In the Matter of Herb Schildt: a Detailed Analysis of "C: TheComplete Nonsense"

spinoza1111

Yeah.  Never assume that something a narcissist says is going to stay true
if it would prevent him from being the center of attention.

FWIW, I unkillfiled him briefly to see if he'd gotten any closer to lucidity.
He hadn't.

I've addressed what tiny fragmentary legitimate criticism there was over the
older version of C:TCN, and I think I've now adequately established that the
4th edition of C:TCR is still badly written, glossing over or ignoring core
functionality, littered with errors, and just plain not a good book from
which to learn C.  I think I'm done with this stuff, unless someone has
something really interesting to bring up.

How about one sweet hell of a lawsuit in civil libel for a malicious
attack on a private person containing falsehood?

Or a PROFESSIONALLY moderated post in risks to the public in computing
systems describing your behavior as exemplary of Digital Maoism?

Or a detail deconstruction of CTCN-4?

Sorry: you stalked Schildt for 15 years. Your behavior's consequences
aren't going away.

blmblm

I need a full link; this has ellipses.

Digression:

"This"? presumably you mean the message ID in my post? I don't
want to discourage you from making some attempt to prune quoted
text, but aren't you supposed to leave in enough that people can
make sense of your reply just on the basis of what's quoted?
Well, moving on, and ignoring whether it should be "ellipses"
or "ellipsis" ....

What I sent out, and what I got back from my news server, was
something with what I believe to be a correct message ID, one
that did not contain anything of the form "...".

I forgot, however, that you post via Google Groups, and they
apparently play some tricks in displaying any text that looks
like an e-mail address [*], and a message ID containing a "@"
apparently falls into that category.

[*] In the HTML-marked-up version, part of such text is replaced
with "...", and there's a clickable link that, if clicked on, will
eventually show you the actual text once you pass one of those
CAPTCHA things. The version billed as "Show original" just has
the altered text. (Google's idea of "original" in this context
is apparently different from mine.) Why do they do this ....
I can't be bothered to check what if anything they're currently
saying about this alteration, but if I remember right they've
previously claimed that they're trying to hide addresses from
potential spammers, which I suppose is commendable enough but
does have some unfortunate effects.

Whether having the message ID in the form in which I sent it out
would help you .... The Google Groups "advanced search" page has
an option to look up a specific message ID. It doesn't seem to
be entirely reliable, however; when I started composing this post
yesterday, it wasn't working, but now it appears to be. Sigh.
I'm grateful that Google is at least trying to maintain an archive
of Usenet posts and make it available, but -- oh well, maybe it's
more difficult than I imagine to get it right.

End of digression.

Anyway, here is a URL that works for me:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/msg/f86ace21f0dd9892?hl=en&dmode=source

I don't have a lot of confidence that it's going to work for you too,
but it's the best I can do.

I also noticed, in the process of trying to come up with a usable
URL, that there's rather a lot of code, and at least some of it is
not especially polished, so I'm not sure it's really worth your
time to try to wade through. But it's a fairly representative
example of the kind of code I write for my own use -- not the
best, not the worst, but fairly representative. For code to be
shown to students I'm apt to put in more comments. said:
I look forward, quite
seriously, to reading your code.

That sounds collegial enough. (Maybe. I can think of another
interpretation.)
snipola

That is correct. But I'd hasard they are a subset of the doubles.

Yes, that's what I meant when I said "the same thing is true in
Java" -- I was referring to your claim that

"all ints in C Sharp [ .... ] can be converted without error
to doubles."

[ snip ]
No, "best" is determined by correctness, the programming manifestation
of truth. Whereas "a number of factors" usually includes peer group
and management pressure to conform to a normalized deviance. The
pretense is that this is a form of engineering, but if it is, it's
self-reflexive, which means that the "skilled" programmer in such a
milieu is the least ethical, and the most willing to act in ways that
are either self-destructive (as in the frequent phenomenon of
excessive hours) or destructive to others (as in the case of Peter
Seebach, who manages to lie about people, frequently).

I'm not really sure what point you're making here (no surprise).

The factors I had in mind included, oh, affinity between the
language and the problem domain (e.g., APL is apparently very
good for problems that can expressed in terms of working on arrays
or lists), suitability for the target hardware/software platform,
the programmer's background and interests, and probably some others
I'm not thinking of right now.
Snide, as always, in the passive aggressive corporate register.

I have no idea how "corporate" found its way into that sentence.
But whatever.

You might also consider that if I had wanted to be really snide,
I'd have emphasized "say" (e.g, "*say*"). I can't know what's
in your head and therefore felt that to say "you do" would be --
not right. said:
This
just in, honey. In a "civil" conversation, phrases which imply
dishonesty (such as "you say you do") cross the line, and are an
invitation, sugar, to end the civil, Habermasian conversation. As
such, they are far worse than the usual corporate suspects, such as
"sexism", babe.
Whatever.

(Sigh) (Eye roll) (Crotch grab)

Did you have a point to make here, or is this just a demonstration
that you're just as willing to be vulgar when conversing(?) with a
woman as with a man?

[ snip ]
Quite the opposite, I'd say. Why code for Linux all the time?

Is there some reason you can't break into quoted text at a sentence
break rather than a line break, as you did here? especially if
you're not going to quote the rest of the sentence later? Well,
whatever.

I'll admit to a preference for UNIX-like environments -- but the
thing is, declaring main() to return an int is compliant with the
C standard for what it calls "hosted environments" and presumably
will work on platforms that don't care about the return value as well
as those that do. So to me this is the more portable choice and
therefore the better one.

It might be worth asking whether anyone knows which form is preferred
for (Mac) OS X -- I mean, supposedly it's "UNIX under the hood", and
certainly in my limited experience it has a text-mode interface that
feels very much like other UNIX systems I've used, aside from the
fact that the default filesystem setup is apparently case-insensitive.
It's
basically (cf Lanier's book) just a copy of unix, based on the work of
an author other than the millionaire Torvaldys whose work was stolen
by Torvaldys much as MS-DOS was stolen. The same sleaze and inferior
praxis occurs in both communities.

I don't quite understand who you're saying stole from whom here,
but whatever. (I'm also not sure why you spell the Linux
originator's name with a y, when no one else seems to, but
"whatever" on that too.)
Which means, of course, that the Linux expectation should not control,
get it yet?

