Important Stack Trace Data Missing When App Moved

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by RC, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. RC

    RC Guest

    I have implemented an error logging routine that writes out the stack trace
    (associated with the Exception object). It tells me the exact line(s) of
    code that lead up to the Exception.
    Example:
    at MyApp.MyPage.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyApp\SubDir\MyPage.aspx.cs:line 87

    The problem I'm asking for help with is this: While testing this
    application, I created a copy of it - same development machine, just in a
    different virtual directory. This manually created copy of the application
    works fine except that the Stack trace is missing the [line of code that
    choked] information.
    Example:
    at MyApp.MyPage.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

    FWIW: the computer is Win2KPro; the original application (directory
    structure, virtual directory, etc) was created with VS.NET 2003; the copy
    was created manually - all same properties via the IIS admin tool except
    that I didn't include the Front Page server extensions.

    What can I do to get the [full path to the line of code that choked] data in
    the manually created copy of the application?

    Thanks!

    RC, Nov 30, 2004

  2. RC

    bruce barker Guest

    turn on debug - required to get line numbers

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Nov 30, 2004

  3. RC

    RC Guest

    Thanks Bruce - right you are - and in my case I simply failed to copy the
    updated PDB file over when I recompiled (gotta bring both the dll and pdb).

    -RC

    RC, Nov 30, 2004