Implementing "Forget Me"

Gary

We have implemented "Remember Me" with the following call:

FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage(txtUsername, cbRememberMe.checked)

We have a need now to allow users to be voluntary forgotten. Is there
anyway we can programatically take back the cookie we issued?
thanks,
Gary

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Gary,

Thank you for posting here. Based on your description, you want to let the
customer manually remove the FormAutentication's login cookie info when
they've logined before and chose the "remember me". Please correct me if I
misunderstanding your problem.

As for the FormAuthentication of ASP.NET. When you call the
FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage(txtUsername,
cbRememberMe.checked), the user's login cookie(token) will be genrerated.
And the "cbRememberMe.checked" will control whether to persisit the client
login cookie for the next time user visit the web application. However,
this rely on that the user haven't logon out during the last visit, because
when the user logout, the login cookie and token is no longer valid. And in
Form Authentication, you can call the "FormsAuthentication.SignOut()" to do
the logout operation. As for the problem in this issue, I think you may
programatically call the "FormsAutenticaion.SignOut()" to terminate the
user's login cookie. How do you think of this means?

Please try out my suggestion to see whether it is helpful. If you have any
questions on my description, please feel free to post here.

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Gary,

Have you had any progress on this issue or have you resolved it?
Please feel free to post here if you need any assistant.