If it were only Linux, maybe not -- but it's not, as discussed
previously.

Further, if I understand the standard correctly, a freestanding
implementation can make its own rules about the signature of the
"main" program, including calling it something other than main(),
and it isn't required to provide all the libraries required for
a hosted environment, so it's not clear that it makes sense
to try to write complete programs that are portable across the
freestanding/hosted divide. Writing programs that work in any
hosted environment seems like a more tractable problem, and worth
doing when one can.
Which exposes the main() return bullshit for what it is (why is it not
permitted on the Internet to say "****" and "shit" but it's ok to make
a foul, if misspelled, word out of Herb's patronym? Have human beings
ceased to matter? **** me if I know.)

It is the false belief, powered in fact by a corporation which remains
one of the most powerful, if most obscure, forces on the planet: good
old IBM, which continues to maintain control of computers that really,
really matter (vast server farms and secret data bases), that we can,
after all, force all the technopeasants into one tribe dominated by
Linux and wikipedia.

Back to 1984...

Instead you want us all to conform to the expectations of a
platform defined and owned by another corporate entity (Microsoft)
whose reputation is not exactly spotless?

Now that I think about it, I'm rather surprised by this apparent
preference of yours for Windows, given its corporate associations.
But whatever.

[ snip ]
The meaning of my literacy is that more more intelligent and more
decent than most people here.

I can't parse that sentence, sorry.

[ snip ]
This is an urban legend.

You do realize that when I said "I figured out" I meant that
I, well, figured it out, based on my own experiences, rather
than simply believing something I was told, right? I guess it's
possible that someone else did draw my attention to it, but if
so I believed it because it accorded with my own experience.

[ snip ]
In the absence of other information, "good grades" and Schildt's MSCS
are in fact all that separates us from the barbarism of *les ancien
regimes*, in which careers were not open to talents, and in which
people were beaten for even thinking of speaking out. I've had it up
to here with the Populism of claiming that one's own poor grades
indicate in themselves that it is "the system" which is at fault,
because white programmers like Seebach use poor school performance or
the absence of coursework so consistently paradoxically as to make
their gesture meaningless. They mean that they are of the race
expected to do well and that any information or any failure to the
contrary is a conspiracy against their Genius.

I don't quite get how this is a response to what I said, but
whatever.

My own thinking is that academic credentials are a useful screening
mechanism in the absence of other information about a person,
but the correlation between them and genuine qualifications is
not 100%. Indeed, I strongly suspect you'd claim that you're
more qualified than your academic credentials might imply, no?

[ snip ]
Not until you start showing more solidarity with the victims of the
cybernetic mobs that so frequently form in this newsgroup owing to
enabling language expressed in dulcet tones, hon.

Duly noted. I doubt it will change my behavior.
"Patronizing forms of address" are not a matter of syntax, but of
intent, and it is a form of fashionable autism to judge another's
sexism by means of keywords alone. I refuse to allow you to make any
inferences about my sexism for essentially the same reason I refuse to
allow Seebach to make inferences about what Schildt knows based on his
own, very limited and very biased, knowledge.

Refuse all you want. I've drawn a tentative conclusion about
your attitudes based on the many posts of yours I've read over
the years. That this conclusion is somewhat at odds with your
claims above is -- no surprise. said:
Language, in this and many other newsgroups, is used so often
ironically by chattering ape-men who in a truly bizarre fashion have a
cargo cult theory that words mean single things. They use it to lie
and then they hold others to the truth.

My sexism is ironic. Real malice, of the sort shown Kenny, Navia,
Schildt, Chinese visitors and myself, as well as competent female
programmers, is my concern here.

I have no idea what "ironic" means here.
A deliberate affectation.

No idea what this means either.

[ snip ]
Well how about "I like making tu quoque arguments?"

Milder but in no way expressive of my intended meaning.

I would be mildly interested in an explanation of how anything I've
said constitutes a tu quoque argument.

Seebs

It might be worth asking whether anyone knows which form is preferred
for (Mac) OS X -- I mean, supposedly it's "UNIX under the hood", and
certainly in my limited experience it has a text-mode interface that
feels very much like other UNIX systems I've used, aside from the
fact that the default filesystem setup is apparently case-insensitive.

Under the hood:
* OS X is plain old UNIX for such purposes.
* Actually, the default filesystem is case-preserving, which is subtly
different.
* OS 9 did, in fact, have at least one kind of application which did not
have any capacity for a meaningful return value. When targeting such
applications, it was a "freestanding implementation", since it did not
provide relevant hooks for a large number of standard library features;
if you wanted a hosted implementation, you could also get one, and in
that, main() returned int just like everywhere else.
I don't quite understand who you're saying stole from whom here,
but whatever. (I'm also not sure why you spell the Linux
originator's name with a y, when no one else seems to, but
"whatever" on that too.)

I think it's just that he can't spell.
If it were only Linux, maybe not -- but it's not, as discussed
previously.

Most significantly, it's also DOS. DOS batch files can depend on the
values returned from programs. Programs which don't return a value tend
to produce arbitrary results.
I have no idea what "ironic" means here.

It means "ha ha only serious". (See the Jargon file.)

-s

Keith Thompson

rigs said:
Talk is cheap. The civil filing fee is US$322.

Put up or shut up.

Yes, I'm sure that after 283 people have taunted spinoza1111 for his
empty threats of lawsuits, the 284th taunt will have better results.

It's time to stop feeding the troll. (Cue spinoza1111's usual rant
claiming that the word "troll" is racist.)

Seebs

Yes, I'm sure that after 283 people have taunted spinoza1111 for his
empty threats of lawsuits, the 284th taunt will have better results.

The difference being, that *particular* taunt comes from someone who
has represented me in court in the past. :)

.... Not that this difference will make Nilges suddenly actually do any
of the things he threatens to do that would give him any kind of real
exposure. My guess is that he's quite realistic enough to realize
that any kind of actual lawsuit would leave him open to court orders
to pay costs...

-s

blmblm

Under the hood:
* OS X is plain old UNIX for such purposes.

And for other purposes -- not so much?

But yeah, nice to have agreement here.

