Incompetent web authoring or much worse?

cwdjrxyz

"hi-speed" is relative. When I first started engineering data circuits
anything above 1200 baud was considered "hi-speed." I know some folks
in the podunks that would love to get 512 kbps.

I can remember when about 300 baud was usual for connection of a
terminal to a house mainframe. I used a minicomputer(which was not so
small in physical size and had core memory) to automate the collection
of data from an instrument. It mainly advanced angle by increments of
a few seconds of one degree and determined x-ray intensity at each
angle. The time for data collection at each point was rather long, so
the instrument ran full time. Intensity data was recorded vs angle on
an audio cassette tape on the terminal. I had to program the mini
computer in octal. It controlled and monitored about 20 things
including advancement of a micrometer, cooling water temperature for
the target of the x-ray tube, a scintillation counter, etc. When data
collection was complete, the terminal was switched to the line to the
house mainframe and the data collected on the tape was sent at about
300 baud. This was a case of a reasonable amount of data and huge
computing requirements. The data had to be processed using matrix
inversion of huge 2 dimensional arrays at each point for which a
parameter was varied. The computing demands were so large that my
program caused the whole house computing network to slow down greatly,
and calculations took over 1/2 hour. The computer finally printed out
results on the printer at the computer center. About that time people
started using crude CRT terminals as well as text terminals. Also HD
storage devices were beginning to be used, although they were very
expensive and had very low storage capacity by today's standards.

The internet was then still in the future. Sometimes the computer
center personnel would arrange to connect our house computer to
another computer via telephone. The transfer rate of data via
telephone then was quite small, but I do not recall what it was. Those
who had need for high transfer rate used microwave. At that time, Bell
telephone had microwave towers all over the country for long distance,
data services, TV, etc. Of course this service was very expensive,
because the microwave transmission was line-of- sight, so a huge
number of tall microwave towers had to be built all over the country.
This network of Microwave towers was replaced by C-band and Ku-band
satellites as well as fiber optics lines.

Today the goal is to increase speed enough so that TV can be
transmitted in real time at DVD and recently HD DVD standards as well
as normal web pages, telephone services, etc. This will require fiber
optics directly to the computer, not just via fiber optics to a
distribution line that has a conventional cable leading to each house
or business. This has been done on an experimental basis. When you
consider that over 10 Mbps is needed for DVD quality digital signals,
even more for HD ones, and more bandwith will be required for other
services, it is easy to see that it will be several years before such
services are available in most areas at a price that people will be
willing to pay.

For those who live beyond to reach of broadband now, a service with a
dialup telephone link and a satellite broadband download link is
available all over the US and in other places. Often one located in
areas that broadband does not reach has a small dish or a large dish C
- Ku band antenna for TV that will work without having to buy a new
antenna. Although the service is more expensive that most cable and
DSL delivered broadband, and often is slower in download, if there is
no other choice, many are willing to pay the price. Services with a
satellite link for upload also are available, but these are quite
expensive and are most likely to attract business and news
organization users.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Jukka K. Korpela ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
Scripsit Neredbojias:

Oh, what a luxury. My first experience about using a network
connection at home was with terminal that that had a manual switch
for selecting between 110 and 300 bit/s.

You were lucky. When I was a lad, we 'ad to type our code onto th'pigeon and
send it off... ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:50:10
GMT dorayme scribed:

Oh, _that_ text! Well why didn't you say so?

Of course! If the context of the original post was clearly all
about this except to a boji, it does not count as _saying_ so.
Perhaps you have followed that policy of that schmark schmate of
yours who also employs the trick of "not reading my crap" when
caught in a bind. When I get to be Ruler of the World, you and he
will only have my writings to read in your dungeon. You will be
_made_ to learn to recite them from memory.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 09 Aug 2007 21:04:55 GMT
dorayme scribed:
Of course! If the context of the original post was clearly all
about this except to a boji, it does not count as _saying_ so.
Perhaps you have followed that policy of that schmark schmate of
yours who also employs the trick of "not reading my crap" when
caught in a bind. When I get to be Ruler of the World, you and he
will only have my writings to read in your dungeon. You will be
_made_ to learn to recite them from memory.

I didn't know you were into s&m, though I guess it figures. Anyway, from
one of your earlier descriptions, I thought you meant the bigger text, not
the teeny weeny text which starts out "Note to self" or something equally
silly. Had you been more accurate, you probably could have avoided causing
this error in the first place.

Suggestion: When you reach the "ruler of the world" plateau, why not adopt
a new honorific such as "Tyrantess Oris" to indicate your status as the
definitive despot of disoriented yakers?

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Had you been more accurate, you probably could have avoided causing
this error in the first place.

You seem not to know the idioms of the English language. I know,
it is so churlish of me to say this but since you and your shmark
mate make such pompous remarks about the primacy of English
conventions, I don't feel too bad. My popularity can hardly get
worse.

Face it Boji, you consistently fail to understand many things
because you are a sexist self-engrossed_yet_gross carelessly
chattering thing.

There is a common meaning of "fine print" conditions. They are
the little printed conditions at the bottom that one can barely
read in newspaper ads. The one ray of hope for readers of a web
page is to enlarge the text. If this is blocked, then it is
something I thought worth remarking on at the time. Naturally, I
should take into account that anything that is said is likely to
have you idiotically bursting in on and misconstruing whatever
you can and generally just spewing forth.

Luckily, I have nothing in my nature that is not concise, to the
point, accurate, troll_less and directly relevant and useful to
all. It is simply not my fault that the boji in earthlings can
not always see this.

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2007-08-10, dorayme wrote:
There is a common meaning of "fine print" conditions. They are
the little printed conditions at the bottom that one can barely
read in newspaper ads. The one ray of hope for readers of a web
page is to enlarge the text. If this is blocked, then

... you need the Image Zoom add-on for Firefox.

dorayme

On 2007-08-10, dorayme wrote:

... you need the Image Zoom add-on for Firefox.

Is it better than the Opera zoom feature? One can - slightly
unpleasantly - read it with Opera.

But really, the issue was not me, rather I was the bearer of bad
news.

I think we have just about squeezed the life out of this thread,
the only thing remaining is a few more Punch & Judy on stage
smacking between Boji and me.

(btw. I rather fancy myself as being Punch.

From an authoritative source:

"The stereotypical view of Punch casts him as a deformed,
child-murdering, boji-beating psychopath who commits appalling
acts of violence and cruelty upon all those around him and
escapes scot-free ­ this is greatly enjoyed by small children"

).

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:59:16
GMT dorayme scribed:
You seem not to know the idioms of the English language. I know,
it is so churlish of me to say this but since you and your shmark
mate make such pompous remarks about the primacy of English
conventions, I don't feel too bad. My popularity can hardly get
worse.

Face it Boji, you consistently fail to understand many things
because you are a sexist self-engrossed_yet_gross carelessly
chattering thing.

A bonafide display of a refined man's sexually-elevated probations is
hardly sexist. Now displaying my elevated sex pro bono, -that would be
sexist.

However, my thing doesn't chatter. You must be watching too many of them
adult cartoons on The 'Net.
There is a common meaning of "fine print" conditions. They are
the little printed conditions at the bottom that one can barely
read in newspaper ads. The one ray of hope for readers of a web
page is to enlarge the text. If this is blocked, then it is
something I thought worth remarking on at the time. Naturally, I
should take into account that anything that is said is likely to
have you idiotically bursting in on and misconstruing whatever
you can and generally just spewing forth.

Luckily, I have nothing in my nature that is not concise, to the
point, accurate, troll_less and directly relevant and useful to
all.

Yes, I'm sure phrases like "shmark mate", "that schmark schmate of
yours", and "schmuck" are most edifying to the majority of those
newsgrouping souls unfortunate enough to encounter your "relevancy"
first-hand.

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Yes, I'm sure phrases like "shmark mate", "that schmark schmate of
yours", and "schmuck" are most edifying to the majority of those
newsgrouping souls unfortunate enough to encounter your "relevancy"
first-hand.

Yeah, yeah, edification, schmedification, whatever...

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 05:52:47 GMT
dorayme scribed:
Yeah, yeah, edification, schmedification, whatever...

How like a woman to avoid the issue of her faux pas.

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
dorayme scribed:

How like a woman to avoid the issue of her faux pas.

You are really one of a very special kind, dear Boji, are you
not? Without the evidence of the brain material I have now
repeatedly asked you to send a sample of for analysis, it is as
likely as not, given your interest in lower things, that you have
no idea whatsoever what a faux pas is. I am pretty sure you
suppose it to be a sort of breaking of wind.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 07:41:54 GMT
dorayme scribed:
You are really one of a very special kind, dear Boji, are you
not? Without the evidence of the brain material I have now
repeatedly asked you to send a sample of for analysis, it is as
likely as not, given your interest in lower things, that you have
no idea whatsoever what a faux pas is. I am pretty sure you
suppose it to be a sort of breaking of wind.

No, it's French for "a mistake". I realize I used the singular form in a
plural situation, but since I singularized the nominative and don't really
speak French, anyway...

Hey, you never got back to me about Kangaroo Day. Do any, er, hoppin'?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:11:17 GMT
dorayme scribed:
Kangaroo Day? What are you babbling about?

Dontcha celebrate Kangaroo Day thare? We celebrate Groundhog Day 'round
these here parts.

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Dontcha celebrate Kangaroo Day thare? We celebrate Groundhog Day 'round
these here parts.

No, there is no Kangaroo Day here. Australians like to celebrate
every defeat, every debacle, every tragedy and happily enjoy the
time off when the Q of E gets one year older (it happens once a
year in case you are wondering. I understand that Groundhog
happens daily but seems yearly)

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:47:11
GMT dorayme scribed:
No, there is no Kangaroo Day here. Australians like to celebrate
every defeat, every debacle, every tragedy and happily enjoy the
time off when the Q of E gets one year older (it happens once a
year in case you are wondering. I understand that Groundhog
happens daily but seems yearly)

Once a year on 2 Feb. I believe how it goes is that if the little critter
sees his shadow, there'll be 6 more weeks of winter. If he doesn't see
his shadow, the notion is that there won't be but it's really undefined.
If he sees a female groundhog, things spring-up immediately, however.

I've heard of Q and A, what's Q and E? -Question and enigma?

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:47:11
GMT dorayme scribed:

Once a year on 2 Feb.

You have not seen Groundhog Day?
I've heard of Q and A, what's Q and E? -Question and enigma?

Queen of England

dorayme

Neredbojias said:

I still have no idea if you have seen the film?

Here are the two possible interpretations:

(1) Yep, you have seen it.

(2) Yep, the statement, "You have not seen it" is true