Images not cacheing in 2.0?

roy anderson

Hey all,
Thought I had this figured out a week ago, but evidently not. Basically
when I publish a site in 2.0, the images aren't cacheing?

For instance, let's say I created a page with a background of 100 tiled
images (and each image was the exact same file). What SHOULD be
happening is that when a user loads the page they are sent the image
just once and it's duplicated 100 times on their end. What IS happening
is that the image is sent 100 times from the server?!

Anyone have any insights on what I should be doing here? Is there some
toggle in VS 2005 I don't know about concerning cacheing? I'm relatively
new to VS 2005.

TIA

Joerg Jooss

Hello roy,
Hey all,
Thought I had this figured out a week ago, but evidently not.
Basically
when I publish a site in 2.0, the images aren't cacheing?
For instance, let's say I created a page with a background of 100
tiled images (and each image was the exact same file). What SHOULD be
happening is that when a user loads the page they are sent the image
just once and it's duplicated 100 times on their end. What IS
happening is that the image is sent 100 times from the server?!

Anyone have any insights on what I should be doing here? Is there some
toggle in VS 2005 I don't know about concerning cacheing? I'm
relatively new to VS 2005.

Static content files are not served by the ASP.NET runtime, unless you configure
IIS to do so. Either these images are marked as non-cacheable, or your client
is configured to reload them regardless of their cacheability.

Cheers,

Amelyan

How can one check whether the images are configured as non-cacheable on the
server?

roy anderson

My question as well. :)
Thanks for the help Joerg

From: Amelyan
How can one check whether the images are configured as non-cacheable on
the
server?

roy anderson

Jeorg,
I've set the toggle in IIS to allow cacheing for all ISAPI and ASP apps.
The kicker here is that the exact same page caches fine when using the
1.1 framework. The image is just sent once. Make the same page in 2.0
and the server sends the image everytime. Rather frustrating.
:(

Amelyan

Roy,

Did you ever get your image caching issue figure out? I am still having
trouble with it.

Thanks,
-Boris

Joerg Jooss

Hello roy,
My question as well. :)
Thanks for the help Joerg
From: Amelyan
How can one check whether the images are configured as non-cacheable
on the server?

For this kind of analysis it's useful to have a debugging proxy that lets
you monitor the HTTP traffic. I usually use Fiddler (www.fiddertool.com),
or browser plug-ins like LiveHttpHeaders. Of course you need to know a bit
of HTTP to understand what's going on ;-)

Cheers,

Joerg Jooss

Hello roy,
Jeorg,
I've set the toggle in IIS to allow cacheing for all ISAPI and ASP
apps.

I don't think that static image files are affected by this, unless they were
mapped to an ISAPI extension.
The kicker here is that the exact same page caches fine when using the
1.1 framework. The image is just sent once. Make the same page in 2.0
and the server sends the image everytime. Rather frustrating.

Hm... how is that background image file referenced? Within a HTML tag? Within
a CSS file? Did you compare the IIS configuration for both installatons?

Cheers,

roy anderson

Hey Joerg,

I'm using a CSS file to reference the images like so:
SPAN, #lblSailDate
{
text-align:center;
border:none 0px;
background-image:url(images\horizontal_middle.gif);
background-position:center;
}

Insofar as the IIS configuration goes, I've actually created a new page
in VS 2003 (using 1.1) and a new page in VS 2005 (using 2.0), placed
them both in new virtual directories on my machine. The only difference
between the IIS configurations (as far as I can tell) is that one
utilizes 2.0 and the other 1.1.

:-/