Improving datetime

Discussion in 'Python' started by Nicholas F. Fabry, Mar 19, 2008.

  1. This is a query for information as to how to proceed. I am not a
    professional programmer, but I use Python a great deal to help me in
    my main job, which involves designing schedules for a global airline.
    As such, I use datetime (and dateutil) extensively, and after much
    use, I have come to some conclusions about their utility, and how to
    improve them. Some of these changes are quite minor and would result
    in a large increase in utility (low hanging fruit), while some changes
    are major, and would result in less obvious benefits - but these
    changes would increase the 'Python Zen' of them.

    So - where should I propose these changes? Here? python-dev? Should
    I write up a full PEP or should I just give a more informal outline
    with code samples? I would volunteer to help maintain/improve
    datetime, but I don't speak C at all, unfortunately, and datetime
    appears to be in C.

    In addition, I have little contact with the Python community - I work
    somewhat 'solo' when it comes to my programming projects. So, are
    there other people out there who use datetime? Dateutil? What do you
    find the deficits/benefits of these modules to be?

    Thank you for your thoughts....

    Nick Fabry

    Nicholas F. Fabry, Mar 19, 2008

  2. On Mar 19, 9:12 am, "Nicholas F. Fabry" <>
    wrote:
    > This is a query for information as to how to proceed. I am not a
    > professional programmer, but I use Python a great deal to help me in
    > my main job, which involves designing schedules for a global airline.
    > As such, I use datetime (and dateutil) extensively, and after much
    > use, I have come to some conclusions about their utility, and how to
    > improve them. Some of these changes are quite minor and would result
    > in a large increase in utility (low hanging fruit), while some changes
    > are major, and would result in less obvious benefits - but these
    > changes would increase the 'Python Zen' of them.
    >
    > So - where should I propose these changes? Here? python-dev? Should
    > I write up a full PEP or should I just give a more informal outline
    > with code samples? I would volunteer to help maintain/improve
    > datetime, but I don't speak C at all, unfortunately, and datetime
    > appears to be in C.
    >
    > In addition, I have little contact with the Python community - I work
    > somewhat 'solo' when it comes to my programming projects. So, are
    > there other people out there who use datetime? Dateutil? What do you
    > find the deficits/benefits of these modules to be?
    >
    > Thank you for your thoughts....
    >
    > Nick Fabry

    I think you need to do this sort of thing on python-dev. I'm not sure
    how the PEP process works though. If you give your thoughts in a PEP-
    like format, you'd probably be taken more seriously though.

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Mar 19, 2008

  3. On Mar 19, 9:12 am, "Nicholas F. Fabry" <>
    wrote:

    > So - where should I propose these changes?  Here?  python-dev?  Should
    > I write up a full PEP or should I just give a more informal outline
    > with code samples?

    My guess is that the python-dev folks would send you here or to the
    python-ideas mailing list. My suggestion is to give a more informal
    outline with code samples either here or in python-ideas before
    proceeding any further.

    Preston

    Preston Landers, Mar 19, 2008