    Someone could help me and give me some ideas?

    tnx,
    Gabriele

    Gabriele Farina, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Gabriele Farina

    Max M Guest

    Gabriele Farina wrote:

    > I guys
    >
    > I planned to create a new programming language to use to develop web
    > applications for my company.
    >
    > I'd like to develop it using Python, but I don't know if python is fast
    > enaught.
    >
    > Someone could help me and give me some ideas?

    You will only end up developing a poor version of Python. (or lisp I
    hear) Why do you want to do this. There are many better solutions.

    Ie. a combination of Page Templates from Zope, and Python.

    regards Max M

    Max M, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Gabriele Farina

    Peter Otten Guest

    Gabriele Farina wrote:

    > I guys
    >
    > I planned to create a new programming language to use to develop web
    > applications for my company.
    >
    > I'd like to develop it using Python, but I don't know if python is fast
    > enaught.

    The Python developers, regarded as smart over here, used C :)
    However, there seems to be an effort under way to implement Python in
    Python, so it should be doable.

    > Someone could help me and give me some ideas?

    Web applications are not rocket science, so why not adopt an existing
    language instead of burning your company's money. While we're at it, why
    not use Python - I admit I'm biased - and spend your resources on improving
    an existing web framework.

    Peter

    Peter Otten, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Peter Otten wrote:

    > Gabriele Farina wrote:
    >
    >> I guys
    >>
    >> I planned to create a new programming language to use to develop web
    >> applications for my company.
    >>
    >> I'd like to develop it using Python, but I don't know if python is fast
    >> enaught.

    > The Python developers, regarded as smart over here, used C :)
    > However, there seems to be an effort under way to implement Python in
    > Python, so it should be doable.

    Sure. And somebody European, like Gabriele, who's at all interested
    in that, should RUN to http://codespeak.net/pypy/ and get a plane
    (cheap -- I've found a trip there and back for EUR 120 + taxes, though
    that specific special offer is over now) and lodging (we're doing our
    best to find cheap ways for that too) to be in Amsterdam on Dec 14-21
    for the fifth pypy "sprint". With the Amsterdam effort we plan/hope
    to release a big but not-too-slow cpypy.so (actually generated via
    pyrex) -- not quite independent from CPython yet, of course, but still,
    a complete and usable Python runtime whose sources are in Python (we
    have one now, but running it in purely interpreted Python isn't exactly,
    ahem, FAST:). The Python->C translation (with some type annotation)
    that's intended to give us cpypy.so from the current Python pypy sources
    is done via pypy itself, btw, with a special objectspace. ((Plus, we
    plan/hope to release cool tools for interactive display/debug of pypy
    AND most particularly superior testing tools.))

    I know it sounds incestuous and makes one's head spin, but if you
    study all the materials available on the pypy site (including the
    complete pypy sources), as is of course advisable before coming all
    the way to the sprint, it really ain't all that bad -- try it. And
    then the Sprint experience is going to be VERY advisable for anybody
    interested in programming language implementation of and/or with Python --
    if your head doesn't explode you'll know a LOT more when you go back,

    >> Someone could help me and give me some ideas?

    > Web applications are not rocket science, so why not adopt an existing
    > language instead of burning your company's money. While we're at it, why
    > not use Python - I admit I'm biased - and spend your resources on
    > improving an existing web framework.

    Yes, it IS nearly inconceivable that creating a new programming
    language -- rather than using Python and the wealth of tools &c already
    available for it -- is going to be cost/benefit-effective for a company.

    Or, using Ruby, Lisp, Scheme, etc, etc, are all choices likely to be
    still more cost/benefit-effective than developing a new language, even
    though I agree with you that Python's likely to be best (in most, though
    not all, situations of web application development -- e.g. if the firm
    happens to have a Ruby guru or three already onboard, that may change
    the equation).

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Oct 31, 2003