What I *have* noticed is that the OS X systems I've worked with
sometimes have the BSD versions of particular tools rather than
than the GNU versions, and sometimes that matters, and that they
don't have Linux-specific tools, and sometimes *that* matters.

But then, that's UNIX for you, right? Multiple different versions,
all *more or less* the same, but sometimes subtly different. :)?
or maybe it's a :-(.
* Actually, the default filesystem is case-preserving, which is subtly
different.

That *is* a better term for how I understand things to work --
case is *preserved* in filenames, but ignored in deciding whether
two names refer to the same file (e.g., one can't have both a
"Foo" and a "foo" in the same directory). This can make things
interesting when one tries to copy files in bulk from a "real UNIX"
filesystem to an OS X filesystem.
* OS 9 did, in fact, have at least one kind of application which did not
have any capacity for a meaningful return value. When targeting such
applications, it was a "freestanding implementation", since it did not
provide relevant hooks for a large number of standard library features;
if you wanted a hosted implementation, you could also get one, and in
that, main() returned int just like everywhere else.

Interesting data point.
I think it's just that he can't spell.

But it doesn't matter! because orthography is not .... Yeah,
yeah, sorry. Well, I guess it's not uncommon to think that the
things we do well are important, while the things we do less
well aren't.
Most significantly, it's also DOS. DOS batch files can depend on the
values returned from programs. Programs which don't return a value tend
to produce arbitrary results.

Another interesting data point, and as you say more significant.
It means "ha ha only serious". (See the Jargon file.)

In case it wasn't clear -- I wasn't asking what "ironic" means in
general (I know that!) but how it applies in this context. Does
that change your answer .... <shrug>

blmblm

Say what? Often GIM[*]F, but not in this instance. ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School

I wonder why I didn't find that myself. (Could Google somehow
know that sometimes I criticize, however mildly, their GG
archive-searching and Usenet-posting services?! Nah, sheer
paranoia .... :)? )
Accurate enough summary, I think. :p

If you say so! I admit I found the first few paragraphs slow
enough going that I bailed out, though I did recognize some names.
Maybe I'll try again at some point. Apparently some of the
enthusiasm I had for non-STEM subjects as an undergraduate has
evaporated over the years. :-(

Nick

It may be that all(?) of the ways of invoking a program in a
Windows environment ignore its return value. This is not the
case in all operating systems:

It isn't - you can use "errorlevel" in a batch file to check the return
value.
And didn't JCL for the venerable IBM OS/VS operating system(s) use
the value returned by a called program to control execution flow?
That's how I remember it anyway.

I'm pretty sure you're right here.

Seebs

But then, that's UNIX for you, right? Multiple different versions,
all *more or less* the same, but sometimes subtly different. :)?
or maybe it's a :-(.

I use Unix the same way I use C -- by primarily writing in the standardized
land, such that I don't have to know whether something is GNU, BSD, or SysV.

(It is no accident that my published book is on "portable shell scripting".)
That *is* a better term for how I understand things to work --
case is *preserved* in filenames, but ignored in deciding whether
two names refer to the same file (e.g., one can't have both a
"Foo" and a "foo" in the same directory). This can make things
interesting when one tries to copy files in bulk from a "real UNIX"
filesystem to an OS X filesystem.

Yes, it can, which is one of the reasons they provide a case-sensitive
alternative.
In case it wasn't clear -- I wasn't asking what "ironic" means in
general (I know that!) but how it applies in this context. Does
that change your answer .... <shrug>

That is exactly the question I was answering. I hate to take liberties,
but I did simply take for granted that you knew the word "ironic", noticed
that it didn't seem to apply to his posts, and wished to know how to
understand it in this particular context.

-s

spinoza1111

Seebs   said:
Who knew the Frankfurt School offered degrees in Internet Kookery?
Say what?  Often GIM[*]F, but not in this instance.  ?
[*] My.

I wonder why I didn't find that myself.  (Could Google somehow
know that sometimes I criticize, however mildly, their GG
archive-searching and Usenet-posting services?!  Nah, sheer
paranoia ....  :)?  )
Accurate enough summary, I think.  :p

If you say so!  I admit I found the first few paragraphs slow
enough going that I bailed out, though I did recognize some names.
Maybe I'll try again at some point.  Apparently some of the
enthusiasm I had for non-STEM subjects as an undergraduate has
evaporated over the years.  :-(

Pity. My own experience is that reading ability declines both in the
corporation and in those parts of universities (such as computer
science departments) which are dominated by the corporation.

I started studying "critical theory" after leaving Bell-Northern
Research and starting at Princeton, since I saw the structured
programming "revolution" destroyed even though it had two effects: it
introduced common decency into data processing, and increased
productivity.

I gave a paper on my findings for the first time in 1988.

spinoza1111

The difference being, that *particular* taunt comes from someone who
has represented me in court in the past.  :)

... Not that this difference will make Nilges suddenly actually do any
of the things he threatens to do that would give him any kind of real
exposure.  My guess is that he's quite realistic enough to realize
that any kind of actual lawsuit would leave him open to court orders
to pay costs...

A lawsuit is only one of my options. Another has been started, and
this is to show that the article on Schildt in wikipedia is in
violation of wikipedia's policy on "biographies of living persons" in
such a way as to get its creators banned, since it was created to
trash Schildt. As its primary source, your NNPOV article puts you
under suspicion.

Another option would be to submit an outline to Apress for a book on
cyberbullying by chronological adults. In that book, you'd be
anonymous but in a major case study. It will make the case that far
from being a marginal deviance, cyberbullying is used by management to
enforce control.

But as it is, you need now to start studying my case with more
diligence. Based on your replies, you seem to think that this is some
sort of game. It is not. Having been cyber-stalked and bullied, the
best way for me to heal is to defend another for no compensation pro
bono publico, and establish that cyberstalking can be ended.

Why don't you just replace both CTCN-3 and CTCN-4 with apologies, or a
blank page if you're not man enough to admit your stalking Herb?

blmblm

I use Unix the same way I use C -- by primarily writing in the standardized
land, such that I don't have to know whether something is GNU, BSD, or SysV.

And as with C it can be difficult to get right, and trying to learn
how things work by experiment only goes so far and is as likely as not
to produce non-portable results ....
(It is no accident that my published book is on "portable shell scripting".)

