Improving datetime

Nicholas F. Fabry

This is a query for information as to how to proceed. I am not a
professional programmer, but I use Python a great deal to help me in
my main job, which involves designing schedules for a global airline.
As such, I use datetime (and dateutil) extensively, and after much
use, I have come to some conclusions about their utility, and how to
improve them. Some of these changes are quite minor and would result
in a large increase in utility (low hanging fruit), while some changes
are major, and would result in less obvious benefits - but these
changes would increase the 'Python Zen' of them.

So - where should I propose these changes? Here? python-dev? Should
I write up a full PEP or should I just give a more informal outline
with code samples? I would volunteer to help maintain/improve
datetime, but I don't speak C at all, unfortunately, and datetime
appears to be in C.

In addition, I have little contact with the Python community - I work
somewhat 'solo' when it comes to my programming projects. So, are
there other people out there who use datetime? Dateutil? What do you
find the deficits/benefits of these modules to be?

Thank you for your thoughts....

Nick Fabry

Mike Driscoll

[...]

I think you need to do this sort of thing on python-dev. I'm not sure
how the PEP process works though. If you give your thoughts in a PEP-
like format, you'd probably be taken more seriously though.

Mike

Preston Landers

So - where should I propose these changes?  Here?  python-dev?  Should
I write up a full PEP or should I just give a more informal outline
with code samples?

My guess is that the python-dev folks would send you here or to the
python-ideas mailing list. My suggestion is to give a more informal
outline with code samples either here or in python-ideas before
proceeding any further.

Preston