    wondered if there was anything I could enable locally on my PC to give
    the same visibility of the page when I test it.

    TIA

    DartGuru, Oct 22, 2008

  2. DartGuru

    rf Guest

    "DartGuru" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a webpage xxx.shtml which includes another page using <!--
    > #include file="yyy.htm" -->.
    >
    > This works perfectly well on my website, as I would expect.
    > However, I have a copy of my website on my hard drive for testing
    > purposes and the included file is ignored.
    > I understand that the type of inclusion I use is an SSI directive, but
    > wondered if there was anything I could enable locally on my PC to give
    > the same visibility of the page when I test it.

    Install a web server. Apache comes to mind.

    Search the web.

    rf, Oct 22, 2008

  3. On 2008-10-22, DartGuru wrote:
    > I have a webpage xxx.shtml which includes another page using <!--
    > #include file="yyy.htm" -->.
    >
    > This works perfectly well on my website, as I would expect.
    > However, I have a copy of my website on my hard drive for testing
    > purposes and the included file is ignored.
    > I understand that the type of inclusion I use is an SSI directive, but
    > wondered if there was anything I could enable locally on my PC to give
    > the same visibility of the page when I test it.

    The including is done by the web server. If you are calling the page
    as a file, then there is no web server and nothing will be included.

    Do you have a web server running on your computer?

    If not, get one. Then use: <http://127.0.0.1/location/of/page>

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Oct 22, 2008
  4. DartGuru

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    DartGuru <> wrote:

    > I have a webpage xxx.shtml which includes another page using <!--
    > #include file="yyy.htm" -->.
    >
    > This works perfectly well on my website, as I would expect.
    > However, I have a copy of my website on my hard drive for testing
    > purposes and the included file is ignored.
    > I understand that the type of inclusion I use is an SSI directive, but
    > wondered if there was anything I could enable locally on my PC to give
    > the same visibility of the page when I test it.

    Apart from a web server, you can do this: open the webpage you want to
    see on your website (as you call it), View Source. Select All, Copy,
    Paste into your editor and name the file the same as the original. View
    on your computer locally. You might even be able to get a facility to
    download all your pages from your "website".

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 22, 2008
  5. DartGuru

    DartGuru Guest

    Unfortunately, I don't have the option of installing a web server on
    my PC.

    I know I could copy the included file into the source and overwrite
    the original source, but that sort of defeats the object.

    Thanks for the replies, I had hoped there was a simple solution that I
    could work with, but I guess not.

    DartGuru, Oct 23, 2008
  6. DartGuru

    rf Guest

    "DartGuru" <> wrote in message

    > Unfortunately, I don't have the option of installing a web server on
    > my PC.

    Why? Can't you install software on your PC?

    You look for PHP HOME on google, download it, install it and ten minutes
    later you have apache/mysql/php.

    rf, Oct 23, 2008