I may need to acquire a copy of this book. :)
Yes, it can, which is one of the reasons they provide a case-sensitive
alternative.

And very helpful that is, too.
That is exactly the question I was answering. I hate to take liberties,
but I did simply take for granted that you knew the word "ironic", noticed
that it didn't seem to apply to his posts, and wished to know how to
understand it in this particular context.

Okay. Well, I guess I put two (my interpretation of your reply) and
two (my understanding of autism-related disorders) together and got,
um, five. Or six. Or something. Sorry about that.

How "ironic" applies in context is still a mystery to me, but --
whatever, maybe.

spinoza1111

Digression:

"This"?  presumably you mean the message ID in my post?  I don't
want to discourage you from making some attempt to prune quoted
text, but aren't you supposed to leave in enough that people can
make sense of your reply just on the basis of what's quoted?
Well, moving on, and ignoring whether it should be "ellipses"
or "ellipsis" ....

Unabridged OED confirms "ellipses" for the plural. In general,
literate people tend to spell Greek words that end in -is with -es
following the Greek rule. I used plural because I am referring to
three dots. I am not certain whether that latter microdecision was
correct.

for (count = 0, t = strstr(target, in); t && *t; t = strstr(t, in)) {
++count;
t += inlen;
}

(1) Apples and oranges. My code was intended not to count occurences
but to replace them.
(2) Your code uses string.h. My purpose was to avoid it.
(3) Your code does not, as far as I can see, count overlapping
occurences such as in the two occurences of 123123 in 123123123.

I don't have a lot of confidence that it's going to work for you too,
but it's the best I can do.

You claim simplicity as the virtue of your code but you didn't do a
"requirements" study imo.
I also noticed, in the process of trying to come up with a usable
URL, that there's rather a lot of code, and at least some of it is
not especially polished, so I'm not sure it's really worth your
time to try to wade through.  But it's a fairly representative
example of the kind of code I write for my own use -- not the
best, not the worst, but fairly representative.  For code to be

That sounds collegial enough.   (Maybe.  I can think of another
interpretation.)

No, if you're Hunting for a Snark, see friend Seebach.
The factors I had in mind included, oh, affinity between the
language and the problem domain (e.g., APL is apparently very
good for problems that can expressed in terms of working on arrays
or lists), suitability for the target hardware/software platform,
the programmer's background and interests, and probably some others
I'm not thinking of right now.

But phrasing this as an engineering problem means you're basically
abusing human beings. It's one thing to be a civil engineer and master
Nature. It's quite another to distort yourself and your perceptions in
order to meet corporate programming expectations. For example, if the
flavor du jour is a false "simplicity" it's a disservice to subtly
change the requirements and to even unintentionally try to make
someone who's met requirements look "wrong".

Did you have a point to make here, or is this just a demonstration
that you're just as willing to be vulgar when conversing(?) with a
woman as with a man?

Yes. It is that compared to stalking Schildt, the constant verbal
assaults on unpopular posters including Kenny, Navia and myself, and
the disagreeable manners shown mainland Chinese posters, ironic sexism
is pretty small potatoes.

Charges of "sexism" have become in fact the equivalent to the Catholic
rules on jerking off that I grew up with. It's a set of rules that
have become detached from any foundational notion of not harming
another human being. If I genuinely thought my metaphorical/symbolic
crotch grabs created, for you, a sexist environment worse, for you,
than the toxic environment created here for male posters, I'd be the
first to desist. But I don't.

I'll admit to a preference for UNIX-like environments -- but the
thing is, declaring main() to return an int is compliant with the
C standard for what it calls "hosted environments" and presumably
will work on platforms that don't care about the return value as well
as those that do.  So to me this is the more portable choice and
therefore the better one.

I think that part of this talk about "portability" is grandiose, a
programmer fantasy that "my code is so great that generations yet
unborn will want to port it".

The fact is that C is not portable. Because it is possible to make
things subtly dependent on hardware, any port needs a great deal of
diligence. The fact that this diligence isn't manifest doesn't change
this.

If you want to write portable code, it is folly to int main(). Use
Java or C Sharp. Connected to the grandiosity of portability is the
Fear of the Senior Programmer that his lack of formal education in
computer science will be exposed in trying to learn a new language.
This is not your fear, but I think Seebach has it.

I don't quite understand who you're saying stole from whom here,
but whatever.  (I'm also not sure why you spell the Linux
originator's name with a y, when no one else seems to, but
"whatever" on that too.)

An infinite number of spelling flames will not establish a higher
level of literacy.
If it were only Linux, maybe not -- but it's not, as discussed
previously.

Sure, it's a...command line limitation...from Linux, unix and MS-DOS.
Not exactly cuttin' edge.
Further, if I understand the standard correctly, a freestanding
implementation can make its own rules about the signature of the
"main" program, including calling it something other than main(),
and it isn't required to provide all the libraries required for
a hosted environment, so it's not clear that it makes sense
to try to write complete programs that are portable across the
freestanding/hosted divide.  Writing programs that work in any
hosted environment seems like a more tractable problem, and worth
doing when one can.

But as I said, this is grandiosity relative to the normal problem,
which is to write for a specific environment. In the diligence that is
required even for "portable" code which might have tricks in it given
that C permits them, it's easy enough to change the main.
Instead you want us all to conform to the expectations of a
platform defined and owned by another corporate entity (Microsoft)
whose reputation is not exactly spotless?

This is associative thinking, where if one's affiliated with Microsoft
in some way the inference is made, rather childishly based on Lucas'
myths in Star Wars etc., that one's gone over to the Dark Side.
Whereas merely using Linux, a copy of unix, which could be considered
a considerably improved MS-DOS since MS-DOS was a misunderstood unix,
and all three are based on Western Union Teletypewriter IO, is
supposed to make one one of the Shining Ones, even if one works for an
Israeli firm, say, that deliberately mistranslates Iranian government
statements in order to deceive the Americans.

At least Microsoft pays its developers. Furthermore, minorities need
to learn it and I prefer working at campuses like DeVry where people
show up for classes and major in what they plan to profess.
Now that I think about it, I'm rather surprised by this apparent
preference of yours for Windows, given its corporate associations.
But whatever.

[ snip ]
The meaning of my literacy is that more more intelligent and more
decent than most people here.

