Importing a .webpart with the ImportCatalogPart (.Net 2.0)

J. Jespersen

Hi people,

I fiddling with webparts, and have created my own custom webpart from
scratch. The webpart itself is contained in a myPart.dll

I have two different sites. SiteA and SiteB. Both are webparts-based.

I have added the webpart to my toolbox, and added it to a
declarativeCatalogPart, and finally added the webpart to a webPartZone. No
problemo. I have allowed the webpart for export, and have exported it to a
myPart.webpart file on my local desktop. All of this is done in SiteA.

Question is....

How do I actually import the webpart (both the .webpart AND the .dll) into
SiteB? If i do an import of the .webpart from an ImportCatalogPart, i get a
"Cannot import this webpart" error, which I guess is understandable, as the
..webpart contains only descriptive xml for the actual part. But how do I
allow a "regular" user to add my part to his own personalized page? Is this
possible at all, or MUST an admin install the .dll in the GAC og /bin
folder?

Any and all tips and pointers are appreciated.

J.Jespersen
Denmark