Imaging using PIL

Discussion in 'Python' started by mark, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. mark

    mark Guest

    I feel fairly well versed in getting Tkinter to do what I want, but now
    I'm venturing into the whole imaging thing, and placing text and
    graphics over some static background image. I'm trying to use PIL, but
    what I get from this code is a new window with a gray background, not
    the image I'm trying to open. Here's the code:

    class Imaging:

    def __init__(self, parent):

    working = self.working = Toplevel(parent)

    type = gui.mediavar.get()
    print type
    if type == 15:
    print 'Should see small label'
    self.labelimage = 'labelsmall.gif'
    elif type == 25:
    print 'Should see large label'
    self.labelimage = 'labelbig.gif'
    self.img = PhotoImage(file =
    'C:/ClearView_Printer/' + self.labelimage)
    self.width = self.img.width()
    self.height = self.img.height()
    self.canvas = Canvas(working, width =
    self.width, height = self.height, selectborderwidth = 0)
    self.canvas.pack(side = TOP, fill = BOTH, expand
    = 0)
    self.canvas.create_image(0, 0, anchor = NW,
    image = self.img)

    I'm currently getting code reference from Python and Tkinter Programming
    by John E. Grayson. Most of the stuff in there is heavy in image
    mapping, but there seem to be some core elements I can use, I just don't
    seem to be using them correctly. Any input would be appreciated.

    TIA,

    - Mark
    mark, Oct 14, 2003

  2. "mark" <>

    > I feel fairly well versed in getting Tkinter to do what I want, but now I'

    m venturing into the whole
    > imaging thing, and placing text and graphics over some static background

    image.
    > I'm trying to use PIL, ....

    ? What has PIL to do wth it?

    > ... but what I get from this code is a new window with a gray background,
    > not the image I'm trying to open.

    The code looks o.k. Maybe width or height are zero (because of some peculiar
    GIF problem); in that case the Canvas would be invisible and you would just
    see the gray Toplevel...

    Kindly
    MichaelP
    Michael Peuser, Oct 14, 2003