I can't parse that sentence, sorry.

Replace the "more" by "I'm". I think in fact highly enough of your
reading skills to wonder if the lady doth feign.

The Lady doth feign,
She's playing a game
Of pretending not to understand
The thought she can't stand
[ snip ]
This is an urban legend.

You do realize that when I said "I figured out" I meant that
I, well, figured it out, based on my own experiences, rather
than simply believing something I was told, right?  I guess it's
possible that someone else did draw my attention to it, but if
so I believed it because it accorded with my own experience.

It remains a data processing myth which has created several software
crises, because it's more convenient to the corporation to celebrate
idiot savants than men and women.

My own thinking is that academic credentials are a useful screening
mechanism in the absence of other information about a person,
but the correlation between them and genuine qualifications is
not 100%.  Indeed, I strongly suspect you'd claim that you're
more qualified than your academic credentials might imply, no?

Yes, but in Seebach's case the lack has real consequences. I did take
the classes and worked for the grades: he did not. The final
credential is what's missing in my case, but it appears that Seebach
didn't leave the starting gate.

Furthermore, anyone with any respect for learning would never (and I
mean never) reduce university attendance as opposed to final
credentials to a "useful screening mechanism".
[ snip ]
Not until you start showing more solidarity with the victims of the
cybernetic mobs that so frequently form in this newsgroup owing to
enabling language expressed in dulcet tones, hon.

Duly noted.  I doubt it will change my behavior.
"Patronizing forms of address" are not a matter of syntax, but of
intent, and it is a form of fashionable autism to judge another's
sexism by means of keywords alone. I refuse to allow you to make any
inferences about my sexism for essentially the same reason I refuse to
allow Seebach to make inferences about what Schildt knows based on his
own, very limited and very biased, knowledge.

Refuse all you want.  I've drawn a tentative conclusion about
your attitudes based on the many posts of yours I've read over
the years.  That this conclusion is somewhat at odds with your
claims above is -- no surprise.  <shrug>

You sure you don't work for Human Resources? The abstract rejection
for the sake of rejection and then the shrug.
I have no idea what "ironic" means here.

It means I'm pulling your leg.
No idea what this means either.

OED: An ostentatious fondness for something; a studied display
[ snip ]
Well how about "I like making tu quoque arguments?"

Milder but in no way expressive of my intended meaning.

I would be mildly interested in an explanation of how anything I've
said constitutes a tu quoque argument.

Each spelling flame is one, since you want to disprove my claim that
I'm more literate by bringing down to the level of normalized
deviance. You will fail.

Tim Streater

[snip]
The fact is that C is not portable. Because it is possible to make
things subtly dependent on hardware, any port needs a great deal of
diligence. The fact that this diligence isn't manifest doesn't change
this.

If you want to write portable code, it is folly to int main(). Use
Java or C Sharp.

Just because you don't know how to write portable code in C, bozo, does
not mean that others can't. At SLAC in the mid-late 80s, we had a
threads kernel written in C (that supported events, semaphores, timers
[1], and thread priorities) that it was no great effort to port to DEC's
VAX/VMS and to IBM's VM/CMS. That's substantially different OSes,
different endiannesses [2], and different character sets. It's called
being professional, Spinny. You should try it sometime instead of just
being a mouth.

[1] Some of this work exposed bugs in IBM's timer services that (having
access to the assembler source code) we fixed.

[2] which affected how structs were packed, as I recall, so that
required some care.

blmblm

Unabridged OED confirms "ellipses" for the plural. In general,
literate people tend to spell Greek words that end in -is with -es
following the Greek rule. I used plural because I am referring to
three dots. I am not certain whether that latter microdecision was
correct.

Not that it matters, but as best I can tell from the definitions in
the online OED and Merriam-Webster, "ellipsis" refers to the omission
of a word or words, and also the mark *or marks* used to indicate the
omission. So one set of dots might properly be called "an ellipsis".
for (count = 0, t = strstr(target, in); t && *t; t = strstr(t, in)) {
++count;
t += inlen;
}

(1) Apples and oranges. My code was intended not to count occurences
but to replace them.

The above code is Seebs's, not mine, and as best I can tell from
comments is intended to be used *as part of* a string-replacement
function.
(2) Your code uses string.h. My purpose was to avoid it.

My code as posted includes several implementations of a string-replace
function, set up to use either the string.h library functions or
user-written functions implementing the same API, because I thought it
would be interesting to compare the performance of the two. I think
I wrote this code before it became apparent that when you said "no
string.h" you meant "and also no user-written functions implementing
the same API".
(3) Your code does not, as far as I can see, count overlapping
occurences such as in the two occurences of 123123 in 123123123.

I'm not sure you've actually looked at *my* code, given the above
comments, but -- yes, that's true: Given that I'm not going to
do anything with overlapping occurrences it doesn't strike me as
useful to count them. What my code *does* need is a count of how
many times the "needle" string is going to be replaced, so I can
calculate the size of the output string.
You claim simplicity as the virtue of your code but you didn't do a
"requirements" study imo.

What do you mean by "requirements" study? and I'm not sure I ever
claimed simplicity as a virtue of my code. though Seebs made that
claim about *his* code, quoted in my post.

[ snip ]
But phrasing this as an engineering problem means you're basically
abusing human beings. It's one thing to be a civil engineer and master
Nature. It's quite another to distort yourself and your perceptions in
order to meet corporate programming expectations. For example, if the
flavor du jour is a false "simplicity" it's a disservice to subtly
change the requirements and to even unintentionally try to make
someone who's met requirements look "wrong".
Huh?

Yes. It is that compared to stalking Schildt, the constant verbal
assaults on unpopular posters including Kenny, Navia and myself, and
the disagreeable manners shown mainland Chinese posters, ironic sexism
is pretty small potatoes.

I don't quite understand how this explains your replying to a technical
point with

"(Sigh) (Eye roll) (Crotch grab)"

Well, whatever.

[ snip ]
I think that part of this talk about "portability" is grandiose, a
programmer fantasy that "my code is so great that generations yet
unborn will want to port it".

