imap localhost: Unsupported authentication mechanism.

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Thufir, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Thufir

Thufir Guest

How do you login to localhost imap?

code:

require 'rubygems'
    require 'net/imap'

imap = Net::IMAP.new('localhost')
    imap.authenticate('LOGIN', 'thufir', 'password')
    imap.examine('INBOX')
    imap.search(["RECENT"]).each do |message_id|
    envelope = imap.fetch(message_id, "ENVELOPE")[0].attr["ENVELOPE"]
    puts "#{envelope.from[0].name}: \t#{envelope.subject}"
    end

running the code:

thufir@dur:~/ruby$
    thufir@dur:~/ruby$ ruby imap.rb
    /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1141:in`get_tagged_response': Unsupported authentication mechanism. (Net::IMAP::NoResponseError)
    from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1195:in `block in send_command'
    from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:211:in `mon_synchronize'
    from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1177:in `send_command'
    from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:402:in `authenticate'
    from imap.rb:6:in `<main>'
    thufir@dur:~/ruby$

I'm using dovecot-postfix and dovecot-imapd on Ubuntu 12.04. Thunderbird connects to IMAP on localhost and reads fine with the above configuration (different password, of course).

The host is dur.bounceme.net of which bounceme.net is owned and operated , and which I've registered that FQDN host name. It doesn't resolve to anything on DNS, it's just to have a FQDN. I'm not sending nor receiving to the internet at large, everything is on localhost, aka dur..bounceme.net, and, of course, to re-iterate, thunderbird just connects to an IMAP server on localhost (dovecot-imapd) and works fine.

I don't see how it's an Unsupported authentication mechanism. (Net::IMAP::NoResponseError) given that Thunderbird connects fine.

thanks,

Thufir

Thufir, Dec 14, 2012
    1. Advertising

2. Thufir

Thufir Guest

Thufir, Dec 14, 2012
    1. Advertising

3. Thufir

Thufir Guest

this works:

require 'net/imap'
    imap = Net::IMAP.new('localhost')
    imap.login('thufir','password')
    puts "logged in"
    imap.select('INBOX')
    mailIds = imap.search(['ALL'])
    mailIds.each do |id|
    msg = imap.fetch(id,'RFC822')[0].attr['RFC822']
    puts msg
    end
    imap.logout()
    imap.disconnect()

I'll look into the distinction tomorrow. So, of course, in asking the question I found the answer.

Thufir, Dec 14, 2012
  4. Thufir

Thufir Guest

Ok, it's morning and I've looked at the code now. For the record, I adopted the working code from <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6715256/ruby-net-imap-archive-mail>.

I'll leave it for later as to why the sample from the NET::IMAP gem invokes a different method (function?). The documentation sample uses imap.authenticate while the sample from stackoverflow uses imap.login for some reason.

I'm sure that reading the API would explain this, I'll go back to the gem documentation. I don't recall seeing mention of this on the gem web page, but maybe I didn't notice.

-Thufir

Thufir, Dec 14, 2012
  5. Thufir

On Friday, December 14, 2012 3:55:12 AM UTC-8, Thufir wrote:
    > How do you login to localhost imap?
    >
    >
    >
    > code:
    >
    >
    >
    > require 'rubygems'
    >
    > require 'net/imap'
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > imap = Net::IMAP.new('localhost')
    >
    > imap.authenticate('LOGIN', 'thufir', 'password')
    >
    > imap.examine('INBOX')
    >
    > imap.search(["RECENT"]).each do |message_id|
    >
    > envelope = imap.fetch(message_id, "ENVELOPE")[0].attr["ENVELOPE"]
    >
    > puts "#{envelope.from[0].name}: \t#{envelope.subject}"
    >
    > end
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > running the code:
    >
    >
    >
    > thufir@dur:~/ruby$
    >
    > thufir@dur:~/ruby$ ruby imap.rb
    >
    > /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1141:in `get_tagged_response': Unsupported authentication mechanism. (Net::IMAP::NoResponseError)
    >
    > from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1195:in `block in send_command'
    >
    > from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:211:in `mon_synchronize'
    >
    > from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1177:in `send_command'
    >
    > from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:402:in `authenticate'
    >
    > from imap.rb:6:in `<main>'
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm using dovecot-postfix and dovecot-imapd on Ubuntu 12.04. Thunderbirdconnects to IMAP on localhost and reads fine with the above configuration (different password, of course).
    >
    >
    >
    > The host is dur.bounceme.net of which bounceme.net is owned and operated by , and which I've registered that FQDN host name. It doesn't resolve to anything on DNS, it's just to have a FQDN. I'm not sending nor receiving to the internet at large, everything is on localhost, aka dur.bounceme.net, and, of course, to re-iterate, thunderbird just connects to an IMAP server on localhost (dovecot-imapd) and works fine.
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't see how it's an Unsupported authentication mechanism. (Net::IMAP::NoResponseError) given that Thunderbird connects fine.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    >
    >
    > Thufir

, Apr 16, 2014
  6. Thufir

On Friday, December 14, 2012 3:55:12 AM UTC-8, Thufir wrote:
    > How do you login to localhost imap?
    >
    >
    >
    > code:
    >
    >
    >
    > require 'rubygems'
    >
    > require 'net/imap'
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > imap = Net::IMAP.new('localhost')
    >
    > imap.authenticate('LOGIN', 'thufir', 'password')
    >
    > imap.examine('INBOX')
    >
    > imap.search(["RECENT"]).each do |message_id|
    >
    > envelope = imap.fetch(message_id, "ENVELOPE")[0].attr["ENVELOPE"]
    >
    > puts "#{envelope.from[0].name}: \t#{envelope.subject}"
    >
    > end
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > running the code:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > thufir@dur:~/ruby$ ruby imap.rb
    >
    > /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1141:in `get_tagged_response': Unsupported authentication mechanism. (Net::IMAP::NoResponseError)
    >
    > from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1195:in `block in send_command'
    >
    > from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:211:in `mon_synchronize'
    >
    > from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:1177:in `send_command'
    >
    > from /home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/imap.rb:402:in `authenticate'
    >
    > from imap.rb:6:in `<main>'
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm using dovecot-postfix and dovecot-imapd on Ubuntu 12.04. Thunderbirdconnects to IMAP on localhost and reads fine with the above configuration (different password, of course).
    >
    >
    >
    > The host is dur.bounceme.net of which bounceme.net is owned and operated by , and which I've registered that FQDN host name. It doesn't resolve to anything on DNS, it's just to have a FQDN. I'm not sending nor receiving to the internet at large, everything is on localhost, aka dur.bounceme.net, and, of course, to re-iterate, thunderbird just connects to an IMAP server on localhost (dovecot-imapd) and works fine.
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't see how it's an Unsupported authentication mechanism. (Net::IMAP::NoResponseError) given that Thunderbird connects fine.
    >
    >
    >please remove this feature from my pc
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    >
    >
    > Thufir