impersonate web service process account - ASPNET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by esource, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. esource

    esource Guest

    Hello all,
    I have a web service in vb.net that is trying to call a VB6 com
    component. The VB6 app works off active directory. When I make a call
    from my web service I get an error like this:

    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004006C): The
    currently logged on user cannot be located in the application roles
    identified on the NT application server...

    >From my web service I setup the web config file to impersonate my

    windows account (which is setup in active directory and will work with
    the vb6 app). I also have tried my account in directory security in
    IIS with anonymous access on and off. I still get the error.
    I'm guessing that when my web service calls the vb6 com component it
    is doing it as the ASPNET process identity account (which is not setup
    in active directory) and fails authentication. I thought that if you
    add this line:
    <identity impersonate="true" userName="xxx" password="xxxxx" />
    to your web config file then the ASPNET account will impersonate it,
    but it does not seem to work. Anyone have an understanding of the
    process identity account and how to not use it from my web service?
    or am I missing one other config? maybe in machine.config??
    thanks
    esource, Aug 9, 2007