Or a recognition of the fact that code, great or not, often survives
much longer than its author(s) might have intended, and is put to
uses they might not have imagined in writing it.
The fact is that C is not portable. Because it is possible to make
things subtly dependent on hardware, any port needs a great deal of
diligence. The fact that this diligence isn't manifest doesn't change
this.

So why make the job more difficult ....

[ snip ]
An infinite number of spelling flames will not establish a higher
level of literacy.

I think it's mildly disrespectful to not get someone's name right.
<shrug>

[ snip ]
This is associative thinking, where if one's affiliated with Microsoft
in some way the inference is made, rather childishly based on Lucas'
myths in Star Wars etc., that one's gone over to the Dark Side.
Whereas merely using Linux, a copy of unix, which could be considered
a considerably improved MS-DOS since MS-DOS was a misunderstood unix,

Where "considerably improved" here means -- *very* considerably,
I'd say, and "misunderstood" means -- I have no idea.

Would you like to hear the story I call "How I Discovered
the Difference Between (MS-)DOS and a Real Operating System"?
(Summary version: Buggy user program puts machine in a state from
which only physically turning it off and back on can rescue it.)

Single-user versus multi-user, remotely accessible via not ....
I'm sure I can come up with some other differences that seem
pretty significant to me.
and all three are based on Western Union Teletypewriter IO,

The *command shells* may be. A command shell is not an operating
system.
is
supposed to make one one of the Shining Ones, even if one works for an
Israeli firm, say, that deliberately mistranslates Iranian government
statements in order to deceive the Americans.

At least Microsoft pays its developers.

Pays them, but -- rumor has it -- expects rather a lot of hours in
return.
Furthermore, minorities need
to learn it and I prefer working at campuses like DeVry where people
show up for classes and major in what they plan to profess.

Just out of curiosity, how many of these students seemed to you
to be motivated by genuine interest in the field, and how many
by the desire to get training and/or a credential that would lead
to a good-paying job? (Not that there's necessarily much wrong
with the latter, especially in people who didn't grow up affluent.)

(What I've observed in the students where I teach is that, oh,
ten years ago during the so-called dot-com boom, there seemed
to be a lot of the latter, while now it's more the former.
We have fewer majors now, but the ones we have are more capable,
and more interested.)

[ snip ]
It remains a data processing myth which has created several software
crises, because it's more convenient to the corporation to celebrate
idiot savants than men and women.

I don't agree that it's a myth, or that it's confined to data
processing; I first noticed this phenomenon by comparing two of
my undergraduate acquaintances, neither of them involved with
data processing.
Yes, but in Seebach's case the lack has real consequences. I did take
the classes and worked for the grades: he did not. The final
credential is what's missing in my case, but it appears that Seebach
didn't leave the starting gate.

Furthermore, anyone with any respect for learning would never (and I
mean never) reduce university attendance as opposed to final
credentials to a "useful screening mechanism".

I have no idea what you mean here, but perhaps it will clarify
*my* intended meaning if I say that by "academic credentials"
I mean to include not only degrees but the entire record --
think "transcript" rather than "diploma(s)". But even the fuller
record doesn't tell the whole story. And really, I'm inclined to
have more respect for someone who's self-taught, since I think
that indicates a level of interest and commitment in a way that
academic coursework might -- *might* -- not.

[ snip ]
It means I'm pulling your leg.

This is not apparent, and indeed I'm -- skeptical. That's
offensive, yes, but so be it.

(Why am I reminded of "can't you take a joke?" used as a defense against
accusations of various -isms?)
OED: An ostentatious fondness for something; a studied display

I know what "affectation" means in general. I don't understand what
it means in context. Well, whatever.

[ snip ]
Each spelling flame is one, since you want to disprove my claim that
I'm more literate by bringing down to the level of normalized
deviance.

I do? that seems unlikely, since I don't even know what "normalized
deviance" means. The point *I* think I'm making, in drawing attention
to spelling mistakes, is that you are not in the strongest position
to comment on others' spelling, as you sometimes do, or have done.

I'd ask how what I'm doing here is different from *your* claiming(?)
that Seebs is in no position to criticize others' code given that he
makes mistakes in his own code, but -- that's rather the same line of
reasoning, isn't it?
You will fail.

I'll probably give up before you do, yes.

spinoza1111

Not that it matters, but as best I can tell from the definitions in
the online OED and Merriam-Webster, "ellipsis" refers to the omission
of a word or words, and also the mark *or marks* used to indicate the
omission.  So one set of dots might properly be called "an ellipsis".

Point taken.

I'm not sure you've actually looked at *my* code, given the above
comments, but -- yes, that's true:  Given that I'm not going to
do anything with overlapping occurrences it doesn't strike me as
useful to count them.  What my code *does* need is a count of how
many times the "needle" string is going to be replaced, so I can
calculate the size of the output string.

Got it. But the ambiguity of "the number of occurences" remains.

(1) Computing is about people and machines to a greater extent than
traditional engineering
(2) Despite obfuscation, this means mastering people as we master
nature
(3) This is always an ugly business
..

I don't quite understand how this explains your replying to a technical
point with

"(Sigh) (Eye roll) (Crotch grab)"

I take it you disapprove. Well, I disapprove of someone trying to ruin
Schildt's reputation to puff his own, and I think my recreational
sexism is nothing in comparision.
Well, whatever.

[ snip ]
Or a recognition of the fact that code, great or not, often survives
much longer than its author(s) might have intended, and is put to
uses they might not have imagined in writing it.

In my experience, contemporary American programmers rarely code, and
when they do, it's for specific assignments intended as one-off. They
simply can't be trusted anymore, and this is because corporate life
causes them to waste too much time with silly one-upmanship.
So why make the job more difficult ....

It's not made any easier by following formulae and shibboleth. Quite
the opposite; the formulae and shibboleth lull the coder into
neglecting real problems.
I think it's mildly disrespectful to not get someone's name right.
<shrug>

Babe, it's far more than "mildly" disrespectful to coin neologisms
such as "Bullschildt" and "Nilgewater" out of patronyms, and in
response I won't only coin Dweebach: I'll write original limericks in
Peter's honor:

A lousy coder named Dweebach
Was a munching on a Zweibach
Munched he, incoherently,
I knows about C
That mistaken coder named Dweebach

(Don't compete with me). This is because verbal self-defense is a
human right, sugar. Stop enabling.

