Impersonate specific user in code with Windows 2008

AvaDev

ASP.Net 2.

We are migrating to Windows 2008 64 bit Server with IIS 7 from Windows 2003
32 Bit with IIS 6. A few library classes we wrote uses impersonation in code
like explained in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306158#4

This doesn't work in Windows 2008 Server, we receive the following exception:

Security Exception
by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission
please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust
level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Access is denied.

Source Error:

[SecurityException: Access is denied.]
System.Security.Principal.WindowsImpersonationContext.Undo() +2787836
System.Security.Principal.WindowsImpersonationContext.Dispose(Boolean
disposing) +36
System.Security.Principal.WindowsImpersonationContext.Dispose() +9
System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetName() +227
System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.get_Name() +31
MyProject.MyLibrary.Library.Security.Impersonate.get_CurrentIdentity() in
MyPath\Security\ImpersonateUser.cs:204
MyProject.MyLibrary.Library.Security.Impersonate.get_Impersonating() in
MyPath\Security\ImpersonateUser.cs:214
MyProject.MyLibrary.Library.Security.Impersonate.UndoImpersonation() in
MyPath\Security\ImpersonateUser.cs:262
MyProject.MyLibrary.Library.Event.Registration.MyFunction(String
directoryName, String accountNumber) in
MyPath\Event\Registration\WebPublisher.cs:41
EventEdit.MyFunction() +72
EventEdit.btnMyFunction_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +10
System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnClick(EventArgs e) +90
System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String
eventArgument) +76

System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +177
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +7350
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint,
Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +213
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +86
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +18
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49
ASP.event_edit_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +4

System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +358
completedSynchronously) +64

I did double check the policy and it is running on full trust. Full
(Internal).

If you look at the linked article, the impersonation code is calling
advapi32 and kernel32, I am guessing that is why it is failing. So my
question is, is there a code example / article out there for how to do this
on Windows 2008? Or is there an alternate method of impersonating a specific
account in code.

This is the exact code that I am using and is failing (i've removed all the
other functionality to isolate the problem).

Impersonate impersonate = new
Impersonate(LogonProvider.LOGON32_PROVIDER_WINNT50);

try {
impersonate.ImpersonateUser(myusername, mydomain, mypassword);

}
finally {
impersonate.UndoImpersonation();
}

Thx.

AvaDev

I forgot, this is the exact code that handles the impersonation. I can't find
the original article which had this....

using System;
using System.Web;
using System.Security.Principal;
using System.Security.Permissions;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Threading;

namespace EnterpriseUtilities
{
/// <summary>
/// used for connecting to other Logon Providers
/// </summary>
public enum LogonProvider
{
LOGON32_PROVIDER_DEFAULT = 0,
LOGON32_PROVIDER_WINNT40 = 2,
LOGON32_PROVIDER_WINNT50 = 3
}

/// <summary>
/// Used to change the level of impersonation on remote systems
/// </summary>
public enum ImpersonationLevel
{
SecurityAnonymous = 0,
SecurityIdentification,
SecurityImpersonation,
SecurityDelegation
}

public enum LogonTypes
{
//logon types
LOGON32_LOGON_INTERACTIVE = 2,
LOGON32_LOGON_NETWORK = 3,
LOGON32_LOGON_BATCH = 4,

// Windows2000
LOGON32_LOGON_NETWORK_CLEARPASSWORD = 8,
LOGON32_LOGON_NEW_CREDENTIALS = 9
}

/// <summary>
/// Impersonate a specific user in the domain.
/// Note that the user account on the calling process must have
/// the SE_TCB_NAME priviledge when running on W2k.
/// This can be given using Local Policy MMC and adding account to
/// "Act as Part of the Operationg System". For ASP.NET applications the
calling
/// user context is usually ASPNET user.
/// </summary>
public class Impersonate
{
#region Dll Imports
[DllImport("advapi32.dll", CharSet=CharSet.Auto, SetLastError=true)]
public static extern bool LogonUser(String lpszUsername, String
lpszDomain, String lpszPassword,
int dwLogonType, int dwLogonProvider, ref IntPtr phToken);

[DllImport("advapi32.dll", CharSet=CharSet.Auto, SetLastError=true)]
public extern static bool DuplicateToken(IntPtr hToken, int
impersonationLevel, ref IntPtr hNewToken);

