+ in URL causing problems

Terry Burns

Hi i have noticed in my IIS logs that there are 404 errors when crawlers use
+ signs to delimit search strings, this is only more recently.

IE

/courses/NET+Framework+Course.htm ' causes errors

if they use spaces

/courses/NET%20Framework%20Course.htm

Then no problems.

Is there a setting I need to make to enable this kind or url format ?

Cheers

blackstaronline.net

How many pages of yours have spaces in them? Would it be easier to
rename them without spaces?

Terry Burns

Good point, but there are thousands of indexes already out there which do
make it, but there are more frequently failures lately. Is there no
solution, it seems a bit odd to me.

blackstaronline.net

How are the links on your pages set up? When you link to the spaced
pages is it;

/courses/NET%20Framework%20Course.htm

or

/courses/NET Framework Course.htm

I know your looking for a simple "flip a switch" on the server and make
it work. I don't know of any setting that will make that happen. (I'm
not saying there isn't one, I just don't know of any)

I would think if your links contain '%20' in them, when the crawlers
follow the link it should work. The only scenario I can think of is if
your link has physical spaces in it so some specific crawlers
automatically enter a '+' in the string. But I'm not sure.

I'm interested to see what other people have to say about this.

Jeremy Reid
http://blackstaronline.net/hgtit

Terry Burns

Well, I bit the bullet and changed them to spaceless links. Better safe than
sorry, I will probably miss a few hits, but what the hell. The links did
have %20 in them, its just that 'SOME' crawlers seem to translate this to a
+ sign which does not work on my server.

Thanks for trying to help anyway, much appreciated. ( I would still like to
see if there is a switch tho )

Cheers

George Ter-Saakov

2 Tips.
1. Make a custom 404 error. So you will not miss hits.
2. Use '-' minus sign to separate words. Not spaces. Search engines do
actually take it as separator.

George.

blackstaronline.net

Ya, the custom 404 error is a great idea. That way they still have
access to your site without getting the generic page not found error
message. Removing the spaces is the best way and it's only a matter
of time before all the crawlers come back around and update their
indexes with the new names.

Jeremy
http://blackstaronline.net/hgtit