Images\ViewOnly

gh

I am using .net 2.0 and we have a folder with pictures, that get
rendered to a web page. Is there a way we can keep the user from
downloading the photos, by right clicking a photo and choosing save as?

TIA

Patrice

Not really. To be displayed the image has to be available client side where
the user will be able to grab it. Also he could use the Print-Screen etc..
to keep a copy.

Depending on your needs you could include a mention on those images so that
they are not usable as is...

sloan

No, you're only security measure is to "stream" the image, instead of having
hard files on the web server.

Your online bank's images of your checks are (or should be) this way.

But once on the client, they can screen capture (brute force) it no matter
what.

You can ~~try~~ "right click" disablers, but they are only nuisances in the
end, not real security measures.

John Timney \(MVP\)

Your best option is to watermark them, or break them up into tiles and
deliver the tiles, so its not a complete image as such - you have to deliver
them anyway so you cant really protect them but you can make it awkward for
end users to steal them - of course nothing stops a print screen on the
whole browser and cutting the image out in a graphics package.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog