Importing from another site.

Miss Take

We have a site that includes a list of offices listed on another site.
Those offices are in one cell of a table on that site. We don't want to
include the rest of the page as it contains links we don't want on our
site. Is there any way to include that cell only, on our page?

Hywel

Miss Take said:
We have a site that includes a list of offices listed on another site.
Those offices are in one cell of a table on that site. We don't want to
include the rest of the page as it contains links we don't want on our
site. Is there any way to include that cell only, on our page?

Ask the owners of the other site to mark up the content with some
specifically formatted comments so that you can then use something like
PHP to remotely open the file over HTTP, parse it, then display the
content.

Miss Take

Mark said:
Or if it isn't going to change often, manual copy and paste. :)

Therein lies the problem. It is subject to change. Neither site is hosted
where I can put in the necessary scripting. And, the client wants to avoid
sending people to another site, even in its own window.

I suppose I could cobble together a real Rube Goldberg script that uses wget
to grab the other page, runs it thru sed to change the links and ftps it to
the client site...but that is an ugly way to go. :-(

Mark Parnell

Therein lies the problem. It is subject to change. Neither site is hosted
where I can put in the necessary scripting. And, the client wants to avoid
sending people to another site, even in its own window.

Your client sounds paranoid. :)
I suppose I could cobble together a real Rube Goldberg script that uses wget
to grab the other page, runs it thru sed to change the links and ftps it to
the client site...but that is an ugly way to go. :-(

Without access to scripting on either site, something along those lines
may be the only way to go (short of convincing your client otherwise).
:-|