Images TIFF in .aspx Web page

Guillermo Jimenez

Hi....

Please help me with this case. I need to show an image .TIFF in a .aspx web
page. The web site is developer on Visual Studio 2005. The image control no
support this image format, that control i can use to show this format???

Thanks.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Guillermo said:
Hi....

Please help me with this case. I need to show an image .TIFF in a
.aspx web page. The web site is developer on Visual Studio 2005. The
image control no support this image format, that control i can use to
show this format???
recommended practice), but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net is
a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be lucky enough
to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your question, you
can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a newsgroup
where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest
to help you.

I have no experience with TIFFs so I cannot answer this. I suspect a
standard html element might work but I won't guarantee it.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed
=?Utf-8?B?R3VpbGxlcm1vIEppbWVuZXo=?=
Hi....

Please help me with this case. I need to show an image .TIFF in a
.aspx web page. The web site is developer on Visual Studio 2005. The
image control no support this image format, that control i can use to
show this format???

Thanks.

Browsers can only show gif, jpg and png (every once in a while, an odd
one will show a bmp). You would have to convert the TIFF to one of
those formats. I don't know if there if that is something that .net can
do, but I doubt it.

Anthony Jones

Adrienne Boswell said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed
=?Utf-8?B?R3VpbGxlcm1vIEppbWVuZXo=?=

Browsers can only show gif, jpg and png (every once in a while, an odd
one will show a bmp). You would have to convert the TIFF to one of
those formats. I don't know if there if that is something that .net can
do, but I doubt it.

System.Drawing.Bitmap class can load a TIFF. It's save method can take an
image format parameter to specify the desired output encoding. So its
possible to simply save a JPEG or GIF directly to the Response.OutputStream.

Unfortunately both JPEG and GIF are lossy so PNG is best used if fidelity is
to be maintained. A problem with PNG is that for some reason can't be sent
directly to a stream. In which case a PNG file needs to be generated from
the Bitmap save method then the PNG file sent to the client.