    viruses seems unnecessary (albeit understandable).

    Are slow response times and ActiveX warnings in IE7 avoidable or are
    they just a cost of doing business in Java?
    yawnmoth, Aug 5, 2008

  2. yawnmoth wrote:
    > http://www.frostjedi.com/terra/scripts/java.html
    >
    > When I visit that in Firefox for the first time, there is a very
    > noticeable delay between the time the page loads and the applet
    > loads. For a few seconds, the browser seems to actually lock up,
    > even.
    >
    > Also, in Internet Explorer 7, I get a "To help protect your security,
    > Internet Explorer stopped this site from installing an ActiveX control
    > on your computer. Click here for options..." message. For such a
    > benign applet, displaying a warning that a lot of users associate with
    > viruses seems unnecessary (albeit understandable).
    >
    > Are slow response times and ActiveX warnings in IE7 avoidable or are
    > they just a cost of doing business in Java?

    I looked at this page with FF3 and IE7, neither gave any warnings or
    were slow. Could it be that you just have a slow computer?

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2008/

    Knute Johnson, Aug 5, 2008

  3. yawnmoth

    Dave Miller Guest

    Knute Johnson wrote:
    > yawnmoth wrote:
    >> http://www.frostjedi.com/terra/scripts/java.html
    >>
    >> When I visit that in Firefox for the first time, there is a very
    >> noticeable delay between the time the page loads and the applet
    >> loads. For a few seconds, the browser seems to actually lock up,
    >> even.
    >>
    >> Also, in Internet Explorer 7, I get a "To help protect your security,
    >> Internet Explorer stopped this site from installing an ActiveX control
    >> on your computer. Click here for options..." message. For such a
    >> benign applet, displaying a warning that a lot of users associate with
    >> viruses seems unnecessary (albeit understandable).
    >>
    >> Are slow response times and ActiveX warnings in IE7 avoidable or are
    >> they just a cost of doing business in Java?

    > I looked at this page with FF3 and IE7, neither gave any warnings or
    > were slow. Could it be that you just have a slow computer?

    I got the same results as Knute.

    Your connection speed could be part of the mix - use an online speed
    check site to rule that in or out. If your speed is good:

    For the FF problem, while the applet is open, double click on the Java
    icon in your system and check the version. Then right-click and open the
    console. If the v is current and the console shows no exceptions, it's
    almost certainly not your JVM.

    Your IE 7 results may be from the IE security settings - check on them
    in Tools --> Internet Options.

    If none of that shows anything, Knute's "time to upgrade the old PC"
    guess is likely on target.

    --
    Dave Miller
    Java Web Hosting at:
    Dave Miller, Aug 5, 2008
  4. yawnmoth

    yawnmoth Guest

    On Aug 5, 12:17 pm, Dave Miller <> wrote:
    > Knute Johnson wrote:
    > >yawnmothwrote:
    > >>http://www.frostjedi.com/terra/scripts/java.html

    > >> When I visit that in Firefox for the first time, there is a very
    > >> noticeable delay between the time the page loads and the applet
    > >> loads.  For a few seconds, the browser seems to actually lock up,
    > >> even.

    > >> Also, in Internet Explorer 7, I get a "To help protect your security,
    > >> Internet Explorer stopped this site from installing an ActiveX control
    > >> on your computer.  Click here for options..." message.  For such a
    > >> benign applet, displaying a warning that a lot of users associate with
    > >> viruses seems unnecessary (albeit understandable).

    > >> Are slow response times and ActiveX warnings in IE7 avoidable or are
    > >> they just a cost of doing business in Java?

    > > I looked at this page with FF3 and IE7, neither gave any warnings or
    > > were slow.  Could it be that you just have a slow computer?

    > I got the same results as Knute.
    >
    > Your connection speed could be part of the mix - use an online speed
    > check site to rule that in or out. If your speed is good:

    My speed test:

    http://www.speedtest.net/result/305247805.png

    I don't think it's my network connection. And it's fairly difficult
    to reproduce. I was able to produce it on one computer, once, just
    now, but on successive attempts, I couldn't. Even cleared the
    statcache to no avail.

    Also, regardless, it is a complaint that is often made (not for this
    applet, mind you, but for another). Per your later suggestion, I'll
    ask if people can give me that information.

    > Your IE 7 results may be from the IE security settings - check on them
    > in Tools --> Internet Options.

    This is a complaint other users have, though. If a user visits your
    website for the first time and gets an ActiveX warning, they may just
    leave your website, figuring that having to adjust their security
    settings makes visiting your website just too much of a hassle.

    I don't think I've actually changed my own IE7 security settings. I
    normally just click OK for the ActiveX security warning. Do the
    default security settings of IE7 just result in ActiveX warnings for
    all Java applets?
    yawnmoth, Aug 5, 2008
  5. yawnmoth wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 12:17 pm, Dave Miller <> wrote:
    >> Knute Johnson wrote:
    >>> I looked at this page with FF3 and IE7, neither gave any warnings or
    >>> were slow. Could it be that you just have a slow computer?

