Imporving programming skills

Guest

I've been developing since year ago , I noticed that I developed my
programming skills in first 6 months then , my coding style and strategy been
the same, so what you advice me to develop my programming skills and
development strategies

Kivak Wolf

The most important things I can think of are naming conventions. When i
use other people's code and it is not named right, I have to tear it
apart just to read it. Example:

Variables are named with the first letter lowercase and at the
beginning of another word use uppercase:

thisIsMyVar

Functions and Subs use uppercase letters for all first letter in the
words:

ThisIsMySub()

This makes things SOOOOO much easier to tell what you are doing. =)
Sometimes you may even wat to use a 3 letter reference to what type the
variable is, as follows:

Dim intMyCoolLittleInt As Integer
Dim strMyCoolLittleString As String

And always remember to comment where needed =)

Kivak Wolf

Kevin Spencer

That's a tough one, if you don't work with other people in a team. Working
with other people exposes you to a variety of styles and methodology. Of
course, it also exposes you to a lot of BAD styles and methodology, but it's
all a good learning experience. Other than that, Google is your best friend.
Study the styles and methodology of others, particularly the Microsoft
samples and examples. Eat the meat and spit out the bones.

And your best help will be the willingness (which you have shown in your
post) to learn and grow. As Uncle Chutney sez, "What You Seek Is What You
Get!"

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

TJS

Best way to "improve skills" is to improve your development tools that
increase your productivity. Developing from scratch based solely on
knowledge is not always helpful. Being very smart at coding doesn't always
help because even if you learn it, you may not use it, and the knowledge is
lost over time.

Mark out the areas of development you wish to participate in and build up a
tool box to make yourself more productive in those areas. Become very
proficient in the understanding and use of the tools.

The irony is that success as a developer can come by finding ways to write
less code.