Importing WMI module into Python CGI script fails

Discussion in 'Python' started by MK, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. MK

    MK Guest

    I'm working with IIS on W2K server. I'm trying to
    use module "wmi" in a CGI script but with no success.

    The following works:

    import cgitb; cgitb.enable()
    cgi.test()

    .... but the following isn't working:

    import cgitb; cgitb.enable()
    import wmi ## fails here, with msg "wmi undefined"
    cgi.test()

    Any ideas? I can import all the other modules (e.g. sys)
    except "wmi". Also, when I run the same script in IDLE
    (cgi stuff removed), it works. Sys.path has all the needed
    directories, including script's directory, and WMI's
    directory.

    MK, Jul 20, 2003

  2. MK

    Peter Hansen Guest

    MK wrote:

    > I'm working with IIS on W2K server. I'm trying to
    > use module "wmi" in a CGI script but with no success.
    >
    > The following works:
    >
    > import cgitb; cgitb.enable()
    > cgi.test()
    >
    > ... but the following isn't working:
    >
    > import cgitb; cgitb.enable()
    > import wmi ## fails here, with msg "wmi undefined"
    > cgi.test()

    Does it really just say "wmi undefined"? If not, please
    cut and paste the precise traceback which you really get.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jul 20, 2003

  3. MK

    MK Guest

    "Peter Hansen" <> wrote

    [...]

    Hello Peter! This is what I get back in browser's window:

    com_error

    Python 2.2.2: C:\python\python.exe
    Sun Jul 20 20:45:23 2003

    A problem occurred in a Python script. Here is the sequence of function
    calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.

    ----

    C:\python\testcgi\index.pycgi
    2 import cgitb; cgitb.enable()

    3 import wmi [MK comment: this line colored with a bright color!]

    4 import sys

    5

    6 cgi.test()

    wmi undefined

    ----

    C:\python\testcgi\wmi.py
    114 # Do just enough to ensure constants are available

    115 #

    116 obj = win32com.client.GetObject ("winmgmts:") [MK comment: colored
    with a bright color!]

    117 win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch (obj._oleobj_)

    118 del obj

    obj undefined, win32com = <module 'win32com' from
    'C:\python\lib\site-packages\win32com\__init__.pyc'>, win32com.client =
    <module 'win32com.client' from
    'C:\python\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.pyc'>,
    win32com.client.GetObject = <function GetObject at 0x00A42DA8>

    ----

    C:\python\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py in
    GetObject(Pathname='winmgmts:', Class=None, clsctx=23)
    71 return GetActiveObject(Class, clsctx)

    72 else:

    73 return Moniker(Pathname, clsctx) [MK comment: colored with a
    bright color!]

    74

    75 def GetActiveObject(Class, clsctx = pythoncom.CLSCTX_ALL):

    global Moniker = <function Moniker at 0x00A3D210>, Pathname = 'winmgmts:',
    clsctx = 23

    ----

    C:\python\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py in
    Moniker(Pathname='winmgmts:', clsctx=23)
    86 Python friendly version of GetObject's moniker functionality.

    87 """

    88 moniker, i, bindCtx = pythoncom.MkParseDisplayName(Pathname)

    89 dispatch = moniker.BindToObject(bindCtx, None,
    pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)

    90 return __WrapDispatch(dispatch, Pathname, clsctx = clsctx)

    moniker undefined, i undefined, bindCtx undefined, global pythoncom =
    <module 'pythoncom' from 'C:\WINNT\System32\pythoncom22.dll'>,
    pythoncom.MkParseDisplayName = <built-in function MkParseDisplayName>,
    Pathname = 'winmgmts:'

    com_error: (-2147217405, 'OLE error 0x80041003', None, None)
    __doc__ = None
    __getitem__ = <bound method com_error.__getitem__ of
    <pywintypes.com_error instance at 0x005A72E0>>
    __init__ = <bound method com_error.__init__ of <pywintypes.com_error
    instance at 0x005A72E0>>
    __module__ = 'pywintypes'
    __str__ = <bound method com_error.__str__ of <pywintypes.com_error
    instance at 0x005A72E0>>
    args = (-2147217405, 'OLE error 0x80041003', None, None)

    MK, Jul 20, 2003
  4. MK

    Peter Hansen Guest

    MK wrote:

    > This is what I get back in browser's window:

    Browser? What are you trying to do, that runs Python code in the
    browser window? Try running your code directly instead of through
    CGI and see what happens. It's easier to debug that way.

    > C:\python\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py in
    > Moniker(Pathname='winmgmts:', clsctx=23)
    >
    > com_error: (-2147217405, 'OLE error 0x80041003', None, None)

    The above two snippets suggest that you are trying to access some
    COM object called "winmgmts:" but don't have permission. I have
    no idea about COM/ActiveX so I can't help, but perhaps someone
    else can. Searching on Google for the above error code gives
    lots of results, including:

    In the call to pWbemServices->GetObject an error of 0x80041003 is
    returned which according to MSDN documentation is

    WBEM_E_ACCESS_DENIED
    The current user does not have permission to perform the action

    I'd suggest you (a) learn more about Python, since you don't seem
    to know how to interpret error tracebacks, and (b) describe in more
    detail what you are trying to accomplish, because the problem is
    not with the "wmi" module per se, but at a lower level, and appears
    to be related to your not having the correct user permissions for
    the object you are accessing.

    Sorry I can't help more.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jul 20, 2003
  5. MK

    MK Guest

    "Peter Hansen" <> wrote

    [...]

    > I'd suggest you (a) learn more about Python, since you don't seem
    > to know how to interpret error tracebacks, and (b) describe in more
    > detail what you are trying to accomplish, because the problem is
    > not with the "wmi" module per se, but at a lower level, and appears
    > to be related to your not having the correct user permissions for
    > the object you are accessing.

    Fair enough. Thanks for suggestions!

    I will keep digging.
    MK