Imports errror while attempting Insert

Guest

I'm picking up an 'IMPORTS' error for a simple database insert based on two
input entry boxes in my form?

It says an 'Imports' statement must preceede any declarations....... is this
perahps the '@' symbol??

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Jason

ERROR ----------------------------------

Server Error in '/' Application.

Compilation Error
to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: BC30465: 'Imports' statements must precede any
declarations.

Source Error:

Line 2: <script runat="server">
Line 3:
Line 4: Imports System.Data.SqlClient
Line 5: Public Class index
Line 6: Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Source File: C:\source\Insert.aspx Line: 4

HTML -----------------------------
<head>
</head>
<form runat="server">
<asp:TextBox id="txtFirstName" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:TextBox id="txtLastName" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:Button id="Button1" onclick="Button1_Click" runat="server"
Text="Button"></asp:Button>
</form>

-----------------------------------
CODE ----------------------------------------------------

Imports System.Data.SqlClient
Public Class index
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

<System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> Private Sub InitializeComponent()

End Sub
Protected WithEvents btnInsert As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button
Protected WithEvents txtFirstName As System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox
Protected WithEvents txtLastName As System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox
Protected WithEvents Repeater1 As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater

Designer.
'Do not delete or move it.

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
InitializeComponent()
End Sub

#End Region

Public strConn As String = "data source=xx.xx.xxx.xxx; User ID=xxxxxx;
Password=xxxxxx; Persist Security Info=True;packet size=4096"

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
LoadData()
End Sub

Private Sub btnInsert_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles btnInsert.Click
Dim strConn As String = "data source=xx.xx.xxx.xxx; User ID=xxxxxx;
Password=xxxxxx; Persist Security Info=True;packet size=4096"
Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("INSERT INTO Customers (FirstName,
LastName)VALUES('" & txtFirstName.Text & "','" & txtLastName.Text & "')",
New SqlConnection(strConn))
cmd.Connection.Open()
cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
cmd.Connection.Close()
LoadData()
End Sub

Sub LoadData()
Dim strConn As String = "data source=xx.xx.xxx.xxx; User ID=xxxxxx;
Password=xxxxxx; Persist Security Info=True;packet size=4096"
Dim strSQL As String = "Select * From Customers"
Dim cmd As New SqlCommand(strSQL, New SqlConnection(strConn))
cmd.Connection.Open()
Repeater1.DataSource = cmd.ExecuteReader
Repeater1.DataBind()
cmd.Connection.Close()
cmd.Connection.Dispose()
End Sub

End Class

[...]

Dim strConn As String = "data source=MTEST.maximumasp.com; User ID=TEST;
Password=TEST; Persist Security Info=True;packet size=4096"
Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("INSERT INTO ChangeStatus (FirstName,
LastName)VALUES('" & txtFirstName.Text & "','" & txtLastName.Text & "')",
New SqlConnection(strConn))
cmd.Connection.Open()
cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
cmd.Connection.Close()
LoadData()
End Sub

Sub LoadData()
Dim strConn As String = "data source=MTEST.maximumasp.com; User ID=TEST;
Password=TEST; Persist Security Info=True;packet size=4096"
Dim strSQL As String = "Select * From Customers"
Dim cmd As New SqlCommand(strSQL, New SqlConnection(strConn))
cmd.Connection.Open()
Repeater1.DataSource = cmd.ExecuteReader
Repeater1.DataBind()
cmd.Connection.Close()
cmd.Connection.Dispose()
End Sub

End Class' Insert page code here
'

Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)

End Sub

Karl Seguin

to import a namespace into an aspx page, you need to use the @Import
directive

<%@ Import namespace="System.Data.SqlClient" %>
<Script runat="server">
</script>

Karl

Guest

Hi Karl,

But, do I add this to the 'html' or the 'code' page.

I tried adding it to the top of the html portion and still get the same
error:

This is confusing...I mean my code behind view already has the imports
statement...why would I need to add to the html form section anyway?

Guest

Ok, I fixed the error! I did this by going to the 'ALL' view in Web Matrix
which allowed me to see the vicinity of the 'runat server' in relation to
the 'imports' statement.

But, now I am trying to see how to 'connect' my database insert statement to
the form submit button.......I know I am close but need some help:

I think I need to load the sub 'load_data' from the submit button, but not
sure how to do it....Perhaps I need to rename my button to 'btnInsert_Click'
to activate the insert sub?

[...]

Dim strConn As String = "data source=test.maximumasp.com; User
ID=V03testUW; Password=test Persist Security Info=True;packet size=4096"
Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("INSERT INTO ChangeStatus (FirstName,
LastName)VALUES('" & txtFirstName.Text & "','" & txtLastName.Text & "')",
New SqlConnection(strConn))
cmd.Connection.Open()
cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
cmd.Connection.Close()
LoadData()
End Sub

Sub LoadData()
Dim strConn As String = "data source=test.maximumasp.com; User ID=test;
Password=testJ; Persist Security Info=True;packet size=4096"