Where "considerably improved" here means -- *very* considerably,
I'd say, and "misunderstood" means -- I have no idea.

Would you like to hear the story I call "How I Discovered
the Difference Between (MS-)DOS and a Real Operating System"?
(Summary version: Buggy user program puts machine in a state from
which only physically turning it off and back on can rescue it.)

Single-user versus multi-user, remotely accessible via not ....
I'm sure I can come up with some other differences that seem
pretty significant to me.

Remember the expert, who avoids minor errors while sweeping on to the
grand fallacy? We all know that MS-DOS is no longer viable.

But it's a mistake to believe that Linux is the answer. As the
(textbook author and professor) Andrew Tanenbaum pointed out, Linux as
compared to the MORE MODERN technology of microkernel OSen, is
innately insecure, less reliable and maintainable. Tanenbaum had a
"flame war" with Torvalds over this. He graciously apologized for some
of his flames; Torvalds did not, and failed to credit Tanenbaum for
Minix on which Linux was based. This was Maoism; the assault on
midlevel academic authority in the service of big money and power.

Far more than Windows, Linux is in the service of big money and power
since it is the product of slave labor. That is, each coder who
contributed to any version was a time-sliced slave. He might have been
a happy slave, but these are the best kind.

This allowed IBM, a larger and more powerful (and somewhat less
principled) company than Microsoft, to lay off its proprietary OS
developers and save the big bucks. It started with Torvalds' attack on
and expropriation of, Tanenbaum. These are as far as I can tell the
objective facts even if Tanenbaum expressed respect for Torvalds,
since computer science departments are so supported by corporate
interests that most of their professors lack true intellectual
independence.
The *command shells* may be.  A command shell is not an operating
system.

No it is not. So why is it important enough to try to ruin careers
over command shells?
Pays them, but -- rumor has it -- expects rather a lot of hours in
return.

Expects deliverables. And to reduce hours, expects a deliverable, on
many of its projects, at 5:00 PM every day. This deliverable may be a
simple return, or the final product.
Just out of curiosity, how many of these students seemed to you
to be motivated by genuine interest in the field, and how many
by the desire to get training and/or a credential that would lead
to a good-paying job?  (Not that there's necessarily much wrong
with the latter, especially in people who didn't grow up affluent.)

They cannot afford, growing up in hell, to disambiguate the two. I did
meet a former student in the loop. He was a janitor when he was in my
classes. He'd gotten a job at seven times the income that helped him
to support his family. He liked programming.
(What I've observed in the students where I teach is that, oh,
ten years ago during the so-called dot-com boom, there seemed
to be a lot of the latter, while now it's more the former.
We have fewer majors now, but the ones we have are more capable,
and more interested.)

[ snip ]
It remains a data processing myth which has created several software
crises, because it's more convenient to the corporation to celebrate
idiot savants than men and women.

I don't agree that it's a myth, or that it's confined to data
processing; I first noticed this phenomenon by comparing two of
my undergraduate acquaintances, neither of them involved with
data processing.

I think it's a myth, because in my experience the defective
personalities I've had to work with are normally the sort of
personalities who manifest anti-intellectualism, haven't dealt with
their resentments against an educational system that failed to serve
them, and who make precisely the decisions that cause large software
systems to fail.

Most of these personalities are aliterate, and think of user needs
based on the law as whims. As they age and stale, they are usually
attracted to right-wing simplifications of complexity.

Most are uninterested in Dijkstra's job one, not making a mess of it,
since they tend to like messes that form a mirror of the mess they're
in.

They are fond of laughing at anything that manifests thought in excess
of a low minimum.

If your acquaintances are in other fields, then the rot is spreading.
For example, before Reagan, GWB would not have been considered a
viable candidate, and Sarah Palin would have been locked up. But the
prototypes of GWB and Palin were forged in the corporation.
I have no idea what you mean here, but perhaps it will clarify
*my* intended meaning if I say that by "academic credentials"
I mean to include not only degrees but the entire record --
think "transcript" rather than "diploma(s)".  But even the fuller
record doesn't tell the whole story.  And really, I'm inclined to
have more respect for someone who's self-taught, since I think
that indicates a level of interest and commitment in a way that
academic coursework might -- *might* -- not.

Being self-taught in your sense might indicate interest and
committment, but in a company with tuition refund, not beating your
ass on over to NYU, Stanford or even DeVry might also indicate vanity
and reluctance to be exposed to the Other. I say this because in Peter
I detect this reluctance, most strongly from his not even reading the
first email from me when I tried to resolve the "flame war". He also
acted bizarrely as regards Schildt, refusing an offer from McGraw Hill
possibly because this might have meant an encounter. Also, I checked
his Mom's blog...which is public, to find her protesting the
affirmative expansion of science classes to minorities, which
indicates a sort of social background of mistrust and reluctance to
engage.

I was largely self-taught but also unafraid to take a LOT of graduate
classes. And, I succeeded at them. It simply is bizarre to brag, as
does Peter, about not taking CS.

[ snip ]
It means I'm pulling your leg.

This is not apparent, and indeed I'm -- skeptical.  That's
offensive, yes, but so be it.

(Why am I reminded of "can't you take a joke?" used as a defense against
accusations of various -isms?)

Because you can't? Seriously, corporate anti-sexism is an ersatz for
personal decency. I will remind you that I allied myself and went to
bat for a female coworker at Bell Northern Research and this conduct
was not at all atypical.
I know what "affectation" means in general.  I don't understand what
it means in context.  Well, whatever.

Leg pull?
[ snip ]
Each spelling flame is one, since you want to disprove my claim that
I'm more literate by bringing down to the level of normalized
deviance.

I do?  that seems unlikely, since I don't even know what "normalized
deviance" means.  The point *I* think I'm making, in drawing attention

Cf. THE CHALLENGER LAUNCH DECISION, Univ of Chicago 1999, Diane
Vaughan. It's a study of the 1986 explosion of the Space Shuttle.
Vaughan had to develop a theory of "normalized deviance" because
quantitative sociologists tend to accept statistically predominant
behavior as non-deviant within a community, but it was obvious that as
a result of Reagan-era demands on NASA to "prove" that "America was
still great", engineers abandoned nondeviant practice from immediately
outside NASA, and normalized bad practice, including being proactively
skeptical of knowledge claims; engineers "knew that they didn't know"
how alloys on O-rings around fuel tanks would perform in unusually
(for Florida) low temperatures, and this absence was used (deviantly
with respect even to former NASA standards applied to Apollo) to
justify a disastrously aggressive launch schedule.

