Improving Jmeter - Monitoring throw SNMP

replayit

Hello Java programmers

Monitoring resources is essential for correct testing. SNMP
(Simple Network Management Protocol) is universal monitoring
mechanism with allow to us monitor local resources on testing
machine, remote over network and network utilisation

SNMP data can be relatively easily gathered on all platforms.

More info about SNMP look on www.SNMPlink.org

There is additional good reason to implement SNMP - new Java 5.0
feature:

Monitoring and Manageability
J2SE 5.0 brings an advanced monitoring and manageability
framework built into the Virtual Machine for the Java platform
You can use your existing management consoles with
industry-standard JMX and SNMP protocols to monitor a JVM and
even detect low memory conditions.

---------- Implementation Notes ------------------------
SNMP class (GPL) including samples

http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/snmp/snmp_package_introduction.html

PS: Support also 64bit counters, which we need to support Gigabit
Ethernet monitoring

MIB compilers and parsers
http://freshmeat.net/projects/jmibcompiler/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/mibble/

PS: Gigabit lines need to use a 64bit counters

To browse/view SNMP tree and MIBs (In linux) you can use this
tools:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/mbrowse/

http://freshmeat.net/projects/gxsnmp/

Interesting sources:
System monitoring in Java using also SNMP
http://freshmeat.net/projects/jmon/

Ing Rudolf Kutina
Practical tester
Prague