import CSV file directly into a dataset

darrel

is that doable?

I have built a CSV string using a stringbuilder.

I now want to take this data and populate a DS.

How do I do that?

I've gotten this far:

dim ds as new dataset
Dim objOleDbAdapter As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
Dim objConnect2 As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection("[THIS IS WHERE I'M
STUCK]'")
objOleDbAdapter.Fill(ds)

As you can see, I'm stumped on the actual connection string. I have examples
connecting to a physical file, but not a string.

-Darrel

Jacob

You probably need to loop through each line of your CSV and create a
DataRow from the data. Then add the DataRow to your DataTable.

intrader

is that doable?

I have built a CSV string using a stringbuilder.

I now want to take this data and populate a DS.

How do I do that?

I've gotten this far:

dim ds as new dataset
Dim objOleDbAdapter As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
Dim objConnect2 As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection("[THIS IS WHERE I'M
STUCK]'")
objOleDbAdapter.Fill(ds)

As you can see, I'm stumped on the actual connection string. I have examples
connecting to a physical file, but not a string.

-Darrel
Another way, write an XML schema to represent the CSV. Then load the XML
into the dataset.

darrel

You probably need to loop through each line of your CSV and create a
DataRow from the data. Then add the DataRow to your DataTable.

Well, in hindsight, that probably makes a lot more sense. Just go from DS to
new DS.

I'll give that a shot!

-Darrel

Guest

If you look around there are several implementations of "CSVDataReaders"
around.
With a file, its easy - just use a JET OleDb connection string to the folder
with the Text file provider nomenclature, and do "select * from mystuff.csv"
and it goes right into an OleDbDataReader.
Peter

darrel

With a file, its easy

Right. But I don't have a file...just a string.

I suppose I could write the string to a file then reimport. In the end,
though, I tought it probably makes more sense just to go from DS to DS
instead of CSV in the middle.

-Darrel