[DllImport("kernel32.dll", CharSet=CharSet.Auto, SetLastError=true)]
public static extern bool CloseHandle(IntPtr handle);

[DllImport("advapi32.dll", SetLastError=true)]
public static extern int ImpersonateLoggedOnUser(IntPtr hToken);

[DllImport("advapi32.dll", SetLastError=true)]
static extern int RevertToSelf();
#endregion

#region MEMBER VARIABLES
private IntPtr token = IntPtr.Zero;
private IntPtr dupToken = IntPtr.Zero;
private LogonProvider _logonProvider;
private ImpersonationLevel _impersonationLevel;
private string _originalUser = Thread.CurrentPrincipal.Identity.Name;
private LogonTypes _logonType;
private bool impersonated = false;
#endregion

#region CONTRUCTORS
public Impersonate(LogonProvider logonProvider, ImpersonationLevel level,
LogonTypes logonType)
{
this._logonProvider = logonProvider;
this._impersonationLevel = level;
this._logonType = logonType;
}

public Impersonate(LogonProvider logonProvider, ImpersonationLevel level)
: this (logonProvider, level, LogonTypes.LOGON32_LOGON_NETWORK) {}

public Impersonate(LogonProvider logonProvider) : this (logonProvider,
ImpersonationLevel.SecurityImpersonation, LogonTypes.LOGON32_LOGON_NETWORK) {}

public Impersonate() : this(LogonProvider.LOGON32_PROVIDER_DEFAULT,
ImpersonationLevel.SecurityImpersonation, LogonTypes.LOGON32_LOGON_NETWORK) {}

#endregion

#region PUBLIC PROPERTIES

public ImpersonationLevel Level
{
get { return this._impersonationLevel; }
set { this._impersonationLevel = value; }
}

public LogonTypes LogonType
{
get { return this._logonType; }
set { this._logonType = value; }
}

public string CurrentIdentity
{
get
{
return Thread.CurrentPrincipal.Identity.Name;

/// <summary>
/// Property returns whether or not an impersonation is occurring
/// </summary>
public bool Impersonating
{
get
{
return this.CurrentIdentity != this._originalUser;

#endregion

#region PUBLIC METHODS
/// <summary>
/// Impersonates a specific user in the domain. This changes the process
/// identity to the impersonated user's security context.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="domain">Domain name</param>
/// <param name="username">Login ID</param>
/// <param name="password">Password</param>
public void ImpersonateUser(string domain, string username, string password)
{
ImpersonateUser(domain, username, password, false);
}
/// <summary>
/// Impersonates a specific user in the domain. This changes the process
/// identity to the impersonated user's security context.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="domain">Domain name</param>
/// <param name="username">Login ID</param>
/// <param name="password">Password</param>
/// <param name="justLogon">Do not process impersonisation.</param>
public void ImpersonateUser(string domain, string username, string
password, bool justLogon)
{
if (Impersonating) throw new System.Security.SecurityException("You are
already impersonating " + CurrentIdentity);

impersonated = LogonUser(username,
domain,
password,
(int)_logonType,
(int)_logonProvider,
ref token);

//check the error
if(!impersonated) throw new Win32Exception(Marshal.GetLastWin32Error());

if (!justLogon) ImpersonateLoggedOnUser(token);
}

/// <summary>
/// Reverts back to the original process identity.
/// </summary>
public void UndoImpersonation()
{
if (impersonated) RevertToSelf();
if (token != IntPtr.Zero) CloseHandle(token);
if (dupToken != IntPtr.Zero) CloseHandle(dupToken);
}
#endregion

AvaDev said:
[...]

One more update as I keep debugging. I am impersonating domain account for
the website, which seems to make a difference because if I add my the user to
the local admin group, I get no errors.

In web.config I impersonate like this:

<identity impersonate="true" userName="domain\myuser" password="mypwd" />

So now it seems like a security policy problem with this user. I found this
somewhat related post.

http://forums.asp.net/p/905562/1001414.aspx

Any help is appreciated. Thx.

AvaDev said:
[...]

Patrice,

The IIS_USRS is already part of "Impersonate a Client After Authentication",
I did add the domain user as well just in case.

I added the domain user to "Create Global Objects", but still get the same
error.

I issued gpupdate /force after making these changes.

Is there a way to debug/log what user is requesting / failing the specific
permission?

Thx.