    >> I got the same results as Knute.
    >>
    >> Your connection speed could be part of the mix - use an online speed
    >> check site to rule that in or out. If your speed is good:

    > My speed test:
    >
    > http://www.speedtest.net/result/305247805.png

    Network speed isn't your problem!

    > I don't think it's my network connection. And it's fairly difficult
    > to reproduce. I was able to produce it on one computer, once, just
    > now, but on successive attempts, I couldn't. Even cleared the
    > statcache to no avail.

    The first time the java plugin is loaded can take a while. Sun is
    currently doing a lot of work to improve that. See
    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/ea/6u10/6u10beta.jsp

    > Also, regardless, it is a complaint that is often made (not for this
    > applet, mind you, but for another). Per your later suggestion, I'll
    > ask if people can give me that information.
    >
    >> Your IE 7 results may be from the IE security settings - check on them
    >> in Tools --> Internet Options.

    > This is a complaint other users have, though. If a user visits your
    > website for the first time and gets an ActiveX warning, they may just
    > leave your website, figuring that having to adjust their security
    > settings makes visiting your website just too much of a hassle.
    >
    > I don't think I've actually changed my own IE7 security settings. I
    > normally just click OK for the ActiveX security warning. Do the
    > default security settings of IE7 just result in ActiveX warnings for
    > all Java applets?

    You didn't say but is this IE7 running on Vista? I've heard (I don't
    have Vista) that there is considerably more security control stuff
    running in Vista.

    I don't think I've changed the default settings on my IE7 but I rarely
    use it because of the risks and it would have been changed a long time ago.

    So I just tried setting my security level to 'High' and that does cause
    the warning you mentioned. My security level was set at 'Medium High'
    before. I reset it to the default and had no problems then either.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2008/

    Knute Johnson, Aug 5, 2008
  6. yawnmoth

    Dave Miller Guest

    yawnmoth wrote:
    Do the
    > default security settings of IE7 just result in ActiveX warnings for
    > all Java applets?

    I don't think so. For some reason (if I live to be 500 I'll not
    understand SEO) a page on our hosting site scores in the top 5 or 6 for
    for the phrase "Java Tech Support". We get several LOL moments a week
    when some service rep sends consumers to us thinking we're tech support
    for all of Java. "Uh no ma'am, Java is a programming language..."

    When they seem really helpless, I'll spend a minute with them - most
    times the problem is not the JVM - and send them to the following page
    which has a hello world applet on it that says "you've got Java". Not
    once has anyone said anything about an active x warning.

    http://www.fundableplans.com/get_java.html

    All that said, Vista is it's own animal if that's your OS all bets are off:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuqZ8AqmLPY

    Dave Miller, Aug 5, 2008
  7. yawnmoth

    yawnmoth Guest

    On Aug 5, 1:16 pm, Knute Johnson <>
    wrote:
    > yawnmothwrote:
    > > On Aug 5, 12:17 pm, Dave Miller <> wrote:
    > > My speed test:

    > >http://www.speedtest.net/result/305247805.png

    > Network speed isn't your problem!
    >
    > > I don't think it's my network connection.  And it's fairly difficult
    > > to reproduce.  I was able to produce it on one computer, once, just
    > > now, but on successive attempts, I couldn't.  Even cleared the
    > > statcache to no avail.

    > The first time the java plugin is loaded can take a while.  Sun is
    > currently doing a lot of work to improve that.  Seehttp://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/ea/6u10/6u10beta.jsp

    I bet that's the problem. Thanks! :D

    > > Also, regardless, it is a complaint that is often made (not for this
    > > applet, mind you, but for another).  Per your later suggestion, I'll
    > > ask if people can give me that information.

    > >> Your IE 7 results may be from the IE security settings - check on them
    > >> in Tools --> Internet Options.

    > > This is a complaint other users have, though.  If a user visits your
    > > website for the first time and gets an ActiveX warning, they may just
    > > leave your website, figuring that having to adjust their security
    > > settings makes visiting your website just too much of a hassle.

    > > I don't think I've actually changed my own IE7 security settings.  I
    > > normally just click OK for the ActiveX security warning.  Do the
    > > default security settings of IE7 just result in ActiveX warnings for
    > > all Java applets?

    > You didn't say but is this IE7 running on Vista?  I've heard (I don't
    > have Vista) that there is considerably more security control stuff
    > running in Vista.
    >
    > I don't think I've changed the default settings on my IE7 but I rarely
    > use it because of the risks and it would have been changed a long time ago.
    >
    > So I just tried setting my security level to 'High' and that does cause
    > the warning you mentioned.  My security level was set at 'Medium High'
    > before.  I reset it to the default and had no problems then either.

    Windows XP SP2 (fully up-to-date; I'll get SP3 whenever Windows Update
    decides to get it) with IE7.

    Of course, in trying to reproduce the problem, now, I can't. Seems
    rather intermittent, as well, actually. I'll try it on some of my
    computers at home when I get off work...
    yawnmoth, Aug 5, 2008