    So, could someone explain what importlib exactly is, and why this new
    version that will be in Python 3.1 is significant? Will the import
    statement work differently in 3.1, and if so, in what way?

    excord80, Feb 1, 2009

  2. excord80 <excord80 <at> gmail.com> writes:

    > Regarding this blog post:

    http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2009/01/importlib-is-now-in-python-31.html

    Brett has made many other blog posts about his work on importlib. You might try
    examining those.

    > So, could someone explain what importlib exactly is, and why this new
    > version that will be in Python 3.1 is significant? Will the import
    > statement work differently in 3.1, and if so, in what way?

    Basically importlib is all of the complicated logic in the import statment
    written in Python. The point is to make importing more extensible and easier to
    change.

    The behavior of the import statement shouldn't be any different or that is a bug.

    Benjamin Peterson, Feb 1, 2009