in mem db can java do this saw prevayler

Discussion in 'Java' started by gavino, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. gavino

    gavino Guest

    http://happs.org/HAppS/README.html (toward end)
    WOW!

    What applications benefit from HAppS?

    HTTP requests and SMTP envelopes encapsulate transactions and not vice
    versa.
    Note: doing otherwise with LAMP is considered bad design because it
    implies a requirement to maintain and garbage collect database
    connections arbitrarily. So this should not be a high hurdle.

    All operating data fits in memory (store blobs on disk.)
    Note: Although this seems like a high hurdle, COTS servers with 12gb of
    memory are readily accessible and some vendors let you reach up to
    500gb of RAM. FYI, eBay has around 50M active users. If you maintained
    1k of queryable data for each of their users, you would need only 50GB.
    (You would also need to recompile your app for 64bits so the math is a
    little more involved but you get my point).

    You don't need more CPU power to server your app than you can obtain in
    a single machine.
    Note: I have not benchmarked this code yet, but another Haskell server
    was benchmarked at near 1000 HTTP transactions per second on a Pentium
    4 in 2000. Modern web servers with similar architecture can serve 10k
    HTTP transactions per second. eBay serves 400M page views per day,
    which comes to an average load of 5000 hps and a peak load of perhaps
    50k hps. In other words, an OTS 8 CPUs system, could handle all of
    eBay's HTTP traffic.

    I am not saying that using HAppS, you could serve all of eBay on a
    single box. I am saying that your application is likely to be well
    within the constraints required for HAppS to make sense for it.

    gavino, Aug 15, 2006