% in POST when using URLLIB2.URLOPEN with PROXY

Herman Geldenhuys

Hey.

Im trying to post some variables to an URL, but I get an error saying that
my XML is parsed incorrectly. I know that it is not. At closer inspection
I found out that some module in Python must be screwing up my request when
I try to send it.

Previously the code worked fine, but the problem occured when I included
the proxy/authentication code, so that must be what is messing around with
my request.

I substituted the original URL with a Zope script to post variable and
send them back to see what I get, testing it with and without the Proxy
code.

Here is the code:
#==========================

import urllib2

infoRequest = "<GETCLIENTSERVICES/>"
# VARIABLES TO SEND... it is the ArcXMLRequest that's going haywire!
params = urllib.urlencode({'ArcXMLRequest': infoRequest,
'JavaScriptFunction':'processXML',
'RedirectURL':'',
'BgColor':'#000000',
'FormCharset':'ISO-8859-1'})

proxy_info = {'port': 8080,
'host': '172.16.13.9',
'user': 'username',
'pass': 'password'}

proxy_support = urllib2.ProxyHandler({"http" :
"http://%(user)s:%(pass)s@%(host)s:%(port)s" %
proxy_info})

opener = urllib2.build_opener(proxy_support, urllib2.HTTPHandler)

urllib2.install_opener(opener)

req = urllib2.Request('http://serverX/debugScript', params) # Zope
server, or ARCIMS Server

u = urllib2.urlopen(req)
print u.read()

#===========================

http://serverX/debugScript only returns the ArcXMLRequest that was posted.
It should be :
"<GETCLIENTSERVICES/>"
but instead I get :
"<GETCLIENTSERVICES/%"

When I send "<GETCLIENTSERVICES/>\n\n" instead of "<GETCLIENTSERVICES/>",
I get back "<GETCLIENTSERVICES/>\n%" as a result.

If I'm not clear enough about the problem, please shout. Help will be
appreciated!!

Thanks

Herman

John J. Lee

Herman Geldenhuys said:
http://serverX/debugScript only returns the ArcXMLRequest that was posted.
It should be :
"<GETCLIENTSERVICES/>"
but instead I get :
"<GETCLIENTSERVICES/%"

When I send "<GETCLIENTSERVICES/>\n\n" instead of "<GETCLIENTSERVICES/>",
I get back "<GETCLIENTSERVICES/>\n%" as a result.

If I'm not clear enough about the problem, please shout. Help will be
appreciated!!
[...]

I wonder why, given your very clear explanation of the problem, you
haven't gone the extra inch to figure out why the code (urllib2+your
code) is posting incorrect data.

Somebody here might well guess the right answer to the problem, but
why not simply find out for yourself -- you're obviously quite capable
of doing so! Get those print statements in there!

Once you've done so, please help save the world and let us know what
the problem was.

John