"Impure" Python modules

kyosohma

Hi,

Is there some way to get a list of "impure" Python modules/extensions
from PyPI? I know the mySQL module is a good example, but I am
working on creating some decent instructions on how to create Windows
installers from impure modules and am having a hard time finding them.

Thanks!

Mike

Martin v. Löwis

Is there some way to get a list of "impure" Python modules/extensions
from PyPI?

Not easily. To create a full list, you will have to download all
packages, and check their respective setup.py files for occurrences
of Extension.

A subset can probably be found by looking at all packages classified
as Programming Language :: C

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&c=181

or Programming Language :: C++

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&show=all&c=183

Of course, some of those may only generate C, or deal with C in
some other sense than being written in it.

HTH,
Martin

Mike Driscoll

James,

In Python extension parlance, it means that the extension was not
written completely in Python. Example include the mySQL module,
wxPython, and one of the openGL modules. All of those have some C/C++
dependencies. I think numpy does too, now that I think about it.

Anyway, I hope that answers your question.

Mike

I don't quite understand what the word "impure" means here!

kyosohma

Not easily. To create a full list, you will have to download all
packages, and check their respective setup.py files for occurrences
of Extension.

I figured as much. I thought about writing some kind of script based
on the way Easy Setup downloads modules and just doing that, but
there's upwards of 2000 extensions on there.
A subset can probably be found by looking at all packages classified
as Programming Language :: C

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&c=181

or Programming Language :: C++

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&show=all&c=183

Of course, some of those may only generate C, or deal with C in
some other sense than being written in it.

HTH,
Martin

Thanks, Martin. Those links will be helpful. I'll start looking at
them this weekend.

Mike