Impersonation Problems HELP!!!!!!!!

Sean McKaharay

Hey All,

This is what I have. I have an application running on Server1 and I have
impersonation equal to true. I have another Server2 as a file server. I want
my asp application to create a file on Server2 but it is giving me a login
screen then tell me I don't have privileges on the Server2 box to write
anything on it. When I look at the security log on Server2 it show that "NT
AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON" is loging into the box. When I run locally on
Server1 and do the same process I show that I log in as me and I have no
problems creating the file. I am trying to find a fix for creating the file.
I thought that if I have impersonation equal to true I would use my
credentials on the application.

Any Help would be great,
Sean

William F. Robertson, Jr.

If you are running IIS 5.0, it is easiest to turn impersonation off and for
the process model manually set the password (remove autogenerate). Then
create a user on server2 called aspnet and set the password to the same.

If you are running IIS 6.0, there might be a little more involved, but let
me know and I will be glad to help you.

HTH,
bill

Sean McKaharay

Both the application server and the file server are 2003 boxes so they are
IIS 6.0.

William F. Robertson, Jr.

Good choice, I am very happy with my 2003 servers. I have Web Edition and
the File serving one.

(when I say aspnet I mean the user account you are trying to use, but I
would recommend aspnet)
You will have to set the identity for the application pool. (by default I
believe it is Network Service). I chose to use aspnet as my worker identity
since running aspnet_regiis -i creates the IIS_WPG group and sets all the
permission you are going to need. Make sure that your password is manually
set from this tab and from Computer Management -> Users. (make sure the
password never expires for the user)

You will need to ensure that IIS_WPG has read, list, execute access to the
folder of your website.

Create a user account called aspnet and set the password to the same on your
fileserver.

If you are using NT Authentication let me know because there is something
else that needs to be done.

How are you trying to write the file out to the other server?

bill

Chris Moore

Have you granted the Impersonate privilege to the ASPNET account on your
server? That can cause this problem on Windows 2003 Server and Win2K SP4.

Chris

Sean McKaharay

Yes I have