incompatible libruby-static.a using mkmf in bitnami stack

Ben Pellegrini

Hi,

Im trying to install ruby-oci8 on Red hat and having difficulty getting
the make command to run on the unpacked gem.

The output from mkmf.log is below - I think the key part is 'skipping
incompatible .. libruby-static.a'

The operating system is 64 bit the ruby install is 32 bit, Im not sure
if this could be causing the problem. The whole system is running as a
Bitnami stack so Im not sure if / how I can modify it.

Any help gratefully received !!!

Many thanks
Ben

"gcc -o conftest -I.
-I/appl/apache/dev/development/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux -I.
-DAI_ADDRCONFIG=0 -I/appl/apache/dev/development/common/include -D_FILE
_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DAI_ADDRCONFIG=0
-I/appl/apache/dev/development/common/include
-I/appl/apache/dev/development/common/include conftest.c -L.
-L/appl/apac
he/dev/development/ruby/lib -Wl,-R/appl/apache/dev/development/ruby/lib
-L. -L/appl/apache/dev/development/common/lib -rdynamic
-Wl,-export-dynamic -lrub
y-static -lpthread -lrt -ldl -lcrypt -lm -lc"
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/appl/apache/dev/development/ruby/lib/libruby-static.a when searching
for -lruby-static
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lruby-static
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: int main() { return 0; }
/* end */

Ruby is installed as part of the Bitnami stack
ruby version :