Importing WMI module into Python CGI script fails

MK

I'm working with IIS on W2K server. I'm trying to
use module "wmi" in a CGI script but with no success.

The following works:

import cgitb; cgitb.enable()
cgi.test()

.... but the following isn't working:

import cgitb; cgitb.enable()
import wmi ## fails here, with msg "wmi undefined"
cgi.test()

Any ideas? I can import all the other modules (e.g. sys)
except "wmi". Also, when I run the same script in IDLE
(cgi stuff removed), it works. Sys.path has all the needed
directories, including script's directory, and WMI's
directory.

Peter Hansen

MK said:
I'm working with IIS on W2K server. I'm trying to
use module "wmi" in a CGI script but with no success.

The following works:

import cgitb; cgitb.enable()
cgi.test()

... but the following isn't working:

import cgitb; cgitb.enable()
import wmi ## fails here, with msg "wmi undefined"
cgi.test()

Does it really just say "wmi undefined"? If not, please
cut and paste the precise traceback which you really get.

-Peter

MK

[...]

Hello Peter! This is what I get back in browser's window:

com_error

Python 2.2.2: C:\python\python.exe
Sun Jul 20 20:45:23 2003

A problem occurred in a Python script. Here is the sequence of function
calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.

----

C:\python\testcgi\index.pycgi
2 import cgitb; cgitb.enable()

3 import wmi [MK comment: this line colored with a bright color!]

4 import sys

5

6 cgi.test()

wmi undefined

----

C:\python\testcgi\wmi.py
114 # Do just enough to ensure constants are available

115 #

116 obj = win32com.client.GetObject ("winmgmts:") [MK comment: colored
with a bright color!]

117 win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch (obj._oleobj_)

118 del obj

obj undefined, win32com = <module 'win32com' from
'C:\python\lib\site-packages\win32com\__init__.pyc'>, win32com.client =
<module 'win32com.client' from
'C:\python\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.pyc'>,
win32com.client.GetObject = <function GetObject at 0x00A42DA8>

----

C:\python\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py in
GetObject(Pathname='winmgmts:', Class=None, clsctx=23)
71 return GetActiveObject(Class, clsctx)

72 else:

73 return Moniker(Pathname, clsctx) [MK comment: colored with a
bright color!]

74

75 def GetActiveObject(Class, clsctx = pythoncom.CLSCTX_ALL):

global Moniker = <function Moniker at 0x00A3D210>, Pathname = 'winmgmts:',
clsctx = 23

----

C:\python\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py in
Moniker(Pathname='winmgmts:', clsctx=23)
86 Python friendly version of GetObject's moniker functionality.

87 """

88 moniker, i, bindCtx = pythoncom.MkParseDisplayName(Pathname)

89 dispatch = moniker.BindToObject(bindCtx, None,
pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)

90 return __WrapDispatch(dispatch, Pathname, clsctx = clsctx)

moniker undefined, i undefined, bindCtx undefined, global pythoncom =
<module 'pythoncom' from 'C:\WINNT\System32\pythoncom22.dll'>,
pythoncom.MkParseDisplayName = <built-in function MkParseDisplayName>,
Pathname = 'winmgmts:'

com_error: (-2147217405, 'OLE error 0x80041003', None, None)
__doc__ = None
__getitem__ = <bound method com_error.__getitem__ of
<pywintypes.com_error instance at 0x005A72E0>>
__init__ = <bound method com_error.__init__ of <pywintypes.com_error
instance at 0x005A72E0>>
__module__ = 'pywintypes'
__str__ = <bound method com_error.__str__ of <pywintypes.com_error
instance at 0x005A72E0>>
args = (-2147217405, 'OLE error 0x80041003', None, None)

Peter Hansen

MK said:
This is what I get back in browser's window:

Browser? What are you trying to do, that runs Python code in the
browser window? Try running your code directly instead of through
CGI and see what happens. It's easier to debug that way.
C:\python\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py in
Moniker(Pathname='winmgmts:', clsctx=23)

com_error: (-2147217405, 'OLE error 0x80041003', None, None)

The above two snippets suggest that you are trying to access some
COM object called "winmgmts:" but don't have permission. I have
no idea about COM/ActiveX so I can't help, but perhaps someone
else can. Searching on Google for the above error code gives
lots of results, including:

In the call to pWbemServices->GetObject an error of 0x80041003 is
returned which according to MSDN documentation is

WBEM_E_ACCESS_DENIED
The current user does not have permission to perform the action

I'd suggest you (a) learn more about Python, since you don't seem
to know how to interpret error tracebacks, and (b) describe in more
detail what you are trying to accomplish, because the problem is
not with the "wmi" module per se, but at a lower level, and appears
to be related to your not having the correct user permissions for
the object you are accessing.

Sorry I can't help more.

-Peter

MK

[...]
I'd suggest you (a) learn more about Python, since you don't seem
to know how to interpret error tracebacks, and (b) describe in more
detail what you are trying to accomplish, because the problem is
not with the "wmi" module per se, but at a lower level, and appears
to be related to your not having the correct user permissions for
the object you are accessing.

Fair enough. Thanks for suggestions!

I will keep digging.
MK