to render this effect on an image in a WEB-browser.
    >
    > Didn't get the magic solution I hoped for (some recommended
    > using Flash), but anyway I recently managed to get a bit of Javascript
    > from somewhere , and hacked up a simple demo, which may
    > be good enough for my humble purposes.
    >
    > (Look for "Ken Burns Demo" at the top ) :-
    >
    > http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gmduncan/
    >

    > Again, if by now someone has a more sophisticated version,
    > I'd like it.
    >
    > - Gary

    Hi,

    To be honest: It is a fun effect, but plain ugly.
    I wouldn't use it anywhere except on a demopage. :-/

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

    Erwin Moller, Aug 30, 2005

  3. Gary Duncan

    McKirahan Guest

    "Gary Duncan" <> wrote in message

    > A few months ago - if memory serves - I posted a query here
    > as to whether anyone had a bit of Javascript which could
    > be used to render this effect on an image in a WEB-browser.
    >
    > Didn't get the magic solution I hoped for (some recommended
    > using Flash), but anyway I recently managed to get a bit of Javascript
    > from somewhere , and hacked up a simple demo, which may
    > be good enough for my humble purposes.
    >
    > (Look for "Ken Burns Demo" at the top ) :-
    >
    > http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gmduncan/
    >

    > Again, if by now someone has a more sophisticated version,
    > I'd like it.
    >
    > - Gary

    No image under IE5.5.

    Just annoying under FF1.0.6.

    So the image does a figure 8, sort of?

    McKirahan, Aug 30, 2005
  4. Gary Duncan wrote :

    > A few months ago - if memory serves - I posted a query here
    > as to whether anyone had a bit of Javascript which could
    > be used to render this effect on an image in a WEB-browser.
    >
    > Didn't get the magic solution I hoped for (some recommended
    > using Flash), but anyway I recently managed to get a bit of Javascript
    > from somewhere , and hacked up a simple demo, which may
    > be good enough for my humble purposes.
    >
    > (Look for "Ken Burns Demo" at the top ) :-
    >
    > http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gmduncan/
    >

    > Again, if by now someone has a more sophisticated version,
    > I'd like it.
    >
    > - Gary

    Gary, all of your demo, scripts, images consume a lot of system
    resources (cpu and RAM). The worst one is the cursor trailing effect.
    People with modest systems are prone to crash as soon as they move the
    cursor fast.

    Just ask yourself: are these effects/tricks really useful for the
    visitors? adding content? helping the user?

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me

    Gérard Talbot, Aug 30, 2005
  5. Gary Duncan

    Gary Duncan Guest

    McKirahan wrote:
    > "Gary Duncan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>A few months ago - if memory serves - I posted a query here
    >>as to whether anyone had a bit of Javascript which could
    >>be used to render this effect on an image in a WEB-browser.
    >>
    >>Didn't get the magic solution I hoped for (some recommended
    >>using Flash), but anyway I recently managed to get a bit of Javascript
    >>from somewhere , and hacked up a simple demo, which may
    >>be good enough for my humble purposes.
    >>
    >>(Look for "Ken Burns Demo" at the top ) :-
    >>
    >>http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gmduncan/
    >>

    >>Again, if by now someone has a more sophisticated version,
    >>I'd like it.
    >>
    >>- Gary

    > No image under IE5.5.

    Being a Linuxian, I'm not an IE user, but doesn't IE by default
    disable Javascript ? Or is that just Windows XP ?

    Hmm; I saw it work under IE , but maybe that was version 6.0,
    with Javascript enabled.

    > Just annoying under FF1.0.6.

    Well my prototype effort isn't as slick as Apple iPhoto but
    I'm working on it ;) It does show that the KBE can be implemented
    in Javascript without too much complexity, I think.

    I'm thinking of maybe moving the image around for a few secs,
    then zoom it out and freeze it into the window.

    Seems people either love or hate the KBE. I can see it
    could become a bit tiresome, hence using it in
    a slideshow should be optional.

    > So the image does a figure 8, sort of?

    Sort of. But see above.

    - Gary

    Gary Duncan, Aug 30, 2005
  6. Gary Duncan

    ASM Guest

    Erwin Moller wrote:
    > Gary Duncan wrote:
    >>
    >>(Look for "Ken Burns Demo" at the top ) :-
    >>
    >>http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gmduncan/
    >>

    >>Again, if by now someone has a more sophisticated version,
    >>I'd like it.
    >>
    >>- Gary

    > Hi,
    >
    > To be honest: It is a fun effect, but plain ugly.
    > I wouldn't use it anywhere except on a demopage. :-/

    that was done (Ken Burns Demo) :)

    and wow do we stop efects ?
    I'm seasick now :-/

    ASM, Aug 31, 2005
  7. Gary Duncan

    Randy Webb Guest

    Gary Duncan said the following on 8/30/2005 6:19 PM:

    > McKirahan wrote:
    >
    >> "Gary Duncan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> A few months ago - if memory serves - I posted a query here
    >>> as to whether anyone had a bit of Javascript which could
    >>> be used to render this effect on an image in a WEB-browser.
    >>>
    >>> Didn't get the magic solution I hoped for (some recommended
    >>> using Flash), but anyway I recently managed to get a bit of Javascript
    >>> from somewhere , and hacked up a simple demo, which may
    >>> be good enough for my humble purposes.
    >>>
    >>> (Look for "Ken Burns Demo" at the top ) :-
    >>>
    >>> http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gmduncan/
    >>>

    >>> Again, if by now someone has a more sophisticated version,
    >>> I'd like it.
    >>>
    >>> - Gary

    >> No image under IE5.5.

    > Being a Linuxian, I'm not an IE user, but doesn't IE by default
    > disable Javascript ? Or is that just Windows XP ?

    Neither. IE6 and WinXP ship with JS enabled. But I have WinXP SP2 with
    JS enabled and I do not see the image either.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Aug 31, 2005
  8. ASM wrote:
    > Erwin Moller wrote:
    >> Gary Duncan wrote:

    <snip>
    > that was done (Ken Burns Demo) :)

    It is odd after all this time that whatever this "ken Burns effect" is
    supposed to be has not actually been stated. Though not surprising that
    as a result nobody seems interested in how it might be implemented.

    > and wow do we stop efects ?
    > I'm seasick now :-/

    Inducing seasickness has been proposed as one strategy in image
    "protection". The idea being that if you sufficiently disorientate the
    user they will not be able to press the Alt+Shift+PrintScrn key
    combination (or OS equivalent) and grab the image to the clipboard. ;-)

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Aug 31, 2005
  9. Gary Duncan

    Gary Duncan Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > Gary Duncan said the following on 8/30/2005 6:19 PM:
    >
    >> McKirahan wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Gary Duncan" <> wrote in message

    >>> No image under IE5.5.

    >> Being a Linuxian, I'm not an IE user, but doesn't IE by default
    >> disable Javascript ? Or is that just Windows XP ?

    > Neither. IE6 and WinXP ship with JS enabled. But I have WinXP SP2 with
    > JS enabled and I do not see the image either.

    I defer to your experience - but I do recall when I (rarely) used IE 6.0
    under Win-XP (SP2) to access some HTML with Javascript, a warning line come up under the
    navigation bar saying something like "click here to activate scripts".

    A local friend managed to view this demo using IE 6.0 yesterday so
    maybe there's something about your environment I need to take
    into account.

    Any ideas ?

    - Gary

    Gary Duncan, Aug 31, 2005
  10. Gary Duncan

    Gary Duncan Guest

    Richard Cornford wrote:
    > ASM wrote:
    >
    >>Erwin Moller wrote:
    >>
    >>>Gary Duncan wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>that was done (Ken Burns Demo) :)

    > It is odd after all this time that whatever this "ken Burns effect" is
    > supposed to be has not actually been stated. Though not surprising that
    > as a result nobody seems interested in how it might be implemented.

    It's a bit like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle;
    try to define it and it shifts.

    Seriously, "Google" for it - but I doubt that you, like me, will
    find a set of algorithms for it, even tho there's heaps of links to it.

    As far as I can see, its a subjective effect.

    Just pan and zoom in any way you feel like ("the Fred Bloggs effect" ?)

    Correct me if I'm wrong.

    >>and wow do we stop efects ?
    >>I'm seasick now :-/

    In a previous mail I said that my *prototype* demo which is a sort of
    continuous loop, should stop after a few secs and zoom out to give a
    frozen full-size image. To prevent nausea ;)

    - Gary

    Gary Duncan, Aug 31, 2005
  11. Gary Duncan wrote:
    > Richard Cornford wrote:
    >> It is odd after all this time that whatever this "ken Burns effect"
    >> is supposed to be has not actually been stated. Though not
    >> surprising that as a result nobody seems interested in how it might
    >> be implemented.

    > It's a bit like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle;
    > try to define it and it shifts.

    Heisenberg would not have been given a Nobel prize if he had taken that
    attitude.

    > Seriously, "Google" for it -

    Why? I am not the one asking for help, I am one of the many disregarding
    the question as incomplete. It is not reasonable to ask the rest of the
    world to research the subject of your question on an individual basis.

    > but I doubt that you, like me, will
    > find a set of algorithms for it,

    Turning a description into an algorithm and then implementing it is a
    large part of what programming is.

    <snip>
    > Correct me if I'm wrong.

    When what you are doing proves ineffective do you need someone else to
    tell you that you are going about it the wrong way?

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Aug 31, 2005