Improving search ranking

DS

Hi there,
I recently designed a website for real estate client, and took advantage of all
the following, yet the placement on search engines is really poor...
-placed content of page as close to top left table cell
-used a descriptive title tag
-created a 150 character meta description tag
-created a 650 character meta keywords tag
-manually listed the website on a bunch of search engines and directories

It was around September last year that we listed the site on the search engines,
and it is showing up, but on like the 15th to 25th page. How can I go about
improving his rating short of creating a sponsored link? I mean what makes some
websites show up above others if one searches for "toronto real estate" for eg?
Also, should meta keywords be separated by spaces or commas?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Whitecrest

@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, (e-mail address removed)
says...
It was around September last year that we listed the site on the search engines,
and it is showing up, but on like the 15th to 25th page. How can I go about
improving his rating short of creating a sponsored link? I mean what makes some
websites show up above others if one searches for "toronto real estate" for eg?
Also, should meta keywords be separated by spaces or commas?

money (meta key words do nothing anymore)

DS

money (meta key words do nothing anymore)
Hmm.. what a pity that it has come down to that. Actually while posting the site
to the search engines it dawned on me how biased the results really are. Seems
google, the mozilla directory and one or two others are the only ones that don't
allow cash to bias the actual results themselves.

So if money is involved, then what is the best strategy? Who should I throw it at
to get the best search results/placement (given that my client isn't made of it)?
I'm guessing google adwords, and maybe overture? Any other suggestions?

dmh

DS said:
Hmm.. what a pity that it has come down to that. Actually while posting the site
to the search engines it dawned on me how biased the results really are. Seems
google, the mozilla directory and one or two others are the only ones that don't
allow cash to bias the actual results themselves.

So if money is involved, then what is the best strategy? Who should I throw it at
to get the best search results/placement (given that my client isn't made of it)?
I'm guessing google adwords, and maybe overture? Any other suggestions?

I completely disagree. I got my client's Gift Basket site up in the top 5 of
google within 4 weeks of her sitew going live and with the keywords we were
shooint for - so far it has stayed there.

Lurk over in alt.internet.search-engines for a month and you'll soon be an
seo expert. The only money it takes is if he is paying you to optimize his
site. There is no need to give money to get good rankings.

What's the url for your site ?

david

Mark Parnell

Hi there,
G'day.

I recently designed a website for real estate client, and took advantage of all
the following, yet the placement on search engines is really poor...

Well, lets have a look then...
-placed content of page as close to top left table cell

Huh? Not sure what you really mean here. Your content needs to be as
close as possible to the beginning of the source code. I'm also guessing
you're (ab)using tables for layout. Use CSS - it will reduce the size of
your code, making it easier to maintain, and increasing the keyword
density - good for SE.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
-used a descriptive title tag

Good. When you say descriptive, presumably it includes the keywords you
want them to rank well for?
-created a 150 character meta description tag

Mostly pointless. Doesn't affect rankings, although some SE do use it in
the results (usually only if the content isn't any good).
-created a 650 character meta keywords tag

Totally pointless. In fact, probably worse than pointless. The meta
keywords tag has been abused by far too many spammers. Search Engines
these days at best will ignore it, but quite possibly rank your site
_lower_ because of it. Plus it increases the amount of code before your
content.
-manually listed the website on a bunch of search engines and directories

That shouldn't be necessary, unless you are talking about paid listings
with Yahoo, etc.
It was around September last year that we listed the site on the search engines,
and it is showing up, but on like the 15th to 25th page. How can I go about
improving his rating short of creating a sponsored link? I mean what makes some
websites show up above others if one searches for "toronto real estate" for eg?

The big thing you are missing is links. Links to your site from relevant
sites that _do_ rank highly. You may have to pay for some links, others
may link to you for nothing. Unique links rank better than reciprocal
links (i.e. it means more if they link to you but you don't link to them
than if you both link to each other).

Ultimately, you need to create a site with content that other sites will
_want_ to link to. Even if you do somehow manage to rank highly, if your
content is no good the chances are your visitors won't stay long.
Also, should meta keywords be separated by spaces or commas?

They shouldn't be there at all.