imap localhost: Unsupported authentication mechanism.

T

Thufir

How do you login to localhost imap?

code:

require 'rubygems'
require 'net/imap'

imap = Net::IMAP.new('localhost')
imap.authenticate('LOGIN', 'thufir', 'password')
imap.examine('INBOX')
imap.search(["RECENT"]).each do |message_id|
envelope = imap.fetch(message_id, "ENVELOPE")[0].attr["ENVELOPE"]
puts "#{envelope.from[0].name}: \t#{envelope.subject}"
end

running the code:

thufir@dur:~/ruby$
thufir@dur:~/ruby$ ruby imap.rb
/home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1141:in`get_tagged_response': Unsupported authentication mechanism. (Net::IMAP::NoResponseError)
from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1195:in `block in send_command'
from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:211:in `mon_synchronize'
from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1177:in `send_command'
from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:402:in `authenticate'
from imap.rb:6:in `<main>'

I'm using dovecot-postfix and dovecot-imapd on Ubuntu 12.04. Thunderbird connects to IMAP on localhost and reads fine with the above configuration (different password, of course).

The host is dur.bounceme.net of which bounceme.net is owned and operated (e-mail address removed), and which I've registered that FQDN host name. It doesn't resolve to anything on DNS, it's just to have a FQDN. I'm not sending nor receiving to the internet at large, everything is on localhost, aka dur..bounceme.net, and, of course, to re-iterate, thunderbird just connects to an IMAP server on localhost (dovecot-imapd) and works fine.

I don't see how it's an Unsupported authentication mechanism. (Net::IMAP::NoResponseError) given that Thunderbird connects fine.

thanks,

Thufir

T

Thufir

this works:

require 'net/imap'
imap.login('thufir','password')
puts "logged in"
imap.select('INBOX')
mailIds = imap.search(['ALL'])
mailIds.each do |id|
msg = imap.fetch(id,'RFC822')[0].attr['RFC822']
puts msg
end
imap.logout()
imap.disconnect()

I'll look into the distinction tomorrow. So, of course, in asking the question I found the answer.

T

Thufir

Ok, it's morning and I've looked at the code now. For the record, I adopted the working code from <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6715256/ruby-net-imap-archive-mail>.

I'll leave it for later as to why the sample from the NET::IMAP gem invokes a different method (function?). The documentation sample uses imap.authenticate while the sample from stackoverflow uses imap.login for some reason.

I'm sure that reading the API would explain this, I'll go back to the gem documentation. I don't recall seeing mention of this on the gem web page, but maybe I didn't notice.

-Thufir

1935blackhawk

code:

require 'rubygems'

require 'net/imap'

imap.examine('INBOX')

end

running the code:

/home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1141:in `get_tagged_response': Unsupported authentication mechanism. (Net::IMAP::NoResponseError)

from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1195:in `block in send_command'

from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:211:in `mon_synchronize'

from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1177:in `send_command'

from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:402:in `authenticate'

I'm using dovecot-postfix and dovecot-imapd on Ubuntu 12.04. Thunderbirdconnects to IMAP on localhost and reads fine with the above configuration (different password, of course).

The host is dur.bounceme.net of which bounceme.net is owned and operated by (e-mail address removed), and which I've registered that FQDN host name. It doesn't resolve to anything on DNS, it's just to have a FQDN. I'm not sending nor receiving to the internet at large, everything is on localhost, aka dur.bounceme.net, and, of course, to re-iterate, thunderbird just connects to an IMAP server on localhost (dovecot-imapd) and works fine.

I don't see how it's an Unsupported authentication mechanism. (Net::IMAP::NoResponseError) given that Thunderbird connects fine.

thanks,

Thufir

1935blackhawk

code:

require 'rubygems'

require 'net/imap'

imap.examine('INBOX')

end

running the code:

/home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1141:in `get_tagged_response': Unsupported authentication mechanism. (Net::IMAP::NoResponseError)

I'm using dovecot-postfix and dovecot-imapd on Ubuntu 12.04. Thunderbirdconnects to IMAP on localhost and reads fine with the above configuration (different password, of course).

The host is dur.bounceme.net of which bounceme.net is owned and operated by (e-mail address removed), and which I've registered that FQDN host name. It doesn't resolve to anything on DNS, it's just to have a FQDN. I'm not sending nor receiving to the internet at large, everything is on localhost, aka dur.bounceme.net, and, of course, to re-iterate, thunderbird just connects to an IMAP server on localhost (dovecot-imapd) and works fine.

please remove this feature from my pc

thanks,

Thufir

Ask a Question