including xml inline html documents

Michael Hill

I was wondering if it is possible to include a xml structure in your html
document.

For example given the below snippet the function "dothis()" will return 0
and "dothat()" will return 1.

If I can use xml in html I should be returning 1 for both functions.

Thanks,

Mike

<script>
function dothis()
{
var xxx = document.getElementById('xmlid');
alert(xxx.childNodes.length);
}
function dothat()
{
var xxx = document.getElementById('tblid');
alert(xxx.childNodes.length);
}
</script>

<xml id="xmlid">
<data>
<first>abc</first>
</data>
</xml>

VK

<xml> is just a wrapper for Microsoft Data Island.
Do start working with the XML data itself, you have to go one more level
down, and after that use the standard DOM methods for XML objects.

From your example:

function dothis() {
var xxx = xmlid.XMLDocument.selectSingleNode('data/first');
alert(xxx.text);
<xml id="xmlid">
<data>
<first>abc</first>
</data>
</xml>

Michael Hill

VK said:
<xml> is just a wrapper for Microsoft Data Island.
Do start working with the XML data itself, you have to go one more level
down, and after that use the standard DOM methods for XML objects.

From your example:

function dothis() {
var xxx = xmlid.XMLDocument.selectSingleNode('data/first');
alert(xxx.text);
<xml id="xmlid">
<data>
<first>abc</first>
</data>
</xml>
vk, thanks for that start. using this script:

var myxml = xmlid.XMLDocument;
var myroot = myxml.documentElement;
var myNodes = myroot.childNodes;
for ( i=0; i<myNodes.length; i++ )
{
alert(myNodes.item(i).firstChild.nodeValue);
}

and this xml

<xml id="xmlid">
<data>
</data>
</xml>

I get "abc", "xyz" as predicted, but when I change my xml adding another
record it does not.

<xml id="xmlid">
<data>
</data>
<data>
</data>
</xml>

i can't get my node pointer positioned correctly.

Mike

Martin Honnen

Michael Hill wrote:

but when I change my xml adding another
record it does not.

<xml id="xmlid">
<data>
</data>
<data>
</data>
</xml>

i can't get my node pointer positioned correctly.

Well it is called XML data island as you are supposed to have XML in
there and XML needs to have exactly one root element to contain all
other elements e.g.
<xml id="xmlid">
<root>
<data>