The normalized deviant here doesn't make spelling errors out of
knowing a variant practice (I have to teach UK spelling with an
American education), wit or laziness. He makes them because he doesn't
read books all that much.

I'm just different.
to spelling mistakes, is that you are not in the strongest position
to comment on others' spelling, as you sometimes do, or have done.

Only in the context of pointing out a broader ill or a literacy, and
NEVER in some tirade of the template "you think you're so fucking
smart but you make spelling mistakes like us, therefore (derefore) you
is a dime a dozen just like us".
I'd ask how what I'm doing here is different from *your* claiming(?)
that Seebs is in no position to criticize others' code given that he
makes mistakes in his own code, but -- that's rather the same line of
reasoning, isn't it?

No, because Seebs' posted code is in each case I've seen since the
beginning of this year, when I started to look at it, much worse than
Schildt's examples: failure to replace %s, off by one in one line, and
an unstructured switch().

My argument contra Dweebach is holistic. The package doesn't make the
grade. If he were a programmer like Bacarisse, he'd be forgiven the
lack of academic qualifications. If he had a PhD like Malcolm, I'd be
more patient with him. If he hadn't stalked Schildt, I wouldn't ****
with him at all.

My reasons for concluding that Seebach is off the rails are those
three. The worst is the stalking, then the bad code, and then the lack
of academic qualifications (which could be undegreed course work)
relative to his claims.

blmblm

[ snip ]
Got it. But the ambiguity of "the number of occurences" remains.

And? As best I can tell, you're critiquing code I didn't write.

Now, it's true that the function in my code that counts how many
replacements are needed is called count_occurrences. But I think
the ambiguity is resolved by the comments -- or at least that
was my intent:

/*
* count occurrences of old_text in s, scanning left to right and
* ignoring overlapping occurrences
*/
size_t count_occurrences(const char* s, const char* old_text) {
char* first;
if (x_strlen(s) == 0) return 0;
first = x_strstr(s, old_text);
if (first == NULL) return 0;
return 1 + count_occurrences(first + x_strlen(old_text), old_text);
}

(Functions x_strlen and x_strstr are either the string.h library
functions or user-written substitutes.)

Possibly some other wording would be even less ambiguous. <shrug>

I'm still curious about what you meant by "requirements study", when
you said upthread:

'You claim simplicity as the virtue of your code but you didn't do a
"requirements" study imo.'

[ snip ]
I take it you disapprove.

Yes. Mildly, but yes.
Well, I disapprove of someone trying to ruin
Schildt's reputation to puff his own, and I think my recreational
sexism is nothing in comparision.

I don't find that the one excuses the other. <shrug>

[ snip ]

Agreed said:
and in
response I won't only coin Dweebach: I'll write original limericks in
Peter's honor:

[ snip ]

[ snip ]
Remember the expert, who avoids minor errors while sweeping on to the
grand fallacy? We all know that MS-DOS is no longer viable.
And?

[...]

Are they. Hm, where's *my* corporate support ....

[ snip ]
Expects deliverables. And to reduce hours, expects a deliverable, on
many of its projects, at 5:00 PM every day. This deliverable may be a
simple return, or the final product.

So are you saying that Microsoft's technical employees are not
expected to work more than about 40 hours a week? That would be
a pleasant surprise if true -- which I suppose it could be.

[ snip ]
Being self-taught in your sense might indicate interest and
committment, but in a company with tuition refund, not beating your
ass on over to NYU, Stanford or even DeVry might also indicate vanity
and reluctance to be exposed to the Other. I say this because in Peter
I detect this reluctance, most strongly from his not even reading the
first email from me when I tried to resolve the "flame war". He also
acted bizarrely as regards Schildt, refusing an offer from McGraw Hill
possibly because this might have meant an encounter. Also, I checked
his Mom's blog...which is public, to find her protesting the
affirmative expansion of science classes to minorities, which
indicates a sort of social background of mistrust and reluctance to
engage.

Can you provide a specific reference to one such post? The link
from Seebs's Web page (at http://www.seebs.net) to his mother's column
appears to be broken. Googling, I found this

http://www.lindaseebach.net/wordpress/

which I think is the right person, but in a quick skim of the first
few entries I don't find anything like what you describe.

[ snip ]
Because you can't?

Could be. In my experience, however, "can't you take a joke?" is
as often as not an attempted defense of supposed humor that's really
a thinly-veiled insult.
Seriously, corporate anti-sexism is an ersatz for
personal decency. I will remind you that I allied myself and went to
bat for a female coworker at Bell Northern Research and this conduct
was not at all atypical.

With all due respect, we have only your word for this.

[ snip ]
Cf. THE CHALLENGER LAUNCH DECISION, Univ of Chicago 1999, Diane
Vaughan. It's a study of the 1986 explosion of the Space Shuttle.
Vaughan had to develop a theory of "normalized deviance" because
quantitative sociologists tend to accept statistically predominant
behavior as non-deviant within a community, but it was obvious that as
a result of Reagan-era demands on NASA to "prove" that "America was
still great", engineers abandoned nondeviant practice from immediately
outside NASA, and normalized bad practice, including being proactively
skeptical of knowledge claims; engineers "knew that they didn't know"
how alloys on O-rings around fuel tanks would perform in unusually
(for Florida) low temperatures, and this absence was used (deviantly
with respect even to former NASA standards applied to Apollo) to
justify a disastrously aggressive launch schedule.

Huh. I think I was under the impression that the Challenger launch
disaster had been caused by management acting against the advice of
technical employees. Your description makes it sound as though the
engineers were at fault.
The normalized deviant here doesn't make spelling errors out of
knowing a variant practice (I have to teach UK spelling with an
American education),

You seem to be saying here that the supposed spelling errors I've
pointed out are standard UK spelling. That's not the impression
I get from the OED, though in some cases I suppose I *could* be
misinterpreting the entries. said:
wit or laziness. He makes them because he doesn't
read books all that much.

I'm just different.
Indeed.