Include from a Novell server

Des Perado

We have a DOS app running on a Novell server. We want to make information
from the app visible in a web page on our intranet. We have a program in
the DOS directory producing 4 include files regularly, and the Novell server
is mapped (as drive Q:) on the intranet server.

I've tried <!--#include file="q:\folder\figures.inc"--> and <!--#include
virtual=... in a .ASP file but neither will work, giving "include file not
found" errors. Our engineers don't want to do it the other way round, ie,
setting a drive to the intranet server from a workstation on the Novell
server and writing the includes straight to a web folder.

What are we doing wrong? Indeed, can we even achieve this task?

Many thanks in advance.

Turkbear

We have a DOS app running on a Novell server. We want to make information
from the app visible in a web page on our intranet. We have a program in
the DOS directory producing 4 include files regularly, and the Novell server
is mapped (as drive Q:) on the intranet server.

I've tried <!--#include file="q:\folder\figures.inc"--> and <!--#include
virtual=... in a .ASP file but neither will work, giving "include file not
found" errors. Our engineers don't want to do it the other way round, ie,
setting a drive to the intranet server from a workstation on the Novell
server and writing the includes straight to a web folder.

What are we doing wrong? Indeed, can we even achieve this task?

Many thanks in advance.
AFAIK, the mapping you created is not 'seen' by IIS - it is set when the user that mapped it logs in.

Try using a UNC reference

\\netwareserver\directory\filenametoinclude

Jeff Cochran

We have a DOS app running on a Novell server. We want to make information
from the app visible in a web page on our intranet. We have a program in
the DOS directory producing 4 include files regularly, and the Novell server
is mapped (as drive Q:) on the intranet server.

I've tried <!--#include file="q:\folder\figures.inc"--> and <!--#include
virtual=... in a .ASP file but neither will work, giving "include file not
found" errors. Our engineers don't want to do it the other way round, ie,
setting a drive to the intranet server from a workstation on the Novell
server and writing the includes straight to a web folder.

What are we doing wrong? Indeed, can we even achieve this task?

You're assuming IIS is accessing the system as a user, which it may
be, but likely not the user you think. You can't use Mapped drives
with a drive letter easily in IIS (or ASP), but may be able to use the
UNC share, as in \\server\sharename. The key is the user, and that
depends on your setup. Normally IIS will use the Anonymous Web User
account for access, which depends on your version of IIS.

Jeff

Des Perado

Des Perado said:
We have a DOS app running on a Novell server. We want to make information
from the app visible in a web page on our intranet. We have a program in

Very many thanks to Turkbear and Jeff for the suggestions.

Unfortunately we couoldn't get it to work at all, and it does seem to be the
case that the drive we mapped, Q:, is not visible to IIS or ASP. So we've
cracked the problem a different way, by getting the DOS program on the
Novell Netware server to execute a shelled FTP script to shove the four
..INCs up to the web server, and this is working well and is very fast.

Thanks again.