Increase Image Quality of Charts (CR.NET)

Don Wash

Hi There!

I'm using CrystalReportsViewer control in my ASP.NET page to display the
report.

How do I increase the image quality of charts produced by Crystal Reports
..NET report file?

Many Thanks,
Don

Guest

Image quality? I know the control has a zoom property that can be set at design time to have the report zoomed at a level of your choosing. Try that and see how it goes

Don Wash

No, I mean currently it is rendered as JPG. I want to render as better JPG
quality or better image formats such as PNG.

Is that possible in Crystal Reports?

Don

Tampa .NET Koder said:
Image quality? I know the control has a zoom property that can be set at
design time to have the report zoomed at a level of your choosing. Try that
and see how it goes

Guest

I doubt you can do this; but you probably can't do much with the version included with VS.NET anyways. So, you may have to visit thier website and see if other options are avaliable

Martiankeeper

Aha ... I have a solution for this. :cool:

Crystal Reports .NET (the version bundled with Microsoft Visual Studi
.NET) has a number of features missing, but probably the most annoyin
is the low resolutions on charts and graphs.

It is possible to improve this however in *TWO WAYS!*

_DISCLAIMER_-_THIS_INVOLVES_EDITING_THE_REGISTRY._IT_IS_HIGHLY_RECOMMENDED_THAT_YOU_BACKUP_YOUR_REGISTRY_BEFORE_MAKING_CHANGES!_I_DO_NOT_ACCEPT_ANY_LIABILITY_FOR_THE_CONSEQUENCES_OF_ANYONE_MAKING_CHANGES_TO_THEIR_REGISTRY_BASED_ON_THE_INSTRUCTIONS_IN_THIS_POST!

Firstly .. You need to add two Registry fixes.
Open the following .. Start --> Run --> regedit

Open the following Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -->
Software -->
Seagate Software -->
Crystal Reports -->
Export

Add a DWORD value called -BitMapMagnifDenominator-. Give it the valu
of _1_

Add a second DWORD value called -BitMapMagnifNumerator-.
The value you should give this, is the same as the factor by which yo
want to scale up the resolution of your charts.
For example, if you want 2x the quality .. enter a value of 2.
If you want 5x the quality .. enter a value of 5.
(I found that either 2 or 3 gave a good enough quality for 99% o
charting .. even at 400% zoom)

Once editing is done .. close regedit .. recompile (or reload) you
.NET application .. and fire up those reports! Let me know how it goe
.. and hopefully all will be good.

-NOTE - INCREASING THE RESOLUTION OF CHARTS THIS WAY WILL IMPACT YOU
PROGRAMS IN 2 WAYS. (1) THE IMAGE RESOLUTION BEING BIGGER WILL INCREAS
THE MEMORY REQUIREMENTS. GOING FROM X2 TO X3 INCREASED THE MEMORY USAG
OF A SMALL CRYSTAL REPORT VIEWER WINDOWS FORM APP BY OVER 15MB!. (2
THE IMAGE SIZES ARE ALSO LARGER FOR WEB FORMS .. SO YOUR CRYSTAL REPOR
PAGES ON ASP.NET PROJECTS WILL TAKE LONGER TO LOAD!

Secondly... If you are running ASP.NET web forms, then the Crysta
Engine will use the same desktop resolution on the web-server t
generate the reports. So if your desktop is running at 256 colour, the
the graphs, charts and images will be rendered in 256 colour. So .. mak
sure your ageing web-server's resolution is up to scratch

Soo .. thats it!

enjoy everyone

Lemme know how you get on! :D

Martiankeepe

Martiankeeper

*bump*

awwww c'mon .. it took me MONTHS to finally find this ... you can't b
telling me I was the only person using Visual Studio who couldn't wor
out how to increase CR.NET chart quality?

not a single comment?

:( *snif

Kevin Spencer

Perhaps you should be asking Crystal Reports?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

Martiankeeper

Juan said:
OK, do you want a virtual pat on the head or on your back ?

;-)
[/QUOTE]

hehe .. well .. either :)

But to be honest I was hoping I would get some feedback to see i
anyone else was having this problem. I used Crystal Report Write
Professional for years .. and when I came to CR.NET I was appalled a
the chart output quality ...

Now .. either there was something I missed (which makes me a complet
idiot, and award for "biggest newbie" wouldn't go amiss) ... or I ha
the same problem as everyone else (which means this post could b
immensely useful).

I have searched and searched and searched ... from all sorts of De
forums, the Business Objects (a.k.a. Crystal Reports) website
knowledgebase, forums and FAQ ...
finally (literally over 6 months after I first started looking) I foun
this little RegEdit gem ... and thought I'd share it ..

now .. has anyone even found this useful?

(thanks for the pat by the way .. appreciated ;) plsthxbye!