Implementig a XCAP web server: Ebb and Rack ?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Iñaki Baz Castillo, Aug 27, 2009.

  1. Hi, I plan to deploy a web server to implement a XCAP service (it's basical=
    ly=20
    a web server which handles body with specific XML content). Some examples:

    =2D The client requests a XML document (GET) so the server replies it in th=
    e=20
    body of the 200 OK.

    =2D The client stores a XML document (PUT) in the server, so the server=20
    validates it and stores in a DB table.

    There are a lot of web servers built in Ruby and I'm getting a bit crazy by=
    =20
    tryting to choose one. I've read about Ebb web server (which seems to be ve=
    ry=20
    fast) and RACK (which seems to be a framework to build the application by=20
    receiving requests from the web service, Ebb in this case).

    Unfortunatelly, by reading the doc of RACK (Ebb has no doc at all) I can't=
    =20
    figure how to build the application:
    http://rack.rubyforge.org/doc/

    RACK doc also talks about "middleware" (buff...) which annoy me even more.=
    =20
    Anyhow I think that what I want to achieve doesn't require more middleware.=
    =20
    But I would like to have some "get started" guidelines to work with RACK. F=
    or=20
    example, a ismple example:

    A web server that receive a request and replies "200 OK" if the request URL=
    is=20
    "/yes" and "404 Not Found" is the request URL is "/no".

    Could I get some tips on how to build this simple example with Ebb and RACK?

    Thanks a lot.

    =2D-=20
    I=C3=B1aki Baz Castillo <>

    Iñaki Baz Castillo, Aug 27, 2009