    server and writing the includes straight to a web folder.

    What are we doing wrong? Indeed, can we even achieve this task?

    Many thanks in advance.
    Des Perado, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Des Perado

    Turkbear Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:45:14 +0100, "Des Perado" <> wrote:

    >We have a DOS app running on a Novell server. We want to make information
    >from the app visible in a web page on our intranet. We have a program in
    >the DOS directory producing 4 include files regularly, and the Novell server
    >is mapped (as drive Q:) on the intranet server.
    >
    >I've tried <!--#include file="q:\folder\figures.inc"--> and <!--#include
    >virtual=... in a .ASP file but neither will work, giving "include file not
    >found" errors. Our engineers don't want to do it the other way round, ie,
    >setting a drive to the intranet server from a workstation on the Novell
    >server and writing the includes straight to a web folder.
    >
    >What are we doing wrong? Indeed, can we even achieve this task?
    >
    >Many thanks in advance.

    AFAIK, the mapping you created is not 'seen' by IIS - it is set when the user that mapped it logs in.

    Try using a UNC reference

    \\netwareserver\directory\filenametoinclude
    Turkbear, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Des Perado

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:45:14 +0100, "Des Perado" <> wrote:

    >We have a DOS app running on a Novell server. We want to make information
    >from the app visible in a web page on our intranet. We have a program in
    >the DOS directory producing 4 include files regularly, and the Novell server
    >is mapped (as drive Q:) on the intranet server.
    >
    >I've tried <!--#include file="q:\folder\figures.inc"--> and <!--#include
    >virtual=... in a .ASP file but neither will work, giving "include file not
    >found" errors. Our engineers don't want to do it the other way round, ie,
    >setting a drive to the intranet server from a workstation on the Novell
    >server and writing the includes straight to a web folder.
    >
    >What are we doing wrong? Indeed, can we even achieve this task?

    You're assuming IIS is accessing the system as a user, which it may
    be, but likely not the user you think. You can't use Mapped drives
    with a drive letter easily in IIS (or ASP), but may be able to use the
    UNC share, as in \\server\sharename. The key is the user, and that
    depends on your setup. Normally IIS will use the Anonymous Web User
    account for access, which depends on your version of IIS.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Des Perado

    Des Perado Guest

    "Des Perado" <> wrote in message
    > We have a DOS app running on a Novell server. We want to make information
    > from the app visible in a web page on our intranet. We have a program in

    Very many thanks to Turkbear and Jeff for the suggestions.

    Unfortunately we couoldn't get it to work at all, and it does seem to be the
    case that the drive we mapped, Q:, is not visible to IIS or ASP. So we've
    cracked the problem a different way, by getting the DOS program on the
    Novell Netware server to execute a shelled FTP script to shove the four
    ..INCs up to the web server, and this is working well and is very fast.

    Thanks again.
    Des Perado, Oct 19, 2004