In Search Of: Abstract Algebra system.

Discussion in 'Java' started by Daniel Pitts, Mar 2, 2008.

  1. Daniel Pitts

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    I'd like to use an abstract algebra engine of some sort to define 3d
    shapes and their intersections.

    For example, I would like to create a structure for a Sphere that is
    represented by (P - P0) dot (P - P0) <= R0*R0
    where R0 and P0 are constants.

    And the intersections of two Spheres, is represented by a system of
    inequalities:

    [(P - P0) dot (P - P0) <= R0*R0,
    (P - P1) dot (P - P1) <= R1*R1]

    I'd also like to be able to determine the intersection points of the
    surface of this system with a Ray.

    The actual goal is to create a Beam Casting project in Java. Beam
    Casting is like Ray Casting, but you start with a pyramid instead of a ray.

    I've found a library called Java Algebra System 2.0, but I'm confused on
    how to apply it toward my goal. If there is anything more specifically
    tailored to my problem, or someone can help me understand JAS, I'd
    greatly appreciate the info.

    Thanks,
    Daniel.

    Daniel Pitts, Mar 2, 2008

  2. Daniel Pitts

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    <http://math.nist.gov/javanumerics/>

    > I've found a library called Java Algebra System 2.0, but I'm confused on
    > how to apply it toward my goal. If there is anything more specifically
    > tailored to my problem, or someone can help me understand JAS, I'd greatly
    > appreciate the info.

    Can't help with that , sorry.

    Jeff Higgins, Mar 2, 2008