In-place editing within HTML pages

tungchau81

Hi,
I need to write a table that allows in-place editing of the content of
a cell whenever a mouse button is pressed inside the cell like Google
Spreadsheet at http://spreadsheets.google.com. However, the
"contentEditable" property only works with IE, not Firefox. Is there
any workaround? Google people was able to make their spreadsheets work
with Firefox, so I believe that there must be a resolution.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Tung Chau

Martin Honnen

I need to write a table that allows in-place editing of the content of
a cell whenever a mouse button is pressed inside the cell like Google
Spreadsheet at http://spreadsheets.google.com. However, the
"contentEditable" property only works with IE, not Firefox. Is there
any workaround? Google people was able to make their spreadsheets work
with Firefox, so I believe that there must be a resolution.

contentEditable applied to an element works in IE 5.5 and later and with
Opera 9.
IE 5 and later and Mozilla and Opera 9 however support editable iframes
where you set designMode on the iframe document to 'on':
<http://www.mozilla.org/editor/midas-spec.html>

Jeremy

Hi,
I need to write a table that allows in-place editing of the content of
a cell whenever a mouse button is pressed inside the cell like Google
Spreadsheet at http://spreadsheets.google.com. However, the
"contentEditable" property only works with IE, not Firefox. Is there
any workaround? Google people was able to make their spreadsheets work
with Firefox, so I believe that there must be a resolution.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Tung Chau

How powerful does the editing need to be? Do you need rich text
support? If not, you could display a hidden <input> or <textarea> in
the cell when the cell is active, and replace the text contents of the
cell with the value of the <input> or <textarea> when it loses focus.

Jeremy