Import to dbase via excel

Vishal

Hello,

I need to import data from a excel file into a SQL
Server. I would like to provide an asp.net interface for
that purpose. What would be the best to do that? A simple
textarea where the user can insert his data and press the
import button? The excel will be a csv file and some
values can be also empty or null. Pleas advise me.

Thanks

Jeff Dillon

Well, you can either upload the file to the server, or have the user enter
the values into your textarea. Your choice.

If uploading, Software Artisans has file upload components

Jeff

Vishal

I think i will go with the 2nd option. Once the user has
entered the values like this:

1,2,3
4,5,6,
7,8,9

How do I then read it line by line so that I can insert
each line to my dbase table?

Thanks

Vishal

As said I will go with the second option and therefore I
cant use the Excel Odbc driver.

Antonio Ambrosio

Upload the csv file in a folder monitored by a SQLServer 2000 sheduled DTS.
The only step of the DTS is importing the file in the db

Jeff Dillon

Oops, sorry. Then just parse the text using string functions like Split and
Mid

Jeff