Impersonation on Windows 2003 Server

Craig Neuwirt

Does a user being impersonated within and ASP.NET application (using
programatic impersonation) on a Windows 2003 Server machine need any
different privileges or policies than the same ASP.NET user and application
running under Windows XP. I am using a set of classes that expose the COM
Windows TaskScheduler. When I try to instantiate the COM class within an
ASP.NET Application on Windows 2003 Server, I get an access denied, but not
when running under Windows Xp.

Thanks,
craig

Guest

in Windows Server 2003 the process that runs your web apps is called wp3.exe
and the user account is "Network Service". This account does not by default
have permissions to create COM objects (which involves accessing the
registry). The TaskSchedulerAPI tries to write a file to a directory (don't
remember where) in the operating system. You may be getting an "Access
Denied" error because "Network Service" does not have permissions to this
system folder.

Craig Neuwirt

I neglected to say that the account I am using for impersonation is in the
Administrator group. Therefore, it should be able to write to any
directory. I am wondering if it is more of a permission/policy problem than
a true access problem.

thanks,
craig