Import form mail into database...yes???

SAH

Is it possible to directly import information sent to you via a form mail
email into a database of some kind ??

Basically, I want to have an online form where people will send me
application info. I would receive the results via email in a standard form
mail format. How can I import that info into some type of database without
retyping all the info each time ??

Thanks for reading.

Sean.

EightNineThree

SAH said:
Is it possible to directly import information sent to you via a form mail
email into a database of some kind ??

Basically, I want to have an online form where people will send me
application info. I would receive the results via email in a standard form
mail format. How can I import that info into some type of database without
retyping all the info each time ??

Thanks for reading.

This is very possible.
To do so, you will need to use a server-side scripting language like PHP,
ASP, etc.
Which one does your host support?

Nico Schuyt

SAH said:
Is it possible to directly import information sent to you via a form
mail email into a database of some kind ??

Don't use the mail. With PHP you can put the information on a form directly
in a record of a (MySQL)database.
Regards, Nico

SAH

My host uses PHP 4.32 with Zend Optimization, ASP, CGI, and Perl 5.

Do you know of any good online help sites regarding this, I'm not a newbie
to HTML but I have never setup a database yet like this.

Sean.

Default User

SAH said:
Is it possible to directly import information sent to you via a form mail
email into a database of some kind ??

Basically, I want to have an online form where people will send me
application info. I would receive the results via email in a standard form
mail format. How can I import that info into some type of database without
retyping all the info each time ??

Why do you want it emailed? Is it going to the same server where the
user form is located? If so, then you just need a form handler that does
what you want.

Brian Rodenborn

Augustus

SAH said:
Is it possible to directly import information sent to you via a form mail
email into a database of some kind ??

Basically, I want to have an online form where people will send me
application info. I would receive the results via email in a standard form
mail format. How can I import that info into some type of database without
retyping all the info each time ??

I can't give you links to websites to help you out, since PHP and Perl
aren't my thing (but I am sure a google search will help you out)

To do what you want is pretty simple to do, except you are thinking of it
backwards...

You are using a form with a MAILTO: to send the results to you by email and
then you want them put into a database...

Instead, what you want is the form to send the results to a PHP page
The PHP page takes the form results and puts them into a database
The PHP page then send you an email (either sending the values of the form
or just notification that new data has been entered into your database - if
it does this, then you need a PHP page to view and print/manipulate your
database)

SAH

OK, I see what you are saying. How does one go about setting this all up ? I
have been doing some reading today and it seems like I would have to learn
to program in MySQL to do this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

To again state what it is I want to do;

I want to be able to have people enter application data into a form online,
and have it compiled into a database without having to retyping each
application. Keeping in mind that I need to keep it simple as some of the
people will be less than internet savvy to say the least.

Thanks for the info so far, much appreciated.

Sean.

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "SAH"
<webit@[NOSPAM]accesswave.ca> writing in

OK, I see what you are saying. How does one go about setting this all
up ? I have been doing some reading today and it seems like I would
have to learn to program in MySQL to do this. Please correct me if I'm
wrong.

To again state what it is I want to do;

I want to be able to have people enter application data into a form
online, and have it compiled into a database without having to retyping
each application. Keeping in mind that I need to keep it simple as some
of the people will be less than internet savvy to say the least.

Thanks for the info so far, much appreciated.

I can show you in ASP, adjust accordingly for PHP. Say you want to collect
names, email addresses, and cities.

Page used to collect information:
<form id="collectinfo" method="post" action="collect_post.asp">
<fieldset>
<label for="namea">Your Name: </label> <input type="text" name="namea"
id="namea" value="<%=namea%>" />
<label for="email">Email: <label> <input type="text" name="email"
id="email" value="<%=email%>" />
<label for="city">City: </label> <input type="text" name="city" id="city"
value="<%=city%>" />
<input type="submit" value="Submit" />
</fieldset>
</form>

<!-- the values of <%=value%> are for filling in the fields if they come
back from making a mistake -->

Page used to process:
<%

dim namea
dim email
dim city
dim insert

'you can do some checking for required fields here and send them back to
'the original page if something is missing

namea = request.form("namea")
email = request.form("email")
city = request.form("city")

'this insert statement is standard SQL

insert = "INSERT INTO tablename "
insert = insert & " (namea, email, city)"
insert = insert & " VALUES ('" & namea & "', "
insert = insert & "'" & email & "', "
insert = insert & "'" & city & "')"

myconn.Execute insert

'myconn is however you connect to your database

response.redirect "thankyou.asp"

%>

This is in ASP classic, and I'm sure PHP isn't that different. Hmm... I'm
supposed to be teaching myself PHP...