#INCLUDE FILE= variable

Carolyn Speakman

is it in any way possible to include a file specified by a variable name?

Thanks,
Carolyn

Carolyn Speakman

Is there a way to use that to call a page/script stored on a client machine,
that the client can specify?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

No. The page has to be served by a web server.

You'll have to upload the file to the server where it can be executed.

Bob Barrows

Patrice

What exactly is the overall picture ?
Do you want to execute this code server side (some kind of personnalization)
? One for each client ? Is this some client side personnalization ?

Knowing what you are trying to achieve will help to make better
suggestions...

Patrice

Carolyn Speakman

The idea is to get a listing of all .exe files in a directory on a client
computer and pass the information back to a server to update a database. The
directory is specified by the user via a form on an Extranet.

It could be possible to have a file (script or something) on the client
machine, which could be invoked via a page on the Extranet, but I still don't
know how that would really work if I can't do a #include or server.execute to
a file other than a file on the server.

Carolyn

Ray at

ASP is not the right technology for this... Is this on a private network?
If so, I suggest you look into something like SMS or Altiris or something
along those lines. A Web page should have no rights whatsoever to scan a
client's hard drive and take inventory of it... Imagine if that were
default browser behavior for such a thing to be allowed. What happens when
you go to a site that is looking for C:\MyCreditCardNumbers.txt?

Ray at work

Patrice

#include and server.execute are intended to execute server side code.

You could use the HTML "script" tag with the src attribute to point to a
local javaScript file.
IMO it would be better to just have an ASP Page that send the appropriate
script to the browser (so that you don't have to deploy anything to target
machines). In your client side JavaScript code you sould be able to create a
Scripting.FileSystemObject to browse a directory for files.

Note that users will have to accept to run this script or that you'll have
to alter a global security policy as this is obviously not allowed by
default...

Patrice