    retyping all the info each time ??

    Thanks for reading.

    Sean.
    SAH, Sep 7, 2003

  2. "SAH" <webit@[NOSPAM]accesswave.ca> wrote in message
    news:zfz6b.67259$...
    > Is it possible to directly import information sent to you via a form mail
    > email into a database of some kind ??
    >
    > Basically, I want to have an online form where people will send me
    > application info. I would receive the results via email in a standard form
    > mail format. How can I import that info into some type of database without
    > retyping all the info each time ??
    >
    > Thanks for reading.

    This is very possible.
    To do so, you will need to use a server-side scripting language like PHP,
    ASP, etc.
    Which one does your host support?

    --
    Karl Core

    Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.
    EightNineThree, Sep 7, 2003

  3. SAH

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    SAH wrote:
    > Is it possible to directly import information sent to you via a form
    > mail email into a database of some kind ??

    Don't use the mail. With PHP you can put the information on a form directly
    in a record of a (MySQL)database.
    Regards, Nico
    Nico Schuyt, Sep 7, 2003
  4. SAH

    SAH Guest

    My host uses PHP 4.32 with Zend Optimization, ASP, CGI, and Perl 5.

    Do you know of any good online help sites regarding this, I'm not a newbie
    to HTML but I have never setup a database yet like this.

    Sean.

    SAH, Sep 7, 2003
  5. SAH

    Default User Guest

    SAH wrote:

    > Is it possible to directly import information sent to you via a form mail
    > email into a database of some kind ??
    >
    > Basically, I want to have an online form where people will send me
    > application info. I would receive the results via email in a standard form
    > mail format. How can I import that info into some type of database without
    > retyping all the info each time ??

    Why do you want it emailed? Is it going to the same server where the
    user form is located? If so, then you just need a form handler that does
    what you want.

    Brian Rodenborn
    Default User, Sep 8, 2003
  6. SAH

    Augustus Guest

    > Is it possible to directly import information sent to you via a form mail
    > email into a database of some kind ??
    >
    > Basically, I want to have an online form where people will send me
    > application info. I would receive the results via email in a standard form
    > mail format. How can I import that info into some type of database without
    > retyping all the info each time ??

    I can't give you links to websites to help you out, since PHP and Perl
    aren't my thing (but I am sure a google search will help you out)

    To do what you want is pretty simple to do, except you are thinking of it
    backwards...

    You are using a form with a MAILTO: to send the results to you by email and
    then you want them put into a database...

    Instead, what you want is the form to send the results to a PHP page
    The PHP page takes the form results and puts them into a database
    The PHP page then send you an email (either sending the values of the form
    or just notification that new data has been entered into your database - if
    it does this, then you need a PHP page to view and print/manipulate your
    database)
    Augustus, Sep 8, 2003
  7. SAH

    SAH Guest

    OK, I see what you are saying. How does one go about setting this all up ? I
    have been doing some reading today and it seems like I would have to learn
    to program in MySQL to do this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    To again state what it is I want to do;

    I want to be able to have people enter application data into a form online,
    and have it compiled into a database without having to retyping each
    application. Keeping in mind that I need to keep it simple as some of the
    people will be less than internet savvy to say the least.

    Thanks for the info so far, much appreciated.

    Sean.

    SAH, Sep 8, 2003
  8. SAH

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "SAH"
    <webit@[NOSPAM]accesswave.ca> writing in

    > "Augustus" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "SAH" <webit@[NOSPAM]accesswave.ca> wrote in message
    >> > Is it possible to directly import information sent to you via a form
    >> > mail email into a database of some kind ??
    >> >
    >> > Basically, I want to have an online form where people will send me
    >> > application info. I would receive the results via email in a
    >> > standard form mail format. How can I import that info into some type
    >> > of database without retyping all the info each time ??

    >> I can't give you links to websites to help you out, since PHP and Perl
    >> aren't my thing (but I am sure a google search will help you out)
    >>
    >> To do what you want is pretty simple to do, except you are thinking of
    >> it backwards...
    >>
    >> You are using a form with a MAILTO: to send the results to you by
    >> email and then you want them put into a database...
    >>
    >> Instead, what you want is the form to send the results to a PHP page
    >> The PHP page takes the form results and puts them into a database
    >> The PHP page then send you an email (either sending the values of the
    >> form or just notification that new data has been entered into your
    >> database - if it does this, then you need a PHP page to view and
    >> print/manipulate your database)
    >>

    > OK, I see what you are saying. How does one go about setting this all
    > up ? I have been doing some reading today and it seems like I would
    > have to learn to program in MySQL to do this. Please correct me if I'm
    > wrong.
    >
    > To again state what it is I want to do;
    >
    > I want to be able to have people enter application data into a form
    > online, and have it compiled into a database without having to retyping
    > each application. Keeping in mind that I need to keep it simple as some
    > of the people will be less than internet savvy to say the least.
    >
    > Thanks for the info so far, much appreciated.

    I can show you in ASP, adjust accordingly for PHP. Say you want to collect
    names, email addresses, and cities.

    Page used to collect information:
    <form id="collectinfo" method="post" action="collect_post.asp">
    <fieldset>
    <label for="namea">Your Name: </label> <input type="text" name="namea"
    id="namea" value="<%=namea%>" />
    <label for="email">Email: <label> <input type="text" name="email"
    id="email" value="<%=email%>" />
    <label for="city">City: </label> <input type="text" name="city" id="city"
    value="<%=city%>" />
    <input type="submit" value="Submit" />
    </fieldset>
    </form>

    <!-- the values of <%=value%> are for filling in the fields if they come
    back from making a mistake -->

    Page used to process:
    <%

    dim namea
    dim email
    dim city
    dim insert

    'you can do some checking for required fields here and send them back to
    'the original page if something is missing

    namea = request.form("namea")
    email = request.form("email")
    city = request.form("city")

    'this insert statement is standard SQL

    insert = "INSERT INTO tablename "
    insert = insert & " (namea, email, city)"
    insert = insert & " VALUES ('" & namea & "', "
    insert = insert & "'" & email & "', "
    insert = insert & "'" & city & "')"

    myconn.Execute insert

    'myconn is however you connect to your database

    response.redirect "thankyou.asp"

    %>

    This is in ASP classic, and I'm sure PHP isn't that different. Hmm... I'm
    supposed to be teaching myself PHP...

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com