Import Error: Shared object not open

Discussion in 'Python' started by satish, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. satish

    satish Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a python module generated by SWIG. When I try to import the module I
    get the following error :

    >>> import overturec

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    File "/home/world0/SWIGTEST/overturec.py", line 4, in ?
    import _overturec
    ImportError: .6: shared object not open

    I am sure this has got something to do with the *sys.path* . I tried editing
    it in all possible ways. I am not getting rid of this error.

    Can someone advise me ??
    --
    SATISH KUMAR CHIMAKURTHI
    Graduate Teaching Assistant

    satish, Oct 3, 2003

  2. satish

    John J. Lee Guest

    satish <> writes:
    > I have a python module generated by SWIG. When I try to import the module I
    > get the following error :

    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    > File "/home/world0/SWIGTEST/overturec.py", line 4, in ?
    > import _overturec
    > ImportError: .6: shared object not open
    >
    > I am sure this has got something to do with the *sys.path* . I tried editing
    > it in all possible ways. I am not getting rid of this error.

    [...]

    Never seen that error before.

    What platform (operating system) is this? What version of Python
    (probably not important, but useful to state it)?

    Where is _overturec.so (or whatever the filename is)? What's your
    sys.path? Have you tried running ldconfig or setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

    Try putting the extension shared library in the current directory and
    then trying to importing it directly (import _overturec).

    John

    John J. Lee, Oct 5, 2003