Includes in ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGFjdW5h?=, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. I'm a begginer at ASP.NET having developed for several years in ASP and
    VBScript.

    I am developing a website where I'm componetazing the header, content
    section and the footer. Each secion is a different page.

    My codes looks like something like this

    <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Codebehind="default.aspx.vb"
    Inherits="LDOL._default" %>
    <!--#include file="header.aspx"-->
    default page content here...
    <!--#include file="footer.aspx"-->

    My dilema comes when I have different functions in the header.vb page (such
    as getting metatags from a db) that cannot be seen because the default.aspx
    page looks for the function in the default.vb page instead. It returns an
    error "Function not declared". I've tried to find a way where I can have all
    my common functions in a centrailzed place (like the global.asax) but have
    not been successfull. Am I trying to make ASP.NET do something that was a
    shortcoming of ASP? That is what is seems to me...
    --
    Thank you for your help
    =?Utf-8?B?RGFjdW5h?=, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Hi Dacuna,

    There are much betters way in ASP.NET to achieve the same thing.

    What you need is a web user control. There are trillions of tutorials on how
    to do this on web. A web user control is a particle of reusable HTML combined
    with code-behind. The only difference of the web user control from a normal
    page is that first it's reusable and second it does not contain any html
    header etc. See it as a part of the body of the main page. Then you can
    expose methods on this user control to the main page in a simple way.

    Perhaps you also need the following links to start with;

    User Controls:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...n/html/vbconintroductiontowebusercontrols.asp

    and even

    Page object model:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/u...objectmodel.asp#aspnet-pageobjectmodel_topic3

    Hope this helps,

    Ethem

    =?Utf-8?B?RXRoZW0gQXp1bg==?=, Oct 19, 2004