Inconsistent control rendering with different PCs

Guest

Hi everyone!

We have a web site with Infragistics controls and we have several sites that
access it. On some machines, the Infragistics WebCombo shows up ok
initially, but during a postback, the dropdown button disappears and it does
nothing if you click on the space where the button usually is. Also, the
value is still in the textbox portion, but it cannot be edited. I know this
is not an Infragistics newsgroup, but if this is a Microsoft issue with the
browser or something, I was going to see if it triggered anything with
anyone, since we have had this for 2 weeks with no resolution. Infragistics
is very JavaScript heavy, if that helps anyone. Also, all of the problem
PCs are in a different state and I don't think rebuilding 20 machines at 2
different sites is an option, especially since they are not internal sites.

The commonalities between the machines affected:
1. This only happens to Windows XP machines, however there are many XP
machines that work fine. We also have many Windows 2000 machines, but none
of them have this issue.
2. The PCs affected are all about the same age - 2003 - early 2004 and HP or
Compaq PCs.
3. Windows updates were not automatically turned on and someone used the
Windows XP SP2 update for multiple PCs disk at these sites, rather than
downloading from the Internet.
4. All available updates were run but it still doesn't work.
5. All machines started out with Framework 1.0 and Framework 1.1 SP1 was
installed (the framework we use in dev is 1.1 SP1.
6. All PCs, working or not are using the latest version of IE.

Known dead ends:
1. Not a caching issue, because we tried deleting the cache
2. Removing / adding popup blocker doesn't affect it
3. Whether XP SP2 is installed or not doesn't matter
4. There doesn't seem to be a 3rd party software installed that is common
between the problem machines that isn't on the ones that work.
5. Uninstalling / reinstalling updates doesn't work.
6. The HMTL renders exactly the same between a PC that works and one that
doesn't. Did "View Source" on both a working PC and a non-working one that
were both XP SP2. Did source on the initial load and after postback, and
both files were the same on both machines.
7. We have tried changing all kinds of security settings in IE, but can't
get it to work.

Question: What would make a control render differently when it has the same
HTML? I'm suspecting the JavaScript links could be messing up somehow, but
not sure what to check.

One strange behavior on the page is that you can tell immediately if it is
going to do it or not, because it starts by saying it is downloading 400 and
something items and takes a long time, and normally it comes right up
without showing number of items being downloaded. Also, the form blanks out
and the only thing that is visible is an ASP built in dropdownlist.

Has anyone seen anything even remotely like this? We have been fighting
this issue for 2 weeks and can't even convert one of our sites to the new
system because of this.

Thanks,
MH

Guest

FYI - we installed FireFox on one of the problem PCs, and although there
were some funky formatting issues, the Infragistics WebCombos worked, so
this seems to point to a browser setting or something IE-related. We check
all the security settings and did everything we could there, we thought....
Any other ideas on what setting we could be missing? Don't know if this
could affect what things we need to check, but it is a HTTPS site.